Audi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What steps to i need to go through if i have an audi with a Navigation System already installed and I have Bose Speakers and SYM 1 unit. I have purchased a Nav+ unit F series, for the A6, I also need to install a DVD player in the Glove Box and multi disc cd player in the trunk.

The Navigation wires are already installed, and the little control joystick near the hand break is already there too. Is there a way to install the Nav+ unit and still be able to use those controls and the controls on the Steering Wheel?

Also what do I need to be able to install the Nav+ unit since I have all of the exisiting wiring? I am unclear as to weather the posts that others have made pertain to units that have Nav and Bose systems already.

Please Let me know. Thank You all for your time...

Bob

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If you are in North America you won't have a TMC tuner already installed even though you had the BNS (small navi) and the Symphony. That means, other than that you already have a GPS antenna on the roof, the retrofit will be very similar to those described in the quick links here in this forum. The BNS controls will no longer work with the Navi+ RNS-D.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
safe pin not attached!

safe pin not attached! that is the message that I get when I Plug in my Unit.

I input the code click ok and then I get that message. It is translated from German though.

Do you have any idea as to what that means?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so here is what I found that may be the problem

Ok so here is what I found that may be the problemm I need to jump the

5 and 7 connections on III, Quick question how do I do that... Do I need to splice the wire and add another, I am lost as of right now, I dont want to mess this system up..

I need to create a 12v at both 5 and 7... This is what I know and How to do it right is the question...

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I'm not a RNS-D expert but the quick links have a couple of detailed instructions, one of them is at http://www.nav-plus.com/instructions/a4b6.html and it says for pin 5 in connector III: Make jumper from +12 on pin 7 of same connector. Must have +12 to operate Nav.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is what I have and have, let me know what to do

Hello Teddy,

I have an Audi A6 V8 4.2L 2000. It has a symphony 1, I think ,stereo unit. I currently have the installed Navigation System with the CD reader for the Navigation in the trunk. The Unit that I purchased was from eBay. here is the link .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180072670898&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=008

I also purchased a DVD player a Flexvision DVD4000, I want to install that into my glove compartment, here is the link for that and the link for the harness that I also purchased for the for the DVD unit to work.
But the only problem that I have after looking that the DVD wires is how does it get power.

But anywho, Here are the links for the Harness and the DVD player..

This is the Harness...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120076166226&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=002

This is the DVD player

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290069973257

I the DVD player has Audio and Video Connections(Red White Yellow) I just don't know how to give it power if you need pictures I can send them too you. What ever you need let me know..

Will I still be able to use my existing controls for the new navigation system?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Re: Here is what I have and have, let me know what to do

AudiA6BobFortMyersFL said:
Will I still be able to use my existing controls for the new navigation system?
There's no long answer to this .... no.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was windering

In other types of Audi's That have the Navigation Plus or RNS-D units that were factory installed, did they have steering wheel controls that would work with the Nav+? Also on these models did they also have a control just like the DIS navigation systems?

And if they were able to have the steering controls then i should be able to set up my system to use the Nav+ and Steering controls..

What do you all think...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They Said it could not be done

Hello,

Well here is the situation as of right now.

I have the Navigation Unit in the Car with out the DVD Player and with out the Navigation DVD.

Now with that being said,

The Steering Wheel Controls Work... Yes that is right everyone they work... I can scan Stations, Raise the Volume, and well that is it as of right now, and I can here music on one station ( I am sure there is a way to fix that) How I have not a clue... Now All I have to do is install the DVD Player and find a CD Player.

Only Problem that I may have is that, I did not change any wires. What can this do to the System? Please let me know. But I got it to work. and i jumped the 5 and 7 wire on III.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Re: I was windering

AudiA6BobFortMyersFL said:
In other types of Audi's That have the Navigation Plus or RNS-D units that were factory installed, did they have steering wheel controls that would work with the Nav+? Also on these models did they also have a control just like the DIS navigation systems?

And if they were able to have the steering controls then i should be able to set up my system to use the Nav+ and Steering controls..

What do you all think...
None of the OE nav systems can have the navigation features controlled by the steering wheel buttons (OK - 1 exception the SDS versions of the RNS-E which use the PTT button), only volume and preset scan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is another issue i have - should i send it back

here is another issue i have - should i send it back or is there a fix. I have the cd for the unit but the does not go iinto the unit. The unit states

Navigation Defective - Now I do not have the GPS wire conneted to the unit as of right now. I have to get a cable to run from the trunk. But when I goto the navigation menu, it has one item highlighted and that is to eject the CD. but when I press the button to ge the CD out nothing happens.

Dave I will try and figure out of to post a video of the unit and me using the contols on the Steering wheel.

The unit had previously came with a a CDC button on the old radio, maybe that has something to do with it.

If I am unable to install the CD, I have to send the unit back to Germany, major bummer and he states that he is going to send me another unit.

I have a real feeling that then the Steering Controls will not work, lol.

If anyone has a fis for this CD problem let me know. You all have been a great help and Teddy, Thank you for all of your help too.

This website is an asset to all Audi People "AudiWide"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.