Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I downloaded the new software update that Haaggie sent for version 150 and created a CD to update my RNS-E. However, it did not work correctly. It said it was updating the software for about a minute, then the RNS-E switched off. I turned it back on and it appears there was no software update that took place. The warning screen is still there and my nav still says the following in engineering mode:
System SW Index: X---
HW index: H54
Map database index: NN0312
HU/Navi SW Version V220057B
Boot version V220100D
Audio SW version A2220132-110505
Serial No.: AUZBZ&E0404050

Please let me know what I need to do to get the new software. I'm not sure why it did not update correctly?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. So basically I have to change the channel with the VAG, insert the CD, change back, and I should be good to go? Should this update CD I have right now work? I believe it has all the corrected files on it. If not, I don't have any hex editors. Is there any way someone could make the correct files for me? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I don't know what update CD you got but you need first a cross region update to make your Euro RNS-E think that it's a real US unit. Once you see a NAVVER of V222xxxx and AUDVER of A222xxxx you can use any US DVD to update to the newest software.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Same issue here

I just tried loading the new software that I was sent via email from Albert, and nothing happend. Last time I updated (last year) all went well.

Albert indicated the unzipped file would be 22MB, but my unzipped file is only 15.5MB, so I think I missing a file.

System SW index: X---
HU Index: H51
Map Database: NN0409
HU/NAV SW version: V220057B
Boot version: V220100D
Audio SW version: A2220132-110505
Serial No: AUZBZ7D0011122

I do have a VAG, but I'm not sure that is the issue based on the file size.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
hi,

Jeff and Cary got an update CD from me with the 0150 SW update. it works fine, but not on the 'mixed' units, upgraded in the early days. Dirk is right: use the channel 97 trick, and after that insert the 0150 update CD

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The channel 97 trick won't help until the RNS-E is in full US mode. What you need is a Euro to US update CD, any Euro to US update CD will do the job if you have set channel 97 to 1. Once the RNS-E shows NAVVER V222xxxx (xxxx doesn't matter) you can use the unmodified US 0150 update CD to upgrade.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We need specific instructions!!

I've now got two zip files, one the SW150, and another, OSO110.

The OSO is an iso image file, when unzipped.

I keep hearing about the Channel 97 trick....how about some specifics.
Using VAG, it appears I would use #56, and change channell 97 to 1.

Then what? use the SW150 CD, or the OSO110CD?

Thanks for the help, but more spefics would have helped.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Haaggie said:
thnx Dirk: that's correct.

Cary/Jeff: you've got mail
What is correct???

First, I did not know I had a "mixed" unit. I thought I purchsed a US unit.

Albert, you need to give us a step-by-step on how to update the units. Additionally, you need to provide us with the proper software required. I do not have "hex edit" software, nor would I know what to do. I'm a SVP of sales, and while I have some computer knowledge, I purchased a plug and play update, not a computer science project.

This is nothing like last years update, which was a snap.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine updated perfectly!

I received Haaggie's 0150 software, followed his directions and updated my NAV without a problem. (Of course I have an unmodfied US version of RNS-E.)

I love how the nag screen is gone and that I can finally mute the radio :D (But why can't I do this using the volume controls on the steering wheel?) I'm looking forward to receiving the 2007 DVD so I can see the new 3D maps.

Things I'd still like to see in the next version:
Have the NAV default to showing the map, not the destination input screen. I like to see the map even when I'm just driving around.
When tuning the radio using the steering wheel, I'd like to automatically scroll thru the presets, not scroll thru all stations on the band.

Otherwise, it's nice to see that things are getting easier to use!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Re: Mine updated perfectly!

Davidgr said:
I love how the nag screen is gone and that I can finally mute the radio :D (But why can't I do this using the volume controls on the steering wheel?)
You can't press the volume scroller to mute because there is already a function assigned to that action. When you press the scroller Nav+ repeats the audio navigation instruction.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks Albert!!

Haaggie said:
Hi Jeff, you have the correct files now. Excuse me for the delayed respons: it's because of the time difference..
The last bit of intructions look easy, and the software seemed to un zip well.

I'll be getting back in from my trip tonight, and will try it get this update done but it may be friday.

The instructions were exactly what I needed. Thanks for putting up with my nagging!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Still no joy.

Well,

I've followed the instructions to the letter, and my unit is still not updating the software. It will not update the Euro to US software, so I can't move forward at all.

What is the next step, short of getting a proper US unit, that I was suppose to have in the first place.

Again, the update last year was a piece of cake. I was told I was purchasing a US spec RNS-E, NOT a Euro spec, so I'm not a happy camper at the momment.

And despite several attempts to update my unit, nothing is happening.

I think the latest issue is the Euro to US software, as what it reads (0090) is different than what the file was named (080) but who knows.

I'll give it another go Friday, and if I don't get the right files, I'll ship the unit back in order ot get a proper US spec unit like I paid for. I've now spent three days trying to update my unit, which is two days to many.

I was really happy with the initial experience of the purchase and last years upgrade, which was a breeze.(popped the disc in, update happend right away) This upgrade, which offers the best features yet, is not at all what I expected.

Here are the steps I've been told to follow>

Use VAG, and go to #56, adaptation, and change channel 97 from 0 to 1. OK

Use the 080 Euro to US software, let it update. NOT OK, reads the CD as 0090 CD/DVD update

Load the 2006 DVD. Let it update.

Change channel 97 back to 0.

Insert 150 CD. Let it update

The last three steps I can't accomplish becuase of the issue with the second step.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
first of all: if this is the way we communicate with eachother to solve things, I don't feel comfortable with it when I stay up in the morning and see this conversation..I made an update available, just as a service, and not making money at all with it. Of course it's always possible that something is going wrong. But let's give eachother time to solve it, and keep believing in the willingness of us to help you out...

isn't it true that "any Euro to US update CD will do the job if you have set channel 97 to 1"? I sent the update set to convert an EU 0080 unit to 0110 US with a SOFDX of 0090. Shouldn't this work?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The problem might be that while we got more comfortable converting Euro units to run the US software, the process has been changed and simplified several times and therefore some Euro to US update disk may not work as expected.

In theory, if the SOFIDX and die NAVVER don't match, the RNS-E will do an update if #56 channel 97 is set to 1. However, it will only update it the region on the update CD/DVD matches the region of the RNS-E. The region is determined by the first 4 characters of the NAVVER. V222 is US, V220 or V221 is Europe (or better Rest of World). You will need a EU2US region update CD if you check the NAVVER in engineering mode and it starts with V220. If the NAVVER is already V222 there is no need for a cross region update CD (it will actually not do anything at all).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Still nothing

While I apreciate the help, please understand that I purchased a US spec. I asked in advance of making the purchase, as I had heard about issues with the Euro models,and conversion to the US. I'll chalk that up to mis-communication.

I've paid for two upgrades. One last year, which worked great, and the one this year that has so far failed me. So, it is not like I am using "freeware", but trying to upgrade the unit with software I purchased. So, that was the reason for my frustration.

That being said, Albert provided me with a third CD, with some other unique steps, the upgrade is complete.

Instead of changing chan 97 through the #56 (radio) I used #37 (nav) to change chan 97 from 0 to 1, though it should not make a difference. For some reason, even though it took the change in 57, it would not read the CD's until i changed it in #37.

I then inserted the third 0360 CD. I had to change the 0 back to one after this update took. Then I inserted the 080 CD, and it updated and asked for the 2006 DVD. I first checked that chan 97 was still set at 1, and it was. I inserted the 2006 DVD and the update continued.

I then changed chan 97 back to 0, and inserted the 0150 CD. It started updating. It asked for the 2006 DVD. I inserted it and it completed the update.

So, I do appreciate Alberts help and assistance (and your help as well). I just wish in the future, that maybe I could get the software in advance of paying, in order to work throught any potential issues first. I'd gladly pay once everything was set.

I was expecting an upgrade like the one last yrear, and again my email asked for specific intructions, and I was told to just insert the CD.

In any event, hopefully someone else will be able to avoid the issues by trying what I did.

I thne c

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If you would have bought a US spec RNS-E your wouldn't have run into any problem. And with a little research you would have seen that if your RNS-E does have a RADIO (instead of FM|AM) button, it's a Euro spec RNS-E that might be running the US software. If you ordered and paid for a US RNS-E you should contact the seller and request a US unit. They usually run $500 or more higher than converted Euro units but I'm sure you know that from your initial research before you bought the RNS-E.

Your RNS-E is in some kind of mixed mode. You got the audio software loaded from the US0110 DVD but the NAVVER is faked to make a Euro RNS-E load the US navi software (which was the only way to get the Euro RNS-E use the US software at one point in the past). With the information posted on this forum it is possible to clean up the mess and make it likely that future software updates can happen with no further modifications. But that is not 100% guaranteed because it would be easy for Audi to put something in their software that simply prevents the US software to run on a Euro RNS-E. That's the risk you take if you save some money.

Don't understand me wrong but over the last 24 months, so much has changed in regards to converting Euro RNS-E to work with the US DVD, there are a lot units out there that are in some kind of mixed mode. With today's knowledge it is possible to clean up the mess but it all depends on from whom you bought your RNS-E and how much after sale support he is willing or able to give you. The worst examples are some of those ebay units that barely run at all and will likely need some serious attention to get new software loaded.

My advise would be to calm down and talk to the seller to find a solution in private. If he's from this board I'm sure he will work with you on getting your issue solved and your unit updated to the latest spec.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts