Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The '04 (SOFIDX: 0020) SW seems to have most of what I need, but I suppose everything listed is a couple years out of date. $220 seems kind of steep for a software update though... Is it worth it?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
The new DVD isn't just new SW, it's (usually) newer maps too.

How important are newer maps to you? Do you drive regularly on a road where the mapping is incorrect?

I regularly drive on a route where a new junction from a major road onto a motorway was opened in 2004, and it was irritating to have the voice guidance direct me around a roudabout that wasn't there anymore and see the RNS-E screen say I was driving across fields. That was enough reason for me to want to get a newer DVD - but it's worth checking here or on eBay before further subsidising your local stealer!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The old DVD works with the new map. So if you find someone with the new map and try it in your unit to see if the missing street is now there, it will update you unit. And if you don't like it you return the DVD and keep using the old one - now with the new software that remains installed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oooo, you mean you can update the RNS-E's firmware with the latest DVD, but continue to use the '04 DVD, and still retain the update? I'd like to do that to allow bluetooth capability, but don't really need the newer DVD.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Be6ess4 said:
Oooo, you mean you can update the RNS-E's firmware with the latest DVD, but continue to use the '04 DVD, and still retain the update? I'd like to do that to allow bluetooth capability, but don't really need the newer DVD.
That is correct, the 1A and 2A DVDs both work with the 0110 software.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you care more about the firmware than any "new" streets that show up:

Try to find someone local who can let you borrow the DVD for a few minutes to update your firmware.

Then return it and continue to use your original (older) disc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts