Audi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently had xm radio installed by the dealer in my 2006 A4. i activated the radio and also activated navtraffic via phone to xm radio.

the radio works fine. however, i can see no evidence that the navtraffic system is working at all. i can find no one who really knows anything about the navtraffic system. all they do is send out new activation signals each time i call------to no avail. i have called xm radio as well as navteq directly. no help. the local dealer tech is looking into the problem.

i am in a navtraffic covered area, west palm beach, florida.

i'm wondering if something was missed during the installation?

does anyone have any experience with this system and the navtraffic option?

frank

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually, its not audi , its navteq which is supposed to support navtraffic on the audi nav plus system------------but its not working

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
fatort said:
actually, its not audi , its navteq which is supposed to support navtraffic on the audi nav plus system------------but its not working
Where is this info from? Do you have any links? So far I haven't read anything that would indicate that Audi is working with traffic information provider on somthing like that. Other than very general information about alliances or so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here are the few facts i have been given. audi uses a pioneer system and navteq navigation software. navtraffic is a real time traffic information system that works with navteq systems through xm radio. it is set u to work on most systems, after market included, and pioneer is one of them.

it was supposed to be simple. install xm radio and activate the radio and the navtraffic add on.

however, so far i have not been able to activate the traffic part of the system.

the dealer is working on figuring out what is worong. maybe something they did or didnt do during installation.

but-all information i was given prior to buying the xm system is that both products should work through the audi navigation system.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I'm still not sure if I understand correctly. Especially where Pioneer comes into the game. The RNS-E is made by Aisin and (rumored) to be similar to an Alpine development. The MMI is made by Becker. The XM receivers are made by Delphi.

You are talking about an OEM head unit and not something that got installed aftermarket, do you? And it is your Audi dealer that is trying to get navtraffic working on your RNS-E, is it?

I'm asking because Audi just dropped XM and hasn't announced navtraffic to be available in any of their cars. I'm really wondering what your dealer is trying to "fix".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you know much more than i do. i'm just trying to piece it together.

yes, audi dropped xm. but i got one of the last kits the dealer had and they installed it a few days ago. navtraffic is activated through the audi plus navigation system when you use the xm radio. --yes the dealer is trying to figure out why it doesnt activate.

also, i was told that the radio in the 2006 A4 is a pioneer.---------i was told this by the dealer but i'm not sure they know what they are talking about.

anyway, this should have been simple. i have the nav plus system in my 2006 A4. the RNS-E. i had the xm system installed recently. the car was purchased without the xm originally.

the navigation system is a navteq system. navteq offers navtraffic which is activated through the xm radio system.

my problem is that, when all is said and done, the navtraffic system, which has been activated, does not seem to work.

i thought there should be some sort of software up date to run the navtraffuc system but no one seems to know. all anyone can say is that once the navtraffic is activated by xm radio it should work. but it doesnt. something somewhere has been missed.????????????

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Well, good luck with that. You may have the only Pioneer made RNS-E - or your dealer should get better sources for his information. If you ever get it working, please make sure you come back and post some details. I'm sure many of use are looking for a way to integrate traffic information into the RNS-E.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
It's my experience that Audi dealers have very little knowledge about the radio and navigation systems in Audis.

For example:
  • one dealer in the UK tried to upgrade the software on an RNS-E using an MMI disc.
  • another is still insisting that there is no TMC upgrade programme for UK owners. There is, it's part of the EU 0550 SW and the upgrade is being carried out as a warranty issue.
  • most dealers insist that retrofitting an RNS-E or adding a Bluetooth kit is impossible.
Since your dealer is telling you that the RNS-E is manufactured by Pioneer - which is wrong (as Dirk has said it's made by Aisin) - I would suggest that you treat everything they tell you with caution and only believe it after you have double checked elsewhere.

There are many experienced US based RNS-E experts on this forum - and not one of them has got navtraffic working, so I think your dealer is probably incorrect. But I'd love you to prove me wrong!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
in order to use xm navtraffic, your xm tuner MUST be enabled for xm navtraffic. Audi XM tuners are NOT navtraffic capable no matter what your dealership is blabbing about.

·
Registered
48 Posts
SAT Nav Traffic

Lets hope Audi figures something out in the next couple of firmware versions to enable this feature. But I garrantee it won't be with XM. Audi has been listening to customers and altered some features on 150 firmware, if we all make enough noise about it, maybe they'll finally give us TMC. We all know the RNS-E is able to process that info on Euro firmware versions, this info comes via radio signal. Should be simple enough to implement it in US using SAT radio signal.

·
Registered
155 Posts
fatort said:
is there any way to make the audi xm radio module capable of receiving the navtraffic signal?
No, it was never designed for it.
If you'd asked us first we would have told you the facts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
fatort said:
is there any way to make the audi xm radio module capable of receiving the navtraffic signal?
Well, could mount it on the roof and make the antenna from it... ok, it will at least do what you are asking as the antenna

After reading all of the posts I think what you are telling us is not what you have and the dealership/support may be using OEM brand names...hell I could be wrong but it sounds like you may have an after-market system

perhaps you have the Pioneer AVIC-D2 Navigation System and it's the GEX-P10XMT you cant get to work?
2 dvd slots, 2 TeleAtlas map dvd's, uses Navteq Navtraffic, touchscreen

or do you have something like Blitzsafe Audi/XM with the Audi Symphony radio?

The part numbers and names of what you just bought and the Nav/Radio you have may be all that's keeping you form finding someone who can help.

Your dealer should also buy us some beer for your troubles..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts