Audi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The factory fitted glovebox CD changer in my 2003 B6 S4 (with NavPlus RNS-D) has stopped working. :(

If you try to select a CD, the changer repeatedly tries to load each disk in turn, one after the other. At the same time, the disc lights on the changer are trying to mimic the the bridge of the USS Enterprise (sp?)! Numbers 1, 3, & 5 light up together, then 2, 4, & 6 together. This repeats for quite a few cycles, and then they light up individually in sequence, one after the other - 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 6 - again repeating for a few cycles, before eventually stopping. :?

None of the buttons on the changer respond to pushes.

The Navi display screen top half reads "check magazine" whilst it is cycling through the discs, and then "error" after it has finished. The bottom half reads "no cd 1" "no cd 2" etc all the time.

I have pulled the radio fuse for a while, which also kills the CD changer, but the problem returns.

Independent Bosch dealer states VAG-COM unable to communicate with CD changer.

The Audi stealer says the unit is faulty, and wishes to lighten my wallet for £300 for a replacement changer! :shock:

Any ideas anyone?

Rgds

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Teutonic_Tamer said:
There's no direct diagnostic connection to the CD changer, only via the RNS-D - so they're correct in saying that. Having said that the RNS-D should be storing fault codes regarding the CD changer.

Teutonic_Tamer said:
The Audi stealer says the unit is faulty, and wishes to lighten my wallet for £300 for a replacement changer! :shock:
IMHO unless you can find a broken connection, either the CD changer interface on the RNS-D is faulty or the CD changer itself is faulty.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PetrolDave said:
Teutonic_Tamer said:
There's no direct diagnostic connection to the CD changer, only via the RNS-D - so they're correct in saying that. Having said that the RNS-D should be storing fault codes regarding the CD changer.
OK, they didn't actually explain that there is no direct comms with the changer. Just looking at the print-out, posting the relevent modules below;

Chassis Type: 8E - Audi A4 B6/B7
Scan: 01 02 03 08 09 0F 11 15 16 17 18 36 37 45 46 55 56 57 65 67 69 75 76 77

Address 37: Navigation
Part No: 8E0 035 192 BX
Component: RNS 4.2 H06 BNO 0140
No fault code found

Address 56: Radio
Part No: 8E0 035 192 BX
Component: Radio BNO 0001
Coding: 00017
Shop #: WSC 00216
No fault code found

PetrolDave said:
Teutonic_Tamer said:
IMHO unless you can find a broken connection, either the CD changer interface on the RNS-D is faulty or the CD changer itself is faulty.
The VAG-COM printout was 4 pages long, with a whole list of fault codes - I have already had 2 or 3 new SatNav head units replaced under warranty (and they STILL have not worked out how to re-code it for the Bose amps and speakers), when the initial fault was caused by a bug in the 2003 software on the Nav CDs!

I am getting repeated battery drain problems, which the dealer has yet to resolve, indeed the car is now out of warranty!!!! Could repeated low battery voltage have toasted my CD changer?

Rgds

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Go to another dealer!

I had a problem with the TV tuner on my 2003 S4 Avant (defaulted back to German TV settings), so it was pretty obvious that it was the TV tuner that was faulty. However, Audi UK insisted that the RNS-D was changed first (under warranty) and that was re-coded Ok for Bose - TV fault still there (as expected), so they also swapped the TV tuner (again under warranty) and the problem went away.

Seems like your dealer is totally clueless regarding the sat nav systems, so you've got nothing to lose by going to another dealer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PetrolDave said:
Go to another dealer!

I had a problem with the TV tuner on my 2003 S4 Avant (defaulted back to German TV settings), so it was pretty obvious that it was the TV tuner that was faulty. However, Audi UK insisted that the RNS-D was changed first (under warranty) and that was re-coded Ok for Bose - TV fault still there (as expected), so they also swapped the TV tuner (again under warranty) and the problem went away.

Seems like your dealer is totally clueless regarding the sat nav systems, so you've got nothing to lose by going to another dealer.
Ahh - but this is the third dealer already. The previous two refused to accept there was any fault with the operation of the SatNav. If I try a 4th dealer, will it be out of the frying pan, and into the fire, because they all seem to display varying levels of muppetery!

Any thoughts on the low battery voltage, bu&&ering up the CD changer? Or am I chasing a red herring?

Rgds

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Teutonic_Tamer said:
Any thoughts on the low battery voltage, bu&&ering up the CD changer? Or am I chasing a red herring?
It's possible, but IMHO unlikely.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm tempted to leave it actually, as I'll be trading it in for an RS4, but it has 6 of my favorite CDs in it, and they won't eject! :(

I'd pull it out myself, and open it up, but I don't have the removal keys - do the usual ICE dealers sell them over the counter?

Are the CD changers plug-and-play? Would be cheaper than paying for the upkeep of the Ivory Tower that is the main dealer!

Rgds

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Teutonic_Tamer said:
I'd pull it out myself, and open it up, but I don't have the removal keys - do the usual ICE dealers sell them over the counter?

Are the CD changers plug-and-play? Would be cheaper than paying for the upkeep of the Ivory Tower that is the main dealer!
You should be able to get the removal keys from somewhere like Halfrauds, you'll need one pair (the double DIN radios need 2 pairs).

The CD changer connects to the RNS-D using a single cable, so it's definitely plug'n'play.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, problem fixed.

Removed the changer, opened her up, and found one of the discs had jammed - don't know how though! It took a surprising amount of force to "persuade" the disk back into the platter tray of the internal stack. I then carefully extracted all the CDs, breaking the rougue one that had been jammed (could have already been damaged, hence the jam ?!?!).

Closed the changer up, refitted back into the car - voilla! one working CD changer, saving me £300 in the process (less one CD and one finger nail :lol: )

Thanks for your advice 8)

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Teutonic_Tamer said:
voilla! one working CD changer, saving me £300 in the process (less one CD and one finger nail :lol: )
Result!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts