Audi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a B6 S4 Cab (no MFSW) that recently had an RNS-E ("C") unit installed now succesfully using the 0150 software. Today I had an OEM Bluetooth package installed (8P0 862 335 J phone box, mic and antenna). The guy who installed it made some VAG-COM adjustments (not sure exactly what). As soon as he was done we tested my Razr V3c (Verizon) phone and it connected and seemed to work OK although none of the tel#'s stored in the phone transfered. Not sure is anything appeared in the DIS.

After adjusting the seat belt settings, I drove the car away, but now this same phone (and another one I tried) are not making any connections. I did a soft reset of the NAV unit but still nothing is being recognized.

Unless something else was changed when the seat belt settings were adjusted, I don't know why it is not working. Any ideas?

I did search the forum and is it still the case that all of the VAG-COM settings that need to be changed are listed in this thread?

http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=bluetooth+connection&t=3332

Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Remember that the BT module is only discoverable within the first minute or two after the RNS-E powers up. Mine stopped responding, so I deleted the pairing from my phone, turned off BT on my phone, turned it back on, and rediscovered the Audi module. All has been well since then.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
daves_s6 said:
Remember that the BT module is only discoverable within the first minute or two after the RNS-E powers up.
That's not actually true - I used to have a Nokia N70 which would regularly and without warning lose the Bluetooth connection. Getting my passenger(!) to reboot the N70 always restored the connection to the Bluetooth - even when we had been driving for several hours.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Re: New OEM Bluetooth Installation-connects initially, not a

audirb said:
After adjusting the seat belt settings, I drove the car away, but now this same phone (and another one I tried) are not making any connections. I did a soft reset of the NAV unit but still nothing is being recognized.

Unless something else was changed when the seat belt settings were adjusted, I don't know why it is not working. Any ideas?
Have you setup your phone to restore the connection to the Bluetooth automatically? With most phones the default is to ask every time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What happened in my case is after getting everything working correctly, I disconnected my HEX-COM adapter and started reassembling the interior of the car without turning the ignition switch off. As I repeatedly exited and re-entered the car with my phone in my pocket, the two Bluetooth devices repeatedly disconnected and reconnected. Eventually something got messed up and the phone just kept connecting and disconnecting itself every couple of seconds, even though i stayed in the car.

I fixed it by deleting the pairing in the phone and cycling the phone's Bluetooth power. After that, I turned the car off and back on to put the RNS-E in discoverable mode and rediscover the RNS-E.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the prompt replies. I have tried turning off the bluetooth power on my phone and deleting the saved Audi "device" and initiated a search of devices from the phone without any success. I will try this again today. I see the installer again on Tuesday and will ask him to check the VAG-COM settings per the link I have above. Other than that I am at a loss. Since it did work initially, I would assume the wiring and the hardware is probably OK.

Any other thoughts? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
I've noticed that if the Bluetooth module has some faults stored (not sure if it's particular faults or just any fault) then it will not connect to any phone. Try connecting to it with VAG-COM and clearing the fault codes, that might get it working again.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
PetrolDave said:
daves_s6 said:
Remember that the BT module is only discoverable within the first minute or two after the RNS-E powers up.
That's not actually true - I used to have a Nokia N70 which would regularly and without warning lose the Bluetooth connection. Getting my passenger(!) to reboot the N70 always restored the connection to the Bluetooth - even when we had been driving for several hours.
The module will go to sleep after the first few minutes if there is no phone paired with it. In your case with the N70, the module was actively paired with your phone, then lost the connection. Therefore, the module was still powered on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To awake the RNS-E from it's "Bluetooth Sleeping Mode" do you just power off and immediately power back on the RNS-E unit or do have to turn the ignition off? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The RNS-E is not what goes to sleep. It is the bluetooth module itself.

Turn the ignition off, AND remove the key from ignition (this key removal powers down the BT module completely).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. I gave it another crack today, basically starting all over and it worked as it did the initial time. BTW my RAZR V3c is set to automatic search. I turned off and on the car a few times and it synced up fine and I then turned the car off.

Then I went away for an hour for dinner and came back turned the car on and nothing. It did not connect even after I turned the phone and bluetooth mode off and on; turned the car off and on (key out of ignition and even opened and closed doors); even forced a connection from the phone but nothing.

What is going on?

A couple of other questions/observations:
(1) when it was connected either 2 or 4 of the 5 bluetooth signal strength bars were lit, how many should be lit?
(2) there was nothing being displayed in the DIS for incoming or out going calls (I have the color DIS) shouldn't something come on this display (this could be a VAG-COM coding omission as I don't think this was ever working)?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can't say what is going on, but I think I can answer your 2 questions:

1) The signal strength bars correspond with the signal strength bars shown on your phone. The bars are NOT related to the Bluetooth connection quality, which should be fine if you are only a couple feet between devices.

2) I have the red DIS. When I start the car it says "BT ON". When I dial the phone the number is displayed, and when someone calls me it says "CALL." If I wait long enough to answer, their name is displayed if they are in my phone book.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts