Audi Forum banner

Nav+ Worth it?

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  petethepug 
#1 ·
I'm wondering if the Nav+ is worth it to try to buy aftermarket and if i'd be nervous having such a system in my car visable. If i had a TomTom or something else I'd probably take with or hide, but NAV+ not really an option.

Any ideas on some options in this area?

#3 ·
HX_Guy said:
I wouldn't really worry about it, I havn't heard of anyone having their RNS-E stolen. Maybe it's because it's car specific or maybe because of the code required to make it work.
In North America that is true. In Europe, especially Germany it can happen that you need a new one every other month or so. No joke.

#7 ·
There is nothing on the market even close to RNS-E (by that I mean OEM look + functionality).

I would say that someone can steal your aftermarket nav way faster than OEM RNS-E because they can sell it easier and faster. RNS-E is pretty well protected and it is car specific.

#9 ·
Good luck (you may need it!).

You're probably better off contacting a reliable seller from this site such as Haaggie - at least you know you'll get what you pay for.

#10 ·
2nd that...

eBay is like a Russian roulette. Within last 2 months I had 4 people asking me about parts to fix their units purchased on eBay.

If you deal wit US seller then it is not that bad all the time but in case you ar buying from Europe...eBay will always tell you that they don't have a control over payment methods or listings. For some reason it is separate entity and you are not covered any way. That is why a lot of european units come without PINs or simply damaged, because US buyer can't do nothing about it.

Just search this forum and you will see how many people had problems with Ebay already.

#11 ·
I purchased a unit on eBay from a U.S. seller and it was broken. The cables connecting the back of the unit looked like they were ripped out, which leads me to believe it was stolen. Alex (Proxus) took a look at it and could not get the disc that was inside the unit to eject. eBay takes no responsibility in trying to get your money back, and PayPal will only give you $175 back...IF (that's a VERY big IF) they decide in your favor. The $900 I spent is gone unless my credit card company is able to do something about it. I will NEVER use eBay for a high priced purchase again. I expected more security from a site like eBay, but they were absolutely no help whatsoever.

#15 ·
We just completed a 2500 mile trip in the last week. The navigation unit worked great! It did get confused on a couple occasions, but I have yet to see a nav unit that is perfect. I bought mine from Haagie and would do it again. Besides working well, having the display between the gauges is probably worth it on it's own merit. Besides, I feel you will increase the resale value of your car at least equal to the cost of the nav unit. The same cannot be said for an aftermarket unit.

#16 ·
You made your mind up...

All you are doing now is looking for validation. Kidding. I went through the same thing a few months ago and being a perfectionist I loved the OEm fit and intergration of the RNS-E + BT and soon TV. Navigation has helped me put more money in the bank. I am a sales rep and it has performed perfect every time.

Plus if you sell the car down the road you can pull the RNS-E and sell it for what you paid for it. With after market they may need to hack center concolse frame or change you wiring, and if you go to sell it down the road you will be lucky to get 60% what you paid for.

#17 ·
At the time of resale you will reap the benefits

The dealers don't usualy care/or know that the unit was not a factory install. It's really kind of cool to have the RNS-E with phatnoise, DVD player/TV tuner and XM on a four year old car. These features are available for other cars BUT, not as a factory option.

Michael '02 6SP M

#18 ·
Worth it? Yes!

What I like best is that the RNS-E gives a good base on which to build an integrated multi-media system that is safe to operate, enhances the driving experience and eases the frustrations. You will be guided accurately to your destination, you can stay in touch on the move safely, you can listen to pleasing music in those inevitable jams. You arrive refreshed, and better for it. These wonders are about to become available to a wider section of the community - MFSW for the C5 platform is possible .....

#19 ·
half_a_florin said what wanted to say...

I never would of taken a detour through downtown Los Angeles during rush hour traffic with out it. It is incredible how it allows you to see through buildings so you can take a side street that is not a dead end. If time is money then the RNS-E has already paid for itself.

Michael '02 6SP M

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.