Audi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, been reading through just about every post regarding vag coding that is on this and other audi websites. It is obvious that we all need ross tech and vag com software, however, it is not quite obvious to me that we need the VERY expensive cables. We've definitely got to get some clarification on this deal with generic cables working with Vag-com.

I'm a BIG fan of ross-tech....they helped me back in 01 when I had a 99.5 A4. However, I used to work in the automotive engineering business, and there is no reason we should have to pay $349 for a simple cable that has 2 k lines and a CAN line. I'm happy to pay for the software licensce, because that's paying for development time. But the cable is another matter.

Please, anyone who has gotten a generic cable to work with a version high enough to communicate with the RNS-E post where we can get them!

·
Registered
19 Posts
With the new cables, the cable price IS the license, as the cable serves as the hardware key that verifies that you are the rightful owner of the software.

I personally think this is a great system, as I only use VAG-COM when I make upgrades and changes in my system. If I upgrade my laptop and then need to use VAG-COM, I can just download the latest version of the software with no hassles at all and get to work. No keys to enter, no activation, just install the software and go.

On the other hand, I forgot to uninstall the license on my Bentley's CD before I wiped my hard drive, so now I can't use it.

357 Posts
I was able to code the RNS-E using a generic cable and vag com 409.1 (full version). Haven't had to do the bluetooth yet, but that looks like it will need the newest Vag Com which I will be buying a little later.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
daves_s6 said:
On the other hand, I forgot to uninstall the license on my Bentley's CD before I wiped my hard drive, so now I can't use it.
Contact Bentley and explain, they'll help you out.

I installed Vista on my laptop fully expecting eBahn to work and .... it doesn't (yet) ... I contacted them and they disabled the licence that my laptop used to use and created me a new one - which I'll use when they have a Vista compatible update of eBahn.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok heres how I managed to get a 3rd party cable to work with vag com.

Firstly, unless it is a branded cable supplied with a suitable driver VAG-COM will not 'see' it as a usb device regardless of the version you are using.
To overcome this (providing you are using Windows XP) simply plug the USB connector into the laptop (the other end doesn't need to be plugged into the car at this point) and allow Windows to install the "standard USB-Serial driver".(these drivers can be found quite easily on the net).

Go into the Control Panel, then to System, and click on the Hardware tab, next select Device Manager.

Once the new window opens you will find a cable under the Ports section, (It will say USB serial) right click on it and select Properties. Once in there, simply change the COM port it was using to one between 1 and 4 (that isnt already in use) and save the settings.

Reopen VAG-COM and in the Options tab select the COM port you selected for your cable to and hit the Test button - hey presto - it works!

This seems to work 99% of the time, unless you have purchased a really bad quality cable, which i must say are few and far between now, however if it costs you less than £15 then beware its probably rubbish.

I have done this with around 15 to 20 cables now and have never failed, however you do so at you own risk.

Let me know how you get on
Best regards
Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts