Audi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have an audi a4 8E 2002, without a factory installed radio. (i have a becker radio).

I read something about the need of use of can H and can L cable from behind the steering wheel. Do I need to track this extra cables?

PS: I read the whole forum, but I couldn't find info when you don't have a factory installed radio.

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Yes, if you don't have a factory installed Audi radio you have to get CAN high/low from behind the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mmmm, quite strange. Because my ebay store told me that I don't need anything else. But I heard it from someone else too.

So I need to do the same thing as with audi b5 models, which is explained on this topic? Or do you recommend to buy special adapters?

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Feel free to believe your ebay store but if you don't have a factory installed radio you have to get CAN from the cluster. In the B6 this is T32/20 for CAN Infotainment high and T32/19 for CAn Infotainment low with T32 being the blue connector. You will also have to set #17 channel 62 to x+5 with x being the current value and 5 = 1(radio)+4(navigation). Order an RNS-E adapter that fits the options in your car and has a 2m drilled pair of CAN wires with the proper pins for the B6 cluster. Got stores will know what you are talking about and the other kind of stores probably can't deliver the correct RNS-E adapter anyway.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much!!

I feel like I am the only person with this question, I couldn't find anything about "non factory installed radio's" on the net (and here). Maybe I am using the wrong name?

Thanks for your advice about the cable! I am going to order that one too.

One more Thing about VAG-COM. I know there are different versions of the cables. A few months ago I investigated which cable I need, and therefor I bought a vag-com with COM port. (COM OBD2 KKL interface OBD2 VAG). My supplier told me I can use VAG-com till version 409.1 because the others are for CAN bus.

BUT, my audi a4 b6 8e does have CAN bus right? (I know it has...) So do I have a too old cable version? I suppose I could have bought an CAN BUS cable I think. I don't get it anymore.... :shock: because I really looked well on the internet before I bought this one, the be sure it was the right one... (I am affraid that I can't use the NAVIGATION functions with this cable).

Does anyone has suggestions?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Your B6 is not using CAN for diagnostics, therefore you should be fine. You may have problems though connecting to the RNS-E and/or phone interface. Usually it's best to use genuine Ross-tech cables and the newest VAG-COM software.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mmm, so i have to ask the supplier of the RNS-E to setup some features? (on the rns-e), --> he need to put my audi model and wheel size into it right?

But, can I do change the required fields which you told me with my cable on the required addresses?

Thank you really a lot!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
It's best to have your supplier configure your RNS-E to your car's specs. The KKL cable should be bale to make the change in #17 but you will need to have a registered version of VAG-COM to change channel 62.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I'm of the opinion that the time and money spent on developing VAG-COM should be honored by registering their software and getting an official license. Therefore I would recommend to get the real cable which comes with real license. Anything else may or may not work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.