Audi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I finally installed my RNS-E today - firstly let me thank everyone on this forum for their assitance and guidance and willingness to share from their knowledge and experience.

This install went into my B7 A4 with the standard Symphony II - so was a very straight forward install.

RNS-E unit installed was the "C" version.
Wiring harness and antenna adaptor from Kufatec (checked against TeddyB's detailed documents!) was all good.

After install - booted up RNS-E without any maps to check verion number and had SW0100, so all good as the Australian Map I had (V 9) was SW0110 (backup copy using Nero)

Installed the DVD and it was immediately recognised and updated the software. After restart - requested DVD navigation map - even though it was installed - removed and re-inserted a few times no luck.

Went to a mechanic friend who had VAG-COM cable, after re-coding according to my options etc - the RNS-E immediately recognised the DVD map and loaded correctly.

A friend (Alister on this forum) has seen the new V12 Aussie maps and they are SW0360, so hopefully will try and get this copy soon....

Next options are CD-Changer and Bluetooth but not in too much of a rush now.

Thanks again to all who assisted.

NOTE: We dont get the Warning screen on our nav units - so SUFFER :lol:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Nice work - as I said I only hope mine goes as smoothly (with the double din conversion and all!).. :?

You've got your work cut out for you too by the sounds of things if you're going to install the OEM CD changer!

Whilst the functionality won't be nearly as good, I think I'll just stick with my Motorola bluetooth car kit (HF-850) rather than part with another $700 USD odd for the OEM bluetooth kit.. Would be awesome to have though.

Post up some pics when you get the chance!

·
Registered
530 Posts
BTW you're right about the map disk - the files in the IDX directory date back to December 2003..

We'll have to get our hands on the V.12 disk...........

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hopefully I can get work to pay for the bluetooth parts :D - not holding my breath but you never know if you dont ask!

Yeah the map files are pretty old - but at least good to see it in action.

Will take photos and post...or might even drop in and see you in the city one day!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well if your work insists on paying for it it'd be rude not to take it right?!

Yep, as you say, old maps are better than no Nav operation at all.

If you're coming through the city I'd love to check it out.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Congratulations and enjoy the new toy. It would be great if you could post the coding for your RNS-E and what the tech changed to make the DVD recognized. I remember that some had a problem to get the newer DVD working although the documented settings were set properly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks AudiA4B6US

First - here is the equipmet I have in my car and the basis for some of the settings used - Bose, no cd-changer (soon), no Bluetooth (soon), Right hand drive, Km/h units.

Also have the basic DIS - no colour DIS in Oz except for the S4.

(I actually did the coding while the mechanic watched on in amazement - knowledge is power :twisted: )

RNS-E VAG-COM Codes

Sec 17 Adaption Ch 62
Old=17 New=21 Desc: Instument Cluster + Radio + Navigation

Sec 37, Recode - 07
Old=0301211 New=0309115 Desc:A4, Diag active, Bose, No phone, No Sat tune, MFSW

Sec 37, Adaption 10
Ch 1 Old=1960 New=1960 Tyre Size - 235/45 ZR17 (should be 1964 - but i didn't change it)
Ch 2 Old=45 New=45 GALA
Ch 3 Old=0 New=1 Language - 1=UK English
Ch 5 Old=1 New=1 Video in Motion 0=off ,1=5km/h
Ch 7 Old=0 New=4 Settings +04=time in am/pm format
Ch 8 Old=3 New=255 GALA Characteristics Bose Audiopilot
Ch 10 Old=0 New=1 Region Southern Hemisphere
Ch 136 Old=3226 New=2632 Voice Commands RHD Europe :twisted:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts