Audi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I took delivery of a new US 06 A4 with Nav, Bose/Sirius, & Bluetooth w/Voice. Im some problems I am hoping I can get help with.

(before leaving the dealer, I got the newest nav maps 2a, and upon first use, the firmware was updated)

First, there doesnt seem to be any voice control No documentation on it anywhere. If I select the phone button on the MFSW, nothing happens.

Second, I can get any of the bluetooth phones I have tried to work in anything other that basic calling mode. No phonebook, recent dialed numbers, etc. All phone options other than Directory are greyed out.

I have tried:
Motorolla Razr v3c (Verizon) (Both Verizon and Alltel firmware)
Motorolla Razr v3 (Cingular)
Nokia 6230 (Cingular)

All work as a handsfree headset. None will import phonebook, recieved calls, etc. All those options are greyed out.

All three phones are listed at http://storage.audiusa.com/bluetooth.pdf as offering Phonebook Sync. Verizon lists the RAZR v3c as compatible PB Transfer with the Audi 06 A4. (http://dts.vzw.com/pdf/Motorola_carkit_RAZR_V3c.pdf)

Am I missing something?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Sounds like you have an old version of the Bluetooth module. Check the part number in VAG-COM... you need a "B" or "G" version (the letter at the end of the part number) for the phonebook functions to work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great... so I spent $50k on a new a4 cab and specifically looked for an auto with the bluetooth option, only to get one with an older bluetooth module.

I dont have a VAG-COM cable, so I cant confirm. Ill have to drop by the dealer service department this week. Would they be able to check this for me?

Also, would a new Bluetooth module just drop in place of the existing one? What about voice functions? Would an updated module add them also?

Brad

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I would say even with the "B" module you should get some of the features you are looking for. Since you are getting the missed calls option shown (even though it's greyed out), the coding should be correct. If it would be wrong you would only see "Please use your phone" on the RNS-E.

Once cause for the issue could be outdated firmware on the phone. Check the Audi PDF and make sure that you are using the version shown there.

Also, the Cabriolet doesn't support the same voice control features as the sedan or Avant. IIRC, SDS is not available for the Cabriolet but basic voice dialing should work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the Razr v3c, I know the Alltell firmware was the newest available (online). I was one version out of date on the Verizon. (To get some of the OBEX featrues back) But this (and the other phones I tried are only a few months old.

None of them have firmware revisions that even resemble the numbering lists in the Audi Doc. For example, AllTell is 4.04R, Verizon is 1.0F.02P (newest is 1.0F.03P with 04 coming out shortly). Nothing close to G_0E.40.57R listed in the Audi Doc.

As far as the voice features, I havent found any documentation in my manuals that talks about it nor any features on the RNS-E that seem to do any sort of voice calling.

Anyone out there willing to share the carrier and firmware version of their razr v3c that are working with the audi bluetooth?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I've got Verizon 01.0F.02 and everything works perfectly.

The dealership can definitely check the part number of the BT module with their scan tool.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On my way home I started playing with the stering wheel controls and I figured out that I CAN browse the phones contacts in the dashboard display using the "R/T" and "^" & "v" buttons.

Still, all the UI in the RNS-E is disabled.

I think I have read others with similar problems.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Hmmm... sounds like something is just not coded properly. If you verify that your RNS-E is running SW 0110 (go to Car->Version) and if your BT module is part number "B" or "G" then you have all the hardware and software you need... you'll just have to get the dealership to figure out the VAG coding to fix your problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know I have SW 0110. I specifically pushed the dealer to get me the newest version of the Nav software to make sure I have this software version.

I have to go to the dealer tomarrow to drop off my final payment. Ill give service a call and see if they can determine the BT module part number and VAG coding.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
sw 0110 alone won't make the phone interface talk to the RNS-E, you will also need to tell the phone interface that a head unit is connected that supports the advanced features. For a US interface in an A4 the coding should be like 0012877. Your current coding is probably 02877 or 2877 but only the leading 1 will enable the communication with the RNS-E.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Success!

With some fiddling, my dealer was able to get my TEL module to code properly and add support for RNS-E phone book browsing AND Voice control!

The VAG system they were using was saying that module 77 wasn’t installed. But it allowed us to program it through the wizard always. The options were different than has been documented here in the past, but after some guessing, everything seemed to work.

We ended up with the code 10877, which isn’t what I expected for the steering wheel type. But alas, everything seems to work as it should:

- I can still browse the phonebook and make calls in the DIS with the steering wheel controls.
- I can now initiate a voice dial by pressing on the TEL button on the steering wheel.
- And the RNS-E now correctly show the phone book, received calls, dialed calls, etc.

The only thing I have found different from the documentation is the STORE NUMBER functionality. It doesn't look like I can store a name to an existing entry in my phonebook. Every time I try to associate a name with an existing phonebook number, it always asks me to speak the number after confirming the name. So although the name storage works, I can't seem to assume an existing phone book number.

Oh well, minor quip.

I am definitely a happy camper.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same car and until this morning, had the same problem. The Telephone module soft coding was wrong from the factory!!! Only my dealer was useless and refused to help me. They kept telling me it was my phone. So, I ordered a Vag cable, downloaded the software and did it my self.

0010877 is CORRECT! Now everything works they way it says in the owners manual. But it only took me 6 months and I had to do it myself!

DON'T LET AUDI TELL YOU IT'S YOUR PHONE!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
so it works with BT module coded at 010877, great!

what however if you have a convertible A4 and have no multi-funtion steering wheel, but still want to use SDS/voice control (using the Seek Back button on the RNS-E!)?

It seems that if the RNS-E in a A4 converible is normally coded 4x3xxx (mine is 403713). Must this be changed to 3x1xx? And what about the BT module?
Mine is now 010702, must I change this to 010782 or 010722?

Thanks for your answers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know about the rns-e question, but if you have the bluetooth module set to 010702, then the voice control is off. The second to last digit controls language and voice control on or off. I know that the last two "7" digits are for US English. I believe setting your last two digits at "2" is for UK English. Therefore, I would try 010722. I'm not sure how it will work without the MFSW. Give it a try, you can always set it back to the original codes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts