Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the RNS-E unit, and I figure it would automatically figure out I'm in LA. But when I start it up, it says i'm in Washington everytime. I see I can get 3 satellites which should be enough to triangulate my position. Is there some type of initial setup I need to do? I would have thought not.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aha. Yeah, looks like it needs more than 3 to figure out where you are. Ok, here's my next question, I have 5 or 6 satellites showing up, but when I'm correlating the map to where I am, it always appears to be "off" from where I really am. I guess it takes time to update, but even when I'm stopped at an intersection, it doesn't seem to recognize that I am exactly at that intersection. Is this just the way it is?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
GPS, like we have, is only accurate to within a few tens of yards/metres - so that's as good as it gets.

The very accurate systems you hear about on TV use Differential GPS and/or clever decoding algoriuthms to get accuracy to within a few inches (sometimes even less). But they cost $$$$$$$

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Just give it more time to get acclimated to your car. Once it figures out your speed pulses and you internal gyro gets calibrated then it will be much more exact.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am having the same issue with my a3. I just had an fm modulator added for my sirius plug and play (yes...i know it is not the ideal set up, but i really had no choice, long sordid story. i didn't use the nav yesterday, but when i turned on the map today it had me located about two to three miles south of where i actually was. will this fix itself or will i have to take the car in?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts