Audi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After completing the installation of my RNS-E (serial no.4BO O35 192P) in a 2004 C5 A6, everything worked perfectly, apart from no navi information in the DIS (not colour). The DIS displays radio/cd/mp3 etc. A friendly Audi dealership has checked the VagCom settings in particular Module 17, Adaption 10 and Channel 62 has a value of 5. However still no navi information is displayed. The dealer commented that it is possible my RNS-E might only work with a coloured DIS.

Would greatly appreciate any assistance as I would like to have the navi info dispayed in the DIS as it is one of the main features above a non factory unit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have you tried turning on and off the rns-e after the car is running? The red dis should come on then, but for some reason it won't work after ignition.

Ali

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried turning on and off the rns-e after the car is running? The red dis should come on then, but for some reason it won't work after ignition.

Ali

Hi

I have tried this by makes no difference.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
What was the original value in channel 62? Some clusters have already 17 set, so adding 4 for Navi would result in 21. If yours was 1 then 5 would be to correct value. However, some have reported that 5 works for them even though they had 21 originally.

The red DIS issue is a A4 B6 issue only and shouldn't occur with a A6 C5 DIS. I would recommend to turn on the RNS-E compass which will somehow forth the DIS in Navi mode. Also try resetting the RNS-E (press RADIO and SETUP until it reboots) and/or do the magic "wait overnight" trick.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your suggestions. The compass is switched on but makes no difference. I will try the reset and wait overnight to see if that works.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The red DIS issue is a A4 B6 issue only and shouldn't occur with a A6 C5 DIS. I would recommend to turn on the RNS-E compass which will somehow forth the DIS in Navi mode. Also try resetting the RNS-E (press RADIO and SETUP until it reboots) and/or do the magic "wait overnight" trick.[/quote]

I have tried the above suggestions but still no navi information in the DIS. The RNS-E compass has no effect at all in that nothing shows up on the RNS-E screen which indicates the compass is selected or otherwise. The DIS is definately receiving signals from the RNS-E because radio/cd/mp3 info is shown at the top of the DIS?

Any further assistance would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
hutton1969 said:
The RNS-E compass has no effect at all in that nothing shows up on the RNS-E screen which indicates the compass is selected or otherwise. The DIS is definately receiving signals from the RNS-E because radio/cd/mp3 info is shown at the top of the DIS?
When you enable the compass on the RNS-E it should appear on the DIS - whenever you do NOT have a route entered - NOTHING will appear on the RNS-E (other than a tick in the compass box).

If the compass doesn't appear on the DIS and the radio/cd/MP3 information does then that means you definitely have a working CAN connection (because the radio/cd/MP3 info appears) but that the coding of the DIS is incorrect (because the compass doesn't appear).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the information. The compass is not reading on the DIS and I agree it appears that the coding is the lilely culprit. The car is going back to the dealership next week although they are mainatining that the non colour DIS is the cause.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
hutton1969 said:
Thanks for the information. The compass is not reading on the DIS and I agree it appears that the coding is the lilely culprit. The car is going back to the dealership next week although they are mainatining that the non colour DIS is the cause.
That's just not true, in fact it works fine in my '01 that has an older cluster than yours. I can snap a picture if you want so you can take it to them for proof.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Are you sure you have the display set in navi mode or does it display the trip computer (MPG, Miles remaining, etc).

The button on the underside of the right hand stalk, which used to turn the display on and off, now cycles through off->trip computer->navi display.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bjarne said:
Are you sure you have the display set in navi mode or does it display the trip computer (MPG, Miles remaining, etc).

The button on the underside of the right hand stalk, which used to turn the display on and off, now cycles through off->trip computer->navi display.

Just a thought.
Thanks. I tried this but the DIS cylcles off>trip copmputer>off. It doesn't seem to recive the avi dispay for some reason.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's just not true, in fact it works fine in my '01 that has an older cluster than yours. I can snap a picture if you want so you can take it to them for proof.[/quote]

A picture of your RNS-E and the DIS as proof would be great as would be clear evidence I can show to the dealership that it should work. Many thanks.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
AFAIK none of the C5 Allroad had a color DIS, and they came with the RNS-E factory installed. The color DIS was/is only an option for the B6/B7 A4 and C6 A6.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
hutton1969 said:
Thanks. I tried this but the DIS cylcles off>trip copmputer>off. It doesn't seem to receive the navi display for some reason.
For me that's pretty solid proof that the coding of the instruments is the cause of your problem.

Is there nobody with Vag-com near you (try looking on tyresmoke.net as well as here), so you don't have to rely on the "stealer"? If you can come down to the Southampton area during a weekday I can help you - but that may not be convenient for you...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PetrolDave said:
hutton1969 said:
Is there nobody with Vag-com near you (try looking on tyresmoke.net as well as here), so you don't have to rely on the "stealer"? If you can come down to the Southampton area during a weekday I can help you - but that may not be convenient for you...
It's possible I could come down to Southampton next week as not too far away (Monday pm?).

Regards

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
hutton1969 - you have a PM.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Here's two pics from my '01 DIS. My VAG coding for 17-10-62 is "5".

[siteimg:98505f6327]407[/siteimg:98505f6327]
[siteimg:98505f6327]408[/siteimg:98505f6327]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Many thanks NSX JR. The photos are very much appreciated. With your help and PetrolDave I am hopeful the problem will be resolved.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts