Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed an RNS-E unit that was a "D" unit and upgraded to "F".
The disc that came with it is a "back-up" and I want to buy the newest disc from Navteq (the back-up disc is always "unreadable"). The unit works great other than the nav disc issue. But before I get the new disc and put it in I want to clarify some stuff before it automatically updates the software.
The nav unit has the following info that I retrieved from the engineering mode:
System SW index: X---
HW index: H72
Map database index HU/Navi SW Version: V220057B
Boot Version: V220100D
Audio SW Version: A2220132-110505

The current back-up disc has the following info:
COMMENT=2005 ver.1;
DISC=P1N041224;
MAP=NN0409;
SOFIDX:0110
NAVVER:V222023F
AUDVER:A2220132

The main questions are: Will putting in the newes V2 disc update everything and work fine and is there some confilct between the units software and the current back-up disc software that is causing it to be unreadable??
Any help would be appreciated before I do this and end up drinking myself silly! (Which I actually don't mind doing....)
Brad

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Based on the Audio software version on your unit you already have the US 0110 software loaded. The next step depends on where you got the unit from and what has been done to load the US software.

The D unit came with at least sw 0330 and if the unit got flashed to the US sw using a sofidx higher than 0330 then the US updates with sofidx lower than 0330 won't load automatically. If this has been done on your unit you will need to modify the software files on the map DVD to force an update. Contact your seller for advise and details on how to proceed.

There is also the issue with a sofidx higher than 0450 where the US sw 0110 doesn't accept the map DVD as map anymore. In this case contact your seller for advise and details on how to get ther unit to accept the US DVD as map.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply and info.
I forgot to mention that I purchased the unit from Germany so my assumption is it had the EU software on it from the get go.
I have no clue how the person flashed the software-and based on how long it took me to get this from the seller by the time I get an answer from the seller this car and unit will be long sold!
Sorry to be such a fool about this but how do I know what sofdix the actual unit was flashed with since it wasn't in the engineering mode-or is there no way to tell unless I contact the seller??
Assuming I never hear from the seller is there a way to just "start from scratch" based on the disc I have (or creating a new software CD)??
Brad

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Does the navi say "unreadable" or does it say "software update cd/dvd"? The navi software still seems to be European but that may simply because the hacked update CD got made that way. If you get an "unreadable" error you DVD is most likely broken, if you get a "software update cd/dvd" message your DVD may be OK but the navi software may be wrong/corrupt. there is no realy way to start over but there might be a way to fix what's broken - at least as long as the sofidx is below 0450.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The display says "unreadable". What's weird is it has worked a few times but it's hit or miss (mostly miss...)
I assumed it was the because the DVD wasn't original but it's hard to tell.
I was going to borrow my buddies DVD from his '06 A4 before I bought one from Navteq for myself-but after reading a few of the posts on here I became nervous that his DVD (which I think is newest one from Navteq) would update something and render ANY DVD unreadable!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If it says now "unreadable" but worked before then try the other DVD. It won't update the software but the map should work with the original (or a known working backup) DVD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts