Audi Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I bought an RNS-E navigation unit from Alex last Spring. The install went great and actually went to the Montreal Grand Prix without using one map(from CT). Anyways, in the fall, when I put the navigation dvd in, it would say unable to read, but would eventually go to the map. This only happened a couple of times. Well, w/ the weather being cold, the same thing is happening, but it will not go to the map. I believe the dvd that Alex sent me w/ the unit is not a copied one because it has the Audi stuff on the top of it. I haven't used the nav in a few months and the disc shows a few light scratches. The disc is from 2006.
Does anyone have an idea of what's going on? Does anyone have a contact who could get me a new OEM 2006 dvd, or better yet, will the new 2007 disc work without any system upgrades? Any help would be appreciated guys. Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You got an original only if the DVD is silver with the printed Navteq or Audi label. If the DVD is white you got a backup. And backups are know to stop working after while. There is also an issue in cold, humid climates and with older units where the laser may get dirty over time. An original DVD will usually work more reliably but older unit may need to get the laser cleaned as well.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
mpingree said:
Does anyone have a contact who could get me a new OEM 2006 dvd, or better yet, will the new 2007 disc work without any system upgrades? Any help would be appreciated guys.
The contact details for Navteq have been posted on here many times - contact them to purchase a 2007 DVD. It will do the software upgrade for you automatically (assuming your unit is either a genuine US unit or a fully converted EU unit).

The great thing about doing this is that you will lose the "nag screen" on startup!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. I believe I do have an original. It's silver and has the audi stuff screened on it. Is there a way to clean the laser reader?

Mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I looked at the disc today and it is a genuine Audi disc, but it is white and it does say "back-up disc/not for resale" on it. Is this the disc that "goes bad" as mentioned before?

Mike

·
Registered
530 Posts
A genuine Audi disk would not say "back-up disc/not for resale" on it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the 2006 dvd from Alex when I ordered my rns-e last spring. It looks like and original Audi dvd because the top is screened white w/ a picture of an Audi w/ the logo on it too. Around the center of the dvd it says something like "verbatim" with some other jibberish I don't understand(I'm not computer savvy). If I decide to drop $200 on the 2007 dvd, are you guys sure I won't have to upgrade my system in anyway? I just install the dvd and the upgrade is done automatically? I think I'm going to just buy a new dvd, I just want to be sure I won't have to update my rns-e at all. Let me know what you guys think.

Mike

·
Registered
258 Posts
id just burn a new cd... try that (cost you around 4$ or less) and if that doesnt work, then try the original dvd... also some dealers would be nice enough to let you use the demo car dvd just to see if thats the problem...

·
Registered
530 Posts
mpingree said:
I got the 2006 dvd from Alex when I ordered my rns-e last spring. It looks like and original Audi dvd because the top is screened white w/ a picture of an Audi w/ the logo on it too. Around the center of the dvd it says something like "verbatim" with some other jibberish I don't understand(I'm not computer savvy).
As I said before, definitely not an original disk.

From my understanding people don't usually have too many issues with backups on Verbatim media, but I'd start there before pulling the RNS-E apart to clean the laser or parting with the $200..

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Mike,

Try what guys suggested. Make a copy of your disc to HDD on your computer and burn it to another media. Verbatim is usually pretty good but it could easly wear over the time.
If you want to upgrade ..press CAR button and check if your SW version shows SW: X-- or SW:0020. Since you bought the unit last spring you could need to take additional steps before upgrade to 2007. Back in time we used different method of loading software that's why this is so important.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I looked at the SW version and it was X--- Am I going to need to upgrade my system before I go to an 07 DVD? If so, does someone have info on how to? Thanks for all your help guys.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts