Audi Forum banner

NEW SDS SYSTEM IS FULL WORKING!

42K views 165 replies 23 participants last post by  PetrolDave 
#1 ·
AudiA4B6US wrote:
Something to try (based on http://www.navi-forum.net/board/ftopic23341.html): ...................................................
Anybody out here with an RNS-E tht is hw 070, a multifunction steering wheel.........................................................

Done :) :) , with my new RNS-E version "H"HW.71 and new BT interface "M" (but I suppose also with my previous "C" interface) finally I have FULL-SDS function active. :shock: :shock:

This new feature is fantastic: I can control via-Multifunction Steering Wheel voice commands RADIO-CD-NAVIGATION-TELEPHONE-ADDRESS-BOOK.
New function doesn't control MP3 Card and Television but I have to test a little more.
New RNS-E has 2 extra menu items under SOUND and SETUP where is possible to Fix volume level of INTERACTIVE VOICE CONTROL and the only changement necessary to activate the system was to connect Mic-in +/- in Pin 1 and Pin 7 of C connector leaving connected also MIc-in to the BT interface. Naturally Bt interface was recoded from 0011844 to 0011804.

#3 ·
Why not? The new function is part of this "H" version firmware and all my attempts to reach the new control in my previous "C" version by upgrading the firmware with new DVD never gave me any result. Here the built in SDS firmware is version 0360.
I will report more completely all the fuctions that I'm testing.

#4 ·
I can't wait to give this a try. I have the "C" version right now. So I may need to start looking for a SDS version or the RNS-E, unless SDS can be enabled with a firmware update.

#5 ·
Index H describes the hardware and default software, with the 8E0 035 192 H the original software was 0360. That guy from the original post said that he was using a HW70 unit and you have now confirmed HW71 to be SDS capable. So maybe SDS is not hardware dependent, just software (0360 in Europe) and the right wiring of the microphone (parallel to the RNS-E and BT interface). Still leaves the question if the US 0110 software also includes the SDS routines.

#7 ·
Here some screenshoots of several Voice commands:

As you can see every function has a lot of commands to learn 8) 8) 8) and these are not the entire set :shock: :shock: :shock:

#8 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
Index H describes the hardware and default software, with the 8E0 035 192 H the original software was 0360. That guy from the original post said that he was using a HW70 unit and you have now confirmed HW71 to be SDS capable. So maybe SDS is not hardware dependent, just software (0360 in Europe) and the right wiring of the microphone (parallel to the RNS-E and BT interface). Still leaves the question if the US 0110 software also includes the SDS routines.
In the last couple of months I've had a HW 047 C unit and a HW 070 H unit both running EU 0460 SW.

When running EU 0460 SW the HW 070 H unit shows two extra menu items related to SDS functionality - so if a J unit running US 0110 SW doesn't show these menu items then it's a pretty safe bet that the SDS routines are not yet in the US 0110 SW.

The extra menu items are:

Setup | Sound | Volume Settings -> an extra menu item "Speech dialogue system" appears.

Setup | Settings -> an extra menu "Speech dialogue system " appears which has 3 items in it "Repeat", "Select language" & "Delete voice tags"

[siteimg:83e5bc0c89]590[/siteimg:83e5bc0c89]

[siteimg:83e5bc0c89]589[/siteimg:83e5bc0c89]

Sorry about the poor images but I just rushed out with my camera phone to take them.

#9 ·
Your RNS-E is SDS ready but you need a multifunction wheel or something other to activate it.

#10 ·
a4ss4abt said:
Your RNS-E is SDS ready but you need a multifunction wheel or something other to activate it.
I'm working on fitting the electronics from an Audi phone cradle in a hidden place but with the "Call" button accessible (I don't want to swap my RS4 steering wheel for an MFSW!).

#11 ·
PetrolDave said:
a4ss4abt said:
I'm working on fitting the electronics from an Audi phone cradle in a hidden place but with the "Call" button accessible (I don't want to swap my RS4 steering wheel for an MFSW!).
Absolutlely the RS4 steering wheel is fantastic. Everything in your car is fantastic may be the phone cradle-idea is the right one. I saw in engeneering-mode the option "SK as PTT" and I believe this could activate function PTT in some RNS-E key. Something to test.

#12 ·
I've followed this thread as best I can. Am I right in saying that full SDS has only been proved to work with the RNS-E 'H' version. I have voice control for my telephone via controls on MSFW, which I presume is down to the BT box as that is where the mic wires run to.

Presumably the extra SDS menus only appear on the RNS if it is SDS capable, i.e. version H or do you think software upgrade or coding will bring these menus up on other models?

My unit is RNS-E 'A' with SW 0451 and H71

Keith

#13 ·
keith-i said:
Presumably the extra SDS menus only appear on the RNS if it is SDS capable, i.e. version H or do you think software upgrade or coding will bring these menus up on other models?

My unit is RNS-E 'A' with SW 0451 and H71
There's no coding difference on the RNS-E to enable SDS. As a4ss4abt as shown the only coding difference is to the Bluetooth module (to disable the Bluetooth module's own voice commands so it uses the commands from the RNS-E instead).

My old H47 C unit didn't show the extra SDS menus with SW0460, but my new H70 H unit does.

Your HW is later (71 as opposed to 70), but your SW is earlier (0451 as opposed to 0460). The only thing I would suggest you try is to get hold of a SW 0460 update CD and load that onto your RNS-E. If the SDS menus don't appear then, that proves the H (and maybe J) HW is different.

#14 ·
Euro sw 0360, 0450 and 0460 are all SDS capable. The index H is only for the 8E0 (A4) units, the A3 8P unit with SDS may be (pending confirmation) 8P0 035 192 F. The 8E0 "H" originally came with sw 0360 and was the first SDS capable RNS-E.

#15 ·
The screenshots in engeneering mode of all versions soft\hardw. in my RNS-E:

In my previous "C" version the item "SDS DATA VERSION IN FLASH"was empty between the two parentheses .

#17 ·
NSX JR said:
Could you also code the BT module as 0011884 instead so that the language for voice control would be set to "Voice control from external device (RNS-E)"?
Yes i can do it. What chenge have I to test after the recode?

#18 ·
Tested code 11884 but here there is a new label and the 8 doesn't exist. There is a 9 that maybe is what you wanted to try? Look new label

; coding information
;
;---------------------------------------------------
Telephone Preperation (R36) Coding

00?xxxx: Functions
0 = Basic (for RNS-E basic/Radio)
1 = Comfort (for RNS-E high/RNS-Low)

00x?xxx: Steering Wheel
0 = No Multi-Function OR Standard Steering Wheel (Old Style without Menu Thumb Wheels)
1 = Modular Steering Wheel (New Style with Menu Thumb Wheels)

00xx?xx: Installation List
1 = Diagnostics via CAN /
2 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Diagnostics via CAN
3 = Head Unit (e.g. RNS-E), Diagnostics via CAN
4 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Head Unit (e.g. RNS-E), Diagnostics via CAN
5 = Diagnostics via K-Line /
6 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Diagnostics via K-Line
7 = Head Unit (e.g. RNS-E), Diagnostics via K-Line
8 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Head Unit (e.g. RNS-E), Diagnostics via K-Line

00xxx?x: Language (Voice Control)
0 = Voice Control OFF OR via external Device (e.g. RNS-E)
1 = German /
2 = English (UK) /
3 = French /
4 = Italian /
5 = Spanish /
7 = English (US)
9 = Speaker dependent (Voice Commands inactive, Acoustic Name Selection active)

00xxxx?: Language (Display)
0 = No Display / 1 = German / 2 = English (UK) / 3 = French
4 = Italian / 5 = Spanish / 7 = English (US)

#20 ·
NSX JR said:
Looks like the zero does what I thought the 8 was for. I wonder what the "acoustic name selection" does??
Recoded 00xxx9x but after a first test BT interface works exactly as before. I tried to memorize voice-tags in address-book of telephone but without succes. I have to test a little more.

#21 ·
Hmmm, I see a4ss4abt says that his 'SDS Data Version on Flash' was empty on his previous RNS. Well mine isn't, it definitely has a string of letters but it doesn't have any SDS menus.

I now wonder whether you can maybe 'flash' upgrade the hardware memory on non-SDS units to upgrade them to SDS. I will try upgrading software to 460 and see if that makes any difference. (Presumably I just need a more up to date DVD to do that. Will it affect my use of my existing DVD for navigation?)

#22 ·
keith-i said:
I will try upgrading software to 460 and see if that makes any difference. (Presumably I just need a more up to date DVD to do that. Will it affect my use of my existing DVD for navigation?)
The 0460 SW is on the 2006_1 DVD and it will work with any of the protected DVD maps which IIRC (please check first) is from 2005 onwards.

If you're running 0450 SW does that means you have a 2006 DVD?

#24 ·
I am sorry but in my previous RNS-E I had the 0460 upgrade but I didn't rich any new function related to SDS system and as I don't know somebody with the ability of write in the Flash of RNS-E it seems a "mission impossible to upgrade this new feature. However nothing is impossible in theory and your navy is different of mine.
Today I've tested the system with BT interface coded 00xxx9x and I've discovered that some voice command related to navigation at the same time maked an authomatic phone call to the last name showed in FIS.
Naturally I've recoded 00xxx0x.

#25 ·
Tonight in my garage without the problem of driving I tested again the BT interface coded 00xxx9x and I've understood that if I push PTT for a while in correspondance of the visualization in Fis of a name/number stored in phone book I actvate an option that make the BT "speaker dependent" and so every voice command activate a phone call to that number. There must be something other to discover cause I don't understand the usefullness of this option. :shock: :shock: :shock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.