Audi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am in the process of upgrading from a Symphony II to a RNS-E nav.

Should be pretty easy, as it's a 2005 A4 Avant (Euro spec, as I am in the UK)

So in theory, it should be a plug and pray job!

The great Haggie (Albert) has supplied the kit I need, and yesterday/today I have been looking at fitment.

The CD changer cable was a mini-din type, so thanks to NSX-JR's pin-out diagram, I have sorted that bit out.
CD Changer now fires up, and loads/ejects CD etc...

Now my problems it this...
All fitted into the car,
Fired up the RNS-E unit, and loaded the nav dvd.
The Nav bitch talks to me, and tells me she is calculating the route - perfect!
But, I cannot play music on the radio or the CD changer.
Interestingly the CD players doesn't show the time progressing - it's almost like it is paused or something.
The radio has picked up local stations automatically - so i can see the aerial is connected fine.
Also, CAN bus is working, as the time is picked up from the intrument panel.

The other thing is the mute sign. This is a picture next to TMC sign of a speaker with a line through it.
This is continuosly lit, and i cannot cancel the mute by single pressing the vol control.

I am thinking there could be an issue with the telephone mute lead, as i believe this would pause the CD wouldn't it?

The phone kit works fine normally, as through the original symphony II it works with no problems.

Any ideas team?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Have you tried resetting the unit, radio&setup for 10 seconds

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes - also tried holding the power down for 30 secs

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Did you check if the Mute wire is connected to ground?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes - based on the diagram of the Symphony II to RNS-E plug and play adapter diagram on the brilliant NSX-JR site it looks like my cable is slightly different.
http://www.nsxjr.com./docs/RNStoSym2.pdf

There are two yellow wires in pin 11 of the D: power connector

The first yellow goes to pin 1 of the IV connector as the guide correctly says.

The second goes to pin 2 of the III connector.

It says in the guide that pin 2 of the III connector should be connected to pin 14 of the D: power connector.

In actuality - this isn't connected to anything (ie the hole is empty)

Would this effect things?
Do you guys think it is the cable at fault here?

Thanks,
Grant.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Connector III/2 is ground, no wonder why your RNS-E is muted if this is connected to D11. Remove the pin from III/2 and see what happens. Some people say they don't have III/2 connected to anything but if you do it should go to D14 and not D11.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
2nd Dirk's response above. Your unit is picking up the alarm GND wire for TEL mute because the harness is incorrect.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

Guys - you've done it again!

Taking out the second yellow lead from pin 2 of the III connector has worked a treat!

Thanks all so so much for your input - i am now have an installed and working RNS-E!

Regards,

Grant.

·
Registered
996 Posts
NSX JR said:
2nd Dirk's response above. Your unit is picking up the alarm GND wire for TEL mute because the harness is incorrect.
Yes, some of the kufatec wiring harnesses are wired for both a B6, B5 and C5 together at once....and one size does not fit all in this case.

Am I surprised that this is still happening: Not really.

:)

Good stuff. Lee and Dirk are the resident "Nav Doctors". ha!!

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Its not the Kufatec harnesses that are wrong, it is the non Kufatec cheap harnesses that are incorrect and come with 2 wires to the mute pin.

I have never received a kufatec harness with 2 wires to the mute pin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.