Audi Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all, this is based on a collection of data that I've been gathering after reading/participating in 14+ months of the Audi/Nav/Yahoo forum. Feel free to post a question to that forum if you can't find your answer on this site. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/AudiNav/

The Nav Plus is probably the top OEM head unit you can install in your C5 A6/S6/allroad/RS6 (next to the RNS-E/DVD). After 14+ months of using this unit, I (and many others) have come to acknowledge several “quirks†worth noting. I will try to edit/revise/add to this list in the coming months.

Below is a collection of those nuances in using a Nav+. I can’t take credit for all of these findings but, Dan Gold and John Lofquist and the rest of the Audi Yahoo Nav forum were all major contributors to this (whether they new I was assembling it or not). As always, please read Dan’s site thoroughly: http://www.nav-plus.com/instructions/

Of course, you should also read the users manual thoroughly so you can fully understand how to operate your Nav+ and take full advantage of its advanced features and functions.
http://www.nav-plus.com/instructions/operation.html

1) Getting oriented with your new Nav+:
The best thing that you can do is program at least 10 destinations. Try and pix some locations (like your home, work etc) that you know how to navigate to and some that you don’t; some that require highway driving, “forks†in the road etc. This will help you understand how the Nav+ interprets the information on the NavTeq mapdisks and how it gets translated onto the various screens on the Nav+ (and the DIS, if you have the TMC installed). Also, as you are navigating, you should make several attempts to deviate from the route to see how the Nav+ responds and reacts. You will probably find new routes or back roads that you were never aware of. I like to use the map mode while I’m on the highway because it gives me a graphic view of the off/on-ramps and how sharp or gradual they may be, which usually dictates my speed. Ha! Of course, your mileage may vary and you should always obey all posted speed limits.

2) Forks in the road:
I’ve learned that “forks†in the road can be translated differently in the Nav+ and on the DIS. Usually this depends on which direction that you are traveling and whether or not the specific road ends or begins in the fork. Luckily, the map mode will give you a graphical view of the fork and the recommended navigation route. Those with the TMC installed, will have the directional arrows on the instrument cluster and the map view on the LCD screen. I really don’t consider this an issue but it is something that I’ve noticed in 10 months of usage. Of course, your mileage may vary and you should always obey all posted speed limits.

3) Saving FM presets / RDS:
Like your Symphony I or II, the Nav+ is capable of receiving Radio Data System (RDS) information for [FM] radio station and song names by a scrolling 8 character display. When you are setting up your presets, you will be saving radio information to memory. By doing this, you could actually be saving the RDS info as part of the process. Thus leaving you with a song name for a label instead of the station name. To avoid this, you need to time it so that the station name is on the display when you save it to memory. This might be bit tedious at first. When I was done, I ended up with 12 FM presets with station names like “OLDIESâ€, “MIX 98.5â€, “KISS 108†etc.

4) Navigation audio control (shortcut):
While you are navigating to a destination, the ladies voice will make frequent announcements (“turn left in 200 yardsâ€, “follow road for 3 miles†etc.). While navigating to a location, you can quickly access the navigation audio control by pressing the “info†button. When the voice speaks, just adjust the volume knob to your desired setting.

5) Hidden Equalizer:
In the Nav+ head unit, you will not be able to access the hidden equalization settings found in the Symphony head units. By pressing the “tone†button, you can access the bass, treble, fader and balance controls. For more information on the hidden EQ, see this site: http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/radios.html

6) Telephone volume knob/OEM Audi Motorola, Nokia car kit:
If you decide to install an aftermarket hands-free cell phone [Bluetooth] kit, you will find that you will have a separate volume control via the Nav+ while you are making/receiving phone calls. In the volume setup screen, you can actually turn the navigation voice prompts on or off while the phone is in use. I use a Motorola v60 hands-free kit (not the OEM Audi version) and it works great. Also, it is uncertain whether the OEM Audi Motorola/Nokia car kit for the v60 will work in a Nav+ environment. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has set this up. See this link for ideas on how to add an aftermarket hands free cellphone kit: http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec95.shtml

7) Tone Control (i.e. Fader/Balance/Base/Treble):
I also noticed that when I fade the audio to the rear (when my son is watching a movie) it always resets itself to it’s default settings after you shut the unit off and turn it back on. Also worth noting, if you fade the volume all the way to the rear, you will still hear navigation announcements in the front speakers.

8 ) Contrast Menu (shortcut):
By holding the display button for 5 seconds, you can be taken directly to the contrast menu.

9) OEM CD Changer:
I tend to burn a lot of CD-R/RW discs to operate in my OEM trunk-mounted CD changer. I have noticed that some of these discs tend to cause the display to read “NO CD†on an intermittent basis. It doesn’t mean that I can’t play the disc; it just means that the display is misinterpreting the CD information. In most cases, one of the 6 discs will change the display from “CD 6†to “NO CD 6†etc while driving. I believe this varies with the brand of CD that you use. It has never happened to me with a pre-recorded CD. Of course, your mileage may vary.

10) Overall Sound Quality:
It is true that the Nav+ is the highest quality OEM head unit you can install in your C5. I have noticed that the overall sound quality (my 2001 does not have the Bose option) was greatly improved. The frequency response was much better than in my Symphony I. Others with the Symphony II and Bose have noticed the same improvement after they installed their Nav+. Of course, your mileage will vary.

11) TP (Traffic Program) message:
Most new users will notice the words “No TP†in both the FM and the instrument cluster display (if a TMC/CAN is installed). This can easily be disabled without the use of a VAG-COM. (Per Ken Zhao) The Nav+ has the ability to receive traffic messages from the last radio station you listened to before you turn the car off. It continues to log traffic messages for 24hrs and that's what that message is indicating, it's not an error. Each time you take the key out you will probably see a message on the display that reads “TP deactivated….etc etcâ€. That message will show briefly before the Nav+ shuts off. The TP function can be disabled when the system is ON (via ignition switch). Hold down TP key for 3+ seconds (and wait for a "BEEP") to disable the message function (you should disable TP if you are in the US to get rid of that annoying NO TP message on the second line of the DIS if you have a TMC, and it also gets rid of the blinking NO TP on the Nav+ LCD screen). Also, others have noted that their battery has been drained due to TP working while the ignition was turned off. For additional details on TP, see page 52 of the user manual.

12) Map disks:
Blaupunkt provides the navigation hardware for Audi’s CD-based navigation systems (except the RNS-E/DVD). Blaupunkt also supports Mercedes Benz (Command System) and VW (MFD and MFD2) navigation units. Therefore, the map disks are laid out the same and will work in your Nav+. In the case of Mercedes, all discs are compatible with the exception of the ML-class. I have used map disks from a MB S and SL-class and also the discs from a VW Touareg. Of course, you want to make sure you use a CD-ROM based disk that is D-Navi. Also worth noting, is that I can remove my original modified map disc and then insert an original disc (not modified) from a VW Touareg and it accepts it without any hesitation.

Map disks/Release dates: In January 2004, Audi/MB/VW released a major update to the D-Navi CD map discs. The significance of this release is the RouteUSA/Travel America option. RouteUSA is a registered trademark of NAVTEQ. RouteUSA is a feature that has all of the USA interstate/highway system loaded on each of the 10 D-Navi discs for North America. The benefit to this is that you can navigate from Boston to Miami without having to replace map discs along the way. Of course, if you wanted street-level or point-of-interest information, you’d have to insert that respective mapdisc…and so on. Also worth noting, Navteq will typically release a new update in the January/February timeframe. That update is based on road changes/additions/points-of-interest up until June/July of that previous year. The 2005 release (with RouteUSA) came out in January of 2005 and is based on all additions etc up until June/July of 2004.

A mapset from NAVTEQ for an audi can be found here:
http://www.navteq.com/ProductFinder?action=productDetail&productId=126

13) Ejecting the Navigation Disc:
For most users in North America, you’ll have to operate your Nav+ with a modified map disk or CD-R/RW. This means that you’ll have a disc media that will probably be slightly larger in thickness than discs shipped straight from Navteq or Audi etc. Or sometimes, the faceplate of your Nav+ isn’t perfectly lined up with the drive mechanism. To remove the disk, you just need to repeat the disk-eject process and it will come out. This process can vary with how cold or warm the interior is during eject. What I’ve done is actually purchased a backup Nav disc from a VW Touareg (can be found on ebay.com etc for cheap money). When my modified disc was originally inserted, it loaded up the appropriate modified files so that the Nav+ could read from a US-based navigation disc. Once these modified files are loaded, a non-modified disc (of the same release date) can be inserted and fully functional. I’m not sure if this will work if I change map discs from a different region (such as #7 to #8 while taking a road trip); I haven’t tested it. This way, my modified disc becomes my backup if I should ever need it. For most folks, you will probably spend 95% of your navigating off one map disk. Of course, your mileage will vary.

14) Reverse wire – location/necessity:
As part of the installation, the reverse wire/lead can be accessed to inform the Nav+ that the car is in reverse. For most A6 owners the reverse wire is usually very time-consuming to locate (I believe this is different in the B5/B6 A4/S4). Many of the folks who have installed a Nav+ (including myself) chose not to hook-up the reverse wire. I’ve tested the Nav+ in a parking lot by going in reverse and the GPS satellites provided the necessary updates to the location. Of course, your mileage may vary.

15) PhatNoise PhatBox MP3 player:
The PhatBox interfaces with the Nav+ the same way that the OEM trunk-mounted CD Changer does. The Nav+ is included as one of the accepted radio configurations in the PhatBox Radio Setup Guide. The only downside to operating the PhatBox, is that you won’t be able to operate both the PhatBox and the OEM CD changer at the same time, unless you use this custom device: http://forums.audiworld.com/audio/msgs/38643.phtml .

Here is my install/write-up on the PhatBox:
http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/496005.phtml

Approximately 50% of the Nav+/PhatBox owners have reported a temporary drop-out of the audio (for a half second) every 15 minutes.
Here is a fix from Ken Zhao: http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=213

This is probably something that can be corrected with a firmware update from PhatNoise. The Nav+ does not have a “SCAN†button like the Symphony I or II. The “SCAN†button allows you to hear the current artist, genre, album name repeated when you are listening to it. Please reference these links for further information on the Nav+ and PhatBox:
http://www.phatnoise.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=1452
http://www.phatnoise.com/downloads/3301-HUSETUP_web.pdf
http://www.phatnoise.com/audi/support.htm

16) “Turn off TMC message†(if no TMC is installed):
To turn off the TMC warning you need VAG.com to adjust the settings. If your installer has VAG-COM then he/she should be able to connect to your car and in Module 37 set adoption channel 6 to 0, this should do the trick.

17) TMC/CAN with clock setting:
If you have a TMC/CAN installed, then the Nav+ is fed the clock information via the dash cluster display. If you don’t have a TMC/CAN installed, then the clock is set via the Nav+ menu.

18 ) Running sound after ignition is turned off:
If you’ve noticed the back of your Nav+ has a 2†fan in the upper right hand corner. After an extended period of time using the Nav+, the LCD and mapdrive will get hot..therefore the fan will remain on when the car is turned off. Maybe that explain’s why there is a “safe†wire in Connector III.

19) Driving in tunnels:
I live in the Boston area and tend to find myself driving through numerous tunnels (Mass Pike, Sumner Tunnel, Callahan Tunnel etc). I’ve noticed that in some scenarios, the Nav+ will locate me on a street that is parallel to my direction of travel and above me. Sometimes, it can take 2 minutes or 5 miles of driving for it to automatically correct itself. If in map/display mode…or navigating to a destination, I’ve found that if I select “stop navigation†or switch off “Map/Display†mode, the Nav+ will recalibrate the GPS and correct your current location. I guess they don’t have any tunnels in Europe. Ha!

20) SAFE wire / Entering 4 digit security code:
In the black 8 pin connector (III), pin location #5 (in some audi's this slot is open; in others it is used as a remote lead for a power antenna) is for the SAFE wire (which requires a constant 12v source; NOT ignition 12v).

I hope this was useful information. Again, I will post addition content from my technical article to this forum so other can read/benefit from it.

Enjoy! :D
-ted

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great write-up!!
Almost everything that I read here applies to my Touareq MFD-2.
Just one little correction: Only the 9 US maps show the Highway systems coast to coast. Unfortunately the 10th CD, the one for Canada, is still on a different Planet without any overlap even at border crossings.

Speaking of Canada (since that's where I am), there is absolutely no mapping on the Canada CD for the Eastern Maritime Provinces. :eek:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Recent addition from the Yahoo forum. Thanks to Peter Bell for providing this feedback:

20) SAFE wire / Entering 4 digit security code:
In the black 8 pin connector (III), pin location #5 (in some audi's this slot is open; in others it is used as a remote lead for a power antenna) is for the SAFE wire (which requires a constant 12v source; NOT ignition 12v).

> When I recieved my car back, the radio/Nav code number prompt
> appeared stating "SAFE" . I entered the number that is in the book
> that had worked in the past. I rejected my code number and went into
> SAFE mode again?! is there a way to remedy this problem?

I can only think of three reasons that the code wouldn't work (other
than that you just entered it incorrectly):
1. The 'safe' wire isn't connected (see pin#5 in connector #III)
2. The Nav unit has developed a fault
3. The Nav unit has been swapped.

I presume that the serial no. on the unit matches that on the code card.
If so, that should eliminate option 3 above.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts