Audi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have RNS-E in my RS6, fitted as standard. I have the phone cradle in the armrest which literally gives me the hands free/mute stereo option, with a very old 6310.

By big question that drives me nuts is that it MUST be possible to integrate a phone via BT with the headunit, The button with PHONE on it is a giveaway I guess.

So

a) why doesn't this work?
b) Why does my Audi dealer say it never will work?
c) From looking around you guys seem to have it working!

So frustrating not being able to get answers from the people who supposidly built the thing!

Any guidance gratefully appreciated

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
You need to change out your old phone brain for the bluetooth module. This will take a bit of rewiring but it can be done.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If your RNS-E came factory installed, you are probably still running pretty outdated software on it. In addition to that, the coding is different if you want to use the new features. And as NSX Jr said, the phone interface needs most likely to be replaced because there was no BT from Audi in 2003/2004.

The dealer will only repeat what Audi told them to say and that is that a retrofit is not possible. Well, it is but to determine what's required in your car, you will need to post more information.

Let's start with the RNS-E: What software are you using right now (Press CAR, the seelct Version and post the information shown there)? If the software is older than 0360 (and if you never got an updated map DVD it's propably 0060, 0080 or 0100) then you will need to get a new DVD first. Any Euro DVD 2005_1 or newer will work but I would recommend to get a 2006 or 2006_1.

Do you have a VAG-COM cable? If you do, read the part number off the device at address #77 and post it here. If you don't have a VAG-COM cable you will need to visit your dealer to get the part number. Once you got the part number it will be possible to say how much effort it is to swap the phone interface.

If you got an 8P0 interface with index D or higher (or if you are in North America) then it will be an easy swap. If you got an 8E0, 4B0 or 4D0 interface then it will be much more work because you have to rewire the connector to fit the new interface. In this case it may make sense to start over and use one of the retrofit harnesses, only using the microphone from your old install.

Good luck...

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I've done many RS6 and a few RS6+ phone installs, it's pretty easy to get the kit behind the glovebox, a metal plate there lets your drop in the phone module.

Drop me a PM for details if you are in the UK

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
many thanks guys. The info I have:

SW: 0080
HW: H46
MAP: M2N031204_EN0303

If anyone can transalate that I'd be very grateful! Can that info also determine whether I can get a more up to date DVD map?

So a dealer wont do this BT upgrade? ](*,) Why is that out of interest?

craigyb, I know you are highly knowledgable in these areas, your reputation preceedes you! but if you're in the north of England its too far for me to come for something I'll use very rarely. It would have been nice to have it that's all, I'm just perplexed why the dealers cant sort it for us.

Thanks again, appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The dealer won't (officially) do it because Audi AG say so.

You will need sure a new DVD to get the new features. It would be best if you get a package from someone who has done an RS6 upgrade already and knows where all the wires need to go to. Once you got that package you will only need to find a trustworthy car audio shop (or dealer) to get it installed and with a VAG-COM properly coded.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
RS6+ said:
craigyb, I know you are highly knowledgable in these areas, your reputation preceedes you! but if you're in the north of England its too far for me to come for something I'll use very rarely. It would have been nice to have it that's all, I'm just perplexed why the dealers cant sort it for us.

Thanks again, appreciate it.
I do travel to london an a regular basis, if your not too far from there I can do it for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts