Audi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looks like Audi came up with iPod solution.
part # is 8E0 051 444
price ~ $190

#pdf brochure

Unfortunately it looks like iceLink clone. It doesn't say if we will be able to see track titles or just numbers. I suspect that functionality and control screen will be simillar to Phatnoise or IceLinkPlus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
TeddyBGame said:
it also doesn't say whether or not this is connected behind the HU or in the trunk. I would imagine that this is just the version that connects behind the HU (Sym I/II/RNS-E etc).
We need an iPod adapter that connects to the SAT interface so it can understand CD TEXT.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,350 Posts
JakBeatZ said:
We need an iPod adapter that connects to the SAT interface so it can understand CD TEXT.
It's not quite that simple - there isn't a "SAT interface" as such. The SAT tuner connects to both the CD changer interface and the CAN bus.

Audio is sent along the CD changer interface, and control & information signals are sent over the CAN bus.

Having said that, it shouldn't be an impossible task to create an iPod interface that has the same characteristics.

Only trouble is that would only work for you folks in the US (we don't have the SAT functionality on the EU units) - so the likelihood of Audi (in Germany) developing it is IMHO pretty close to zero.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,767 Posts
... unless someone at Audi wakes up, sees the market for such a device and adds this little piece via software update to the RNS-E (both US and EU software). It's all software anyway, all you need is a head unit which expects a certain devices on the CAN bus and a device which has an audio through like the US SAT receiver. Still unlikely since it wouldn't work with any of todays radios (which aren't updatable via software AFAIK).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
PetrolDave said:
It's not quite that simple - there isn't a "SAT interface" as such. The SAT tuner connects to both the CD changer interface and the CAN bus.

Audio is sent along the CD changer interface, and control & information signals are sent over the CAN bus.

Having said that, it shouldn't be an impossible task to create an iPod interface that has the same characteristics.

Only trouble is that would only work for you folks in the US (we don't have the SAT functionality on the EU units) - so the likelihood of Audi (in Germany) developing it is IMHO pretty close to zero.
Is the CAN bus proprietary, such that a third party can't develop a system to interface with it and the CD interface to make this all happen?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
737 Posts
What about the Ice Link Plus? Doesn't that display track info the RNS-E? I believe its new and haven't heard anything about it other than an ad in a magazine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
todd1010 said:
What about the Ice Link Plus? Doesn't that display track info the RNS-E? I believe its new and haven't heard anything about it other than an ad in a magazine.
No, it doesn't show track info because it uses the CD Changer interface which doesn't support CD text so no playlist and/or track | artist | song names are seen on the RNS. Only playlist numbers and track numbers.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,350 Posts
JakBeatZ said:
Is the CAN bus proprietary, such that a third party can't develop a system to interface with it and the CD interface to make this all happen?
The hardware is not proprietary but the message protocol is - e.g the TMC box used with the RNS-D has to translate between 2 different "dialects" of the CAN bus even within one car!

To write such a box needs a detailed understanding of the protocol on that particular CAN bus, either by access to the proprietary protocol specification or by spending many hours with an expensive protocol analyser examining the messages.

Not a job to be taken lightly ...
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top