Audi Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been able to get the voicemail feature to work? My voicemail account requires me to enter my home phone number and a security code. Entering these numbers with the MMI knob is nearly impossible... especially when driving!

Most cell/cordless phones have the ability to enter a pause, then the necessary digits to gain access. Can the Nav+ do this? My attempts have been unsuccessful, and the dealer could not help.

Thanks,

Chris

A3/Nav/Blue/Xenon

·
Registered
20 Posts
i've been looking in to this personally, but not for voicemail, rather for a calling card setup. apparently the best way to accomplish this task is that once you have dialed the number and have an active connection, hit the memory control button and load a number from the directory/phonebook. you'll have to save your pin number as a separate directory/phonebook number. i haven't tried this yet, but give it a shot, it sounds easier than doing it manually.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try that....

You would think that Audi would be aware that most voice mail systems require a pin to be entered. What were they thinking when they designed this feature? Is voicemail in Europe different?

Chris

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Re: I'll try that....

Spotshooter said:
You would think that Audi would be aware that most voice mail systems require a pin to be entered. What were they thinking when they designed this feature? Is voicemail in Europe different?
Nope - same problem in Europe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Easy workaround for this little glitch, figured it out this morning.
This explanation is for dialing a long distance number using a calling card, but it would also apply to the voicemail fn with a little tweak.
Using your MFSW, use the left function button on the wheel to access the phonebook once connected. Then select your calling card (you should program the phone to dial the number...insert pause...then pin) and you should then be instructed to enter the destination number you wish to call.
For some reason, the nav system will not recognize the pause if you access the phonebook and dial directly from there. So we have to use the MFSW for the first step and then the nav system for the second.
While this is all being done, press the memory key on the nav system and access your phonebook/directory and once asked to enter destination number select the phone number you wish to call, with long distance codes programmed in the phone already. Voila, two steps to use your calling card with minimal effort...once of course you have already setup the prior steps.

Hopefully in future upgrades, the software guys will take this into account and allow the nav system/BT/cell phone to integrate smoothly.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Set up your account to not require a PIN when calling your voicemail...problem solved.

That's how mine is setup and no problems here.

On a side note, I wish it showed on the RNS screen when you have a voicemail, like a little envelope icon...that would be sweet.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
HX_Guy said:
Set up your account to not require a PIN when calling your voicemail...problem solved.

That's how mine is setup and no problems here.
Have you not seen the UK newspapers, or has this not been reported in other countries?

Several journalists have been arrested for (allegedly) accesing the voice mailbox of celebrities (including Prince Charles) and using the information gathered to compromise their security.

OK I'm not a celebrity (shame!) - but I wouldn't want to make it that easy for anyone to be able to access information about me. Remember your voice mailbox has it's own phone number which anyone in the world can call, so it's only the password that keeps your messages safe from unwanted listeners.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Maybe it works different in the UK (although I doubt it) but what I mean is to disable the PIN verification when you call from your own cell phone. If you call from another line to access the voicemail, it still asks for the PIN.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I agree that the easiest way to do this is to setup a contact in your phone with all the pauses and PINs you need for voicemail. Then if you dial that contact using the steering wheel and DIS, it will use the pauses correctly. For some reason if you dial the contact using the RNS-E it will not work.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My carrier (Cingular-US) does not requrie a password/PIN if my caller ID displays my number on outgoing calls. If I have the caller ID set to "private" then I have to enter my PIN. My phone has the option to display or not display the ID. I just leave the caller ID on so that when I dial my vm number, it goes directly to my messages.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
T-Mobile has special number so if you cal from your mobile yo don't need any PIN. If you do it from other phone you will not conect at all.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Vodafone in the UK requires a PIN whether you call the voicemailbox from your mobile (even when using the shortform number 121) or any number.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.