Audi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! :)

I'm new here and new to AUDI world!
Anyway, I traded in my basically new 2005 MINI Cooper S Convertible for a 2006 A3 2.0T DSG, and I am very happy!

I need a suggestions from you guys:

The car came with the sport package, open-sky roof, xenon light. That's it!

I read the thousands thread about retrofitting the NAV+ and all that is invovled.

My question is this:
Should I even consider the NAV+ for my A3, or since the car was not prepped for it, I should just pass it?
I do NOT want to let the dealer deal with cutting cables, and making connections that are not supposed to be there!

If I will install the NAV+, then, in the end, I would like the car to be and behave (all the functions and buttons and what more) like it came directly from the factory with the NAV+...

I need suggestions!

I hope I was clear enough on the idea...

Thank you.

Emanuele

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Welcome and good choice on the trade :lol:

To answer your questions: Electrically it will work as it would have been installed in the factory. No cutting of cables, just plug and play. Now mechanically, if you don't have the Symphony head unit with the integrated CD changer, it will involve much more. Not that it is impossible but you have to swap you radio cage which involves removing several parts from the center console. You will also need new switches, a new card tray and probably have to trim your A/C control unit to fit in the double DIN console. Not impossible since it has been done before, but much more work.

Take your time and read the quick links, there are some general issues (look for A3 8P comments) and also some guides.

And even if you don't retrofit the RNS-E, have fun with the new car...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Emanuele said:
Hi all! :)

I'm new here and new to AUDI world!
Anyway, I traded in my basically new 2005 MINI Cooper S Convertible for a 2006 A3 2.0T DSG, and I am very happy!

I need a suggestions from you guys:

The car came with the sport package, open-sky roof, xenon light. That's it!

I read the thousands thread about retrofitting the NAV+ and all that is invovled.

My question is this:
Should I even consider the NAV+ for my A3, or since the car was not prepped for it, I should just pass it?
I do NOT want to let the dealer deal with cutting cables, and making connections that are not supposed to be there!

If I will install the NAV+, then, in the end, I would like the car to be and behave (all the functions and buttons and what more) like it came directly from the factory with the NAV+...

I need suggestions!

I hope I was clear enough on the idea...

Thank you.

Emanuele
Hi,

I have also A3 (8P) 2.0 TDI, Sport, open-sky roof, xenon light and I did installation of NAV+ and i'm very happy with system. :lol:

In fact, if you buy RNS-E connector (with all wire connections that you need), GPS Antena and Antena adaptor, you do not need cut any wire at all! You just take out Symphony radio and place Nav+ (very simple!). :wink:

Read Knowledge Base & Quick Links and you will find all information that you need to install NAV+.

So, in my opinion, do it!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HI guys, thank you :)

Well, the fact is that I do NOT have the Symphony radio, since it is only an option that goes with the Sound Package...

So the car has the Concert radio....

hmmmm at thispoint I am not sure if I should do it. Trimming and all that, in the end, will be work that usually dealers won't do very happily....

:(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.