Audi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Wondering if anyone has any ideas, I've had the OEM Ipod adapter retrofitted to the RNS-E for a while now
and when there is a gap in a track, or a quiet section, I get a weird electric noise in the background that
is quite noticeable.

This happens when the engine is on or off (i.e. not alternator whine).

I'm pretty sure the adapter has no chassis ground as such, so not sure what could be the problem?
Any one else heard something similar/any ideas?

Many Thanks
Harry

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I had the same with the Audi iPod adapter and went back to the Dnesion iceLink for that and some other reasons.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahh ha, thanks. Does the Denison ice link replace the Cd changer interface like the oem one ?

I.e. you access via CD Changer source?
Does it bring up track names rather than just Track 1, etc. ?

Many Thanks
Cheers
Harry

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The Icelink is a plug and play replacement to the Audi iPod adapter, you can even keep the same cables. And no, it doesn't display titles on the head unit either.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
TAnd no, it doesn't display titles on the head unit either.
No interface that connects via the CD changer input can.

It's a design limitation caused by the (very old) design of the CD changer interface.

The only way around this is if somebody develops an iPod interface that connects like the Sirius & XM tuners (i.e. CD changer interface for audio and CAN bus for data and control). Hopefully this is what the interface that PROXUS has people working on will be like.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies again, and good to know the limitations of the current design, I kind of expected the cd changer to support CD Text, but obviously not ;)

As for the noise on the existing OEM adaptor, any one know how this could potentially be fixed or are we stuck with it ?

Thanks

·
Registered
996 Posts
PetrolDave said:
AudiA4B6US said:
TAnd no, it doesn't display titles on the head unit either.
No interface that connects via the CD changer input can.

It's a design limitation caused by the (very old) design of the CD changer interface.

The only way around this is if somebody develops an iPod interface that connects like the Sirius & XM tuners (i.e. CD changer interface for audio and CAN bus for data and control). Hopefully this is what the interface that PROXUS has people working on will be like.
Yup. The other solution is to sell your Audi and buy a BMW. Their cdc interfaces will recognize ipod artist and track info.

:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts