Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have researched all the articles on how to retrofit my 2004 A6 / C5 to an RNS-E nav system and feel comfortable with most aspects. The one area I'm confused about is the following:

1. The car came with a symphony II radio with a Sirius receiver and shark fin antenna - Does the shark fin have a GPS antenna in it?

2. Where specifically do I find the connector in the car for the extension cable? _ I removed of the light in the rear roof area and is seemed all the connectors from the antenna already had a cable hooked into them.

3. If the connect point is by the light fixture how do you get the wire to the rear seat area?

I don't know if it matters but I do not plan on having a Sirius receiver after the conversion. I have ordered the Bently manual but it's not here yet.

I would greatly appreciate any help you experts can give me in this area. Any pictures would be a big plus.

Thanks again for the help.

Ken

·
Registered
112 Posts
Cable Routing

Hi, as you have very wisely ordered the Bentey manuals, you will not have a problem. Either you can just slip the cable behind trim pieces, or for a more thorough job, remove them and tie the cable down using the cable ties Audi have provided behind the trim. The trick is to take trim off in the right order (they interlock) -see manual. Proper trim removal tools are more or less essential. Use 'Search' on this forum for something like 'trim' and you will find more info. I have recently run cables in from rear roof antenna and also for front microphone on an allroad - I found a putty knife and a nylon bi-cycle tyre removal lever very useful. The trim is held in place with some screws and several concealed and deviously positioned spring clips. Sorry, I have no photo's of this - maybe others do.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi, as you have very wisely ordered the Bentey manuals, you will not have a problem. Either you can just slip the cable behind trim pieces, or for a more thorough job, remove them and tie the cable down using the cable ties Audi have provided behind the trim. The trick is to take trim off in the right order (they interlock) -see manual. Proper trim removal tools are more or less essential. Use 'Search' on this forum for something like 'trim' and you will find more info. I have recently run cables in from rear roof antenna and also for front microphone on an allroad - I found a putty knife and a nylon bi-cycle tyre removal lever very useful. The trim is held in place with some screws and several concealed and deviously positioned spring clips. Sorry, I have no photo's of this - maybe others do.
Sorry to bring an old thread to the top, but this is the best one i could find in the search to address my question. Where exactly does the existing shark fin cable end (specifically to the B6)? anybody have any pictures of this location? From the few other things I've gathered, hooking up the shark fin GPS does not require removing the headliner, and is somewhere on the passenger side? I've searched far and wide looking for a How-to for this, without success (maybe my searching skills are weak though).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry to bring an old thread to the top, but this is the best one i could find in the search to address my question. Where exactly does the existing shark fin cable end (specifically to the B6)? anybody have any pictures of this location? From the few other things I've gathered, hooking up the shark fin GPS does not require removing the headliner, and is somewhere on the passenger side? I've searched far and wide looking for a How-to for this, without success (maybe my searching skills are weak though).
look what i found right here on the sponors web site, the photos i've been looking for!

Audi Navigation RNS-E System plug & play package, cables, accessories and service - Antennas :: Sharkfin extension cable for RNS-E

·
Registered
15 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.