Audi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All... I'm hoping someone can give me some advice, so thanks in advance!

My RNS-E in my 2004 A3 has decided to stop showing the TV image from the Dietz 1491 Tuner. I know the tuner is working, as i've checked that, so can only think that the Dietz 1451 IMU has deceided to stop processing the video input.

Is there anyway i can tap into the output leads of the IMU (going into the RNS-E) to check it's sending an image?

If th IMU is fine, then is there anything that needs checking on the RNS-E?

I'm completly lost why it's stopped!

Thanks.

Chris

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Do you see TV not installed or just a black picture?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, i should have explained...

I get a black screen with the occasional thin line appearing at the bottom. All the other functions of the RNS-E work fine. The TV in motion note appears and disappeats as normal, i just get no video image.

This is why i wanted to check (if possible) the video input into the RNS-E from the Dietz IMU.

I'll be glad of any thoughts and questions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
In case you are certain the the composite video source you are using is OK and you don't get the TV not installed message I would suspect a bad solder point inside the IMU. If the IMU is similar to the 1417 you can open the case and see the 3 RCA connectors. Those a simply soldered to the board an dthat's the first I would check. If that doesn't help it will be more complicate. I doubt that the RGB in on the RNS-E is broken but to check the RGB out from the IMU you would need to connect an RGB video monitor (not a PC screen) or oscilloscope and see what the signal looks like.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

The thing is, I've sent the IMU back to Dietz and they've sent me (i think) another one back, and I've still got the same problem. Which is way i wanted to somehow see if there was a video output.

I can't believe i've had two faulty IMU's, in which case it's either the lead or the RNS-E.

I've had a good look at the lead and tested each wire. Other than borrowing someone elses RNS-E, i can't really understand where everything's gone wrong?!?

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts