Audi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
strange things happened yesterday w/ the Nav... for whatever reasons it stopped receiving signal from the satelites... the unit has been installed for pobably a year now, and it's been working just fine until yesterday...

it does pick up a satelite every now and then, but not long enough to update the position... currently i'm driving in the middle of the Pacific... :roll: :wink:

the antenna is located behind the cluster:

i did add a wire for my Lidatek on Sat, but the Nav worked for a good hour before it started showing sign of losing signals. i do plan on relocating the antenna behind the glove box, just b/c it's starting to get really crowded behind the cluster w/ all the V1 stuff...

and i'll also need to add the Lidatek control modules...

i'm actually hoping it's just the antenna connector that somehow got lose, so i'm gonna pull the unit out and take a look...

anyway... i'll report back later about what i found but if any of you guys have experienced the same kind of situation let me know... TIA!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
It does sound like your antenna has just died for some reason. Try replacing it and hopefully that will solve your problem.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i think you might be right... checked all the connections and nothing came lose... moving the antenna around didn't do anything, not that i was expecting it would...

so i guess i need to find a new antenna...

·
Registered
149 Posts
GPS antennas live their own life!

Believe me.. you're not the first one with a sudden death GPS antenna!
Fortunately they are very cheap.. so just replace the antenna and everything will be back to normal..

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i tried ejecting the DVD, turning off the unit, turning off the car... even the next day, i.e. yesterday, the number of satelites was still 0...

when it first started showing sign of lost signal i thought it was b/c i was on a back road in the forest, maybe some bad reception, especially since it started working fine again, but after an hour or so, the position/course just got way off and then just stopped... only the direction, i.e. the compass, was working...

got me a new antenna on order from Euro-Parts... should be here in a couple of days... hoping that's just that...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well here's an update... i got the new antenna this afternoon so i went back at it... now one thing i also did before installing the antenna was to unplug the RNS-E unit and remove its fuse... anyway... i plugged everything back in including the new antenna but still didn't get any satelites... so i took the car for a drive, and finally things started working again...

now for whatever reasons i became suspicious that it might not have been an antenna problem after all... so i put the old antenna back and well it worked... so i guess i bought an new antenna for nothing, and i still don't know what happened...

however one thing that is now different and annoying to me is this...

i'm now getting that crossed TMC sign in the cluster display... what the heck??? this is the first time i see that... i've never seen it before... have i fallen off the face of the Earth and this is a known thing that i completely missed before... i know it wasn't there until today...

·
Registered
530 Posts
The crossed out TMC icon will go away after a while. Once it works out that it never receives it it will stop showing the crossed out icon.

Good to hear it is all working again though!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well that's good to hear b/c i know this would have annoyed me pretty fast if it was to be permanent... :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.