Audi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, I installed the RNS-E, Bluetooth and Audi ipod interface to my 06 A4 avant last night. I have some problems need help from you guys. I understand I have to use VAG program to change some setting to make it work probably but I don’t have time to do it last night. After I installed, the navigation is working OK but the radio and CD didn’t have sound. At the bottom of the screen, it always shows a mute icon (speaker w/ slash on it). Second problem is when I connect the ipod nano to the ipod interface, it can’t play. The screen only shows safe to disconnect. Third problem is the RNS-E is always has some sound coming out even I turn off my car for whole night. The sound likes a running fan from the unit. Is it normal or not?I am worry it will drain out my battery. Am I doing something wrong or after I use VAG program, all the problems will gone? I have PnP harness for RNS-e but I need to connect the tel harness by myself. Below is my connection

Tel mute – connector D11
Tel infotainment bus – connector D9
Tel infotainment bus – connector D10
Tel ground – connector D12
Tel power – connector D15
Tel module audio in – connector C6
Tel module audio in – connector C12
Tel K line – connector B5

Please let me know your opinions. Thank you very much

·
Registered
479 Posts
Can't help you with the Ipod, but I'm sure someone who can will be along soon.

The mute problem could be as simple as having to press the power button momentarily while the RNS-E is already powered up. If you have the latest software the power button has two functions, press and hold to turn off, press and release to mute.

There is a fan in the RNS-E and if it is staying on it sound like it is not receiving the CAN signals correctly, do the RNS-E lights come on with your car lights ? also does the RNS-E appear to power down when you remove the ignition key ?

Several people have had flat batteries as a result.

VAG-COM is required to get the various units to interact correctly, but should not effect the basic operation of the unit, here is a link to my Excel spreadsheet that list most of the common codes, http://www.daveg6hni.f9.co.uk/downloads/AUDI_CODES_via_VGA-COM.xls

My Kufatec cable had the following markings and went to the following pins,

BT CONNECTOR
==============
NF- = C-PIN6
NF+ = C-PIN12
DIAG = B-PIN5 - K-Line
CAN HI = D-PIN9
CAN LO = D-PIN10
+12V = D-PIN15 - Ref/White
GND = D-PIN12 - Brown

Basically the same but I do not have the Tel Mute wire !

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
The sound issue is usually becuase you have the crappy 2 mute leads on your adaptor.

Check your Tel Mute connector D11, trace is back and see where it goes, I suspect it has two connections and one of them is connected to a ground wire on the power harness. Disconnect and remove this wire.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks craigyb. Finally I fix the problem. I find out that D11 connector also has a wire connected to SymphonyII connector III pin 2 which is alarm gnd. I connect that back to D 14 and the problem is gone. Also the ipod is working too. Now my only problem left the bluetooth and DIS which I need to use vag to recode. I try to use 4.07 program and wire from ebay and it is not working. I think i have to find someone who has Ross cable and late version software to recode it for me. Again thanks everyone who reply my post.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Yet another plug'n'play adapter with the phone mute signal incorrectly wired - this seems to be becoming a larger problem recently.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I compare the PnP harness and find out the wiring is for Symphony I, not for Symphony II. Both wiring is really close, just only few wire is differnet. The mute wire is the one different between each other. This causes me a problem. For people who want to install bluetooth w/ rns-e double check the pin D11 to see is that has two wire if yes, cut the wire whcih end female connector III pin 2 and connect back to D14. The problem will be solve.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
PetrolDave said:
Yet another plug'n'play adapter with the phone mute signal incorrectly wired - this seems to be becoming a larger problem recently.
It's always the same ones, I have 3 or 4 supplied with the dual tel mute connected to the 10 pin and 8 pin connectors.

Not an issue if you now what you are doing, but for noobs it can be quite frustrating as the adaptors are sold as PnP.

Not Kufatec by the way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts