Audi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got my NAV today. Everything works except my FM signal keeps on cutting in and out.

I hear music then i dont. So I turn the car on and to my surprise on the cluster i see if go from FM to TEL. Is this because I haven't set the new settings via VAG. BTW, I dont have a tel on the car.

Also, where are you installing the NAV antenna? Are you guys putting it behind the cluster? I currently have it sitting on the dash. But nothing has been permanent yet.

cheers,
Mark

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
2EURO said:
so i got my NAV today. Everything works except my FM signal keeps on cutting in and out.

I hear music then i dont. So I turn the car on and to my surprise on the cluster i see if go from FM to TEL. Is this because I haven't set the new settings via VAG. BTW, I dont have a tel on the car.

Also, where are you installing the NAV antenna? Are you guys putting it behind the cluster? I currently have it sitting on the dash. But nothing has been permanent yet.

cheers,
Mark
Sounds like the TEL Mute wire is intermittently shorting to ground.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think the adaptor i got those wires arent plugged.

is there any other wire i should be looking for?

·
Registered
156 Posts
check your adapter doesn't have the car Alarm GND (on same plug as the +/- connections) wired to the TEL MUTE on the RNS-E - mine did and had exactly the same effect

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
jakerade said:
check your adapter doesn't have the car Alarm GND (on same plug as the +/- connections) wired to the TEL MUTE on the RNS-E - mine did and had exactly the same effect
actually you are correct, both (mute and GND) are wired to D11:

[siteimg:d63fde2bd2]336[/siteimg:d63fde2bd2]

did cutting Alarm GND fixed that?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PROXUS said:
jakerade said:
actually you are correct, both (mute and GND) are wired to D11:

[siteimg:77d70189f0]336[/siteimg:77d70189f0]

did cutting Alarm GND fixed that?
by cutting alarm wire will that mess with the alarm?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I think jakerade was reffering to RADIO alarm not CAR alarm.
It's yellow wire with blue stripe (from those wires going into black connector it is first on the right / bottom)
My wire is not connected too so you shouldn't have any problems ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO

I fixed the problem!!!! so it turns out it was the yellow/blue wire. Not sure whether if this was the tel mute gnd or the car alarm gnd but nonetheless its working now.

Because my diagram didnt match the diagram on the unit i took each wire out manually until i found the culprit. To my luck it i got it on the second try.

Works great! sounds great! Now I just need to wait for my VAG so I can get the cluster to display the NAV.

thanks for all the help guys, couldnt do it without this forum!!!!!

:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have tried about a half dozen GPS locations between my RNS-D and RNS-E navs and I have found that the metal plate located within fuse box panel is the best bet. Magnetic surface and always gives you availability to place it on dash without taking anything but fuse cover off and opening door.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts