Audi Forum banner

Nav unit questions

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  AudiA4B6US 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2005 B6 A4 and I am considering changing from my cars original Symphony II radio to one of the GPS units.

As some of you may know, the Symphony II unit has a built in, volume control dependent EQ circuit, which I am currently getting around by using the JL Audio Cleansweep.
However as I use this car as my main demonstration vehicle for our audio components, would like to get away from using any components that I do not absolutely have to use.

So my question is, has anyone ever tested the outputs of the Navigation headunits, to see if these also have the nasty Volume Control dependent EQ on them?

One other question, if I am forced to swap out the OEM Audio Symphony II radio for a quality aftermarket headunit, what functions of the car will I be losing, other than the dash display of the radio information?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

#2 ·
While many say the RNS-E sounds better than the Symphony II head unit, it uses the same GALA/DSP/BOSE features. If your car has Bose now, you will have the same after upgrading to the RNS-E. One option of course is to remove all Bose/Audi components, install a quality multi-channel amp and new speakers and code the head unit for a non-Bose system. You can use the line out to drive your 3rd party amp - with either the RNS-E or the Symphony head unit. Together with a 3rd party EQ you may get better sound but with any non-OEM head unit you will loose the center display.

#3 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
While many say the RNS-E sounds better than the Symphony II head unit, it uses the same GALA/DSP/BOSE features. If your car has Bose now, you will have the same after upgrading to the RNS-E. One option of course is to remove all Bose/Audi components, install a quality multi-channel amp and new speakers and code the head unit for a non-Bose system. You can use the line out to drive your 3rd party amp - with either the RNS-E or the Symphony head unit. Together with a 3rd party EQ you may get better sound but with any non-OEM head unit you will loose the center display.
Hi, and thank you for your comments.
Yes we already have several of our amplifiers instgalled and have replaced the OEM speaker system as well.
Using the Cleansweep to "de-equalize" the preamp output from the Symphony II unit helps considerably, however is still far from ideal.

So the Audi NAV units all have the volume control position dependent equalization? Please note that I do NOT mean any Bose settings. I am referring to the built in equalization curves that Audi engineered into the Symphony II unit to try to maximize the performance of the crappy OEM speaker system, one which changes at each and every volume control position and is independent of any Bose settings.

Is the dash display the ONLY functionality lost when replaceing the OEM headunit with an aftermarket unit?

#4 ·
Most Audi OEM head units can be coded for different Audi models resulting in different EQ curves. It's probably trial and error to find the best fit. And if there is no best fit only aftermarket solutions can help.

In the A4 B6/B7 you would need to find the speed signal if you want some speed dependent volume adjustment with your aftermarket head unit, and the wires for illuination and ignition. Those are signals taken from CAN if you are using an OEM head unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.