Audi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, the European Nav+ requires you to make some slight modifications to some files within the North American navigation map disks (i.e. "the software) in order for them to work in the European Nav+ (i.e. "the hardware). Again...this is only for folks who want to use their Nav+ in North America.

Dan Gold, the architect of the original Nav+ "How To" site, had to remove the section that outlined how to modify the NavTeq/Audi mapdisks because Volkswagon of America asked him to take his website down (long story). Therefore, the instructions are no longer posted. Here's his original site: http://www.nav-plus.com

Some of the early adoptors (not me) still have access to the information for how to modify the discs. I've learned that if you have access to one modified map disk...you can then load it...then eject it...then load a map disk that has not been modified. If you post your question here...or on the Yahoo forum: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/AudiNav/

To view all discussion threads: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/AudiNav/
Questions can be sent to the team at: [email protected]

In my opinion, unless you are experienced in burning/copying media like this (as this is more involved than burning files to a CD or DVD rom)...then it might be more of a hassle for you.

Here's what you do..if you don't want to attempt to modify the mapdisks:
1) Purchase the appropriate D-navi map disks from NavTeq, ebay etc.
2) Find someone (via the yahoo forum...or this forum) who has a modified disk that they can let you borrow.
3) Insert modified map disk into Nav+ (you need to make sure the release dates for both disks are identical). Allow some time for the updated files to load (you'll see two horizontal bars on your Nav+ screen).
4) Eject modified map disk
5) Insert the appropriate D-Navi mapdisk (i.e. the unmodified version) into you Nav+ and you should be good-to-go!

Disks (D-Navi) that should work:
- Blaupunkt TravelPilot CD-based
- Audi Nav CD-based
- VW MFD CD-based (I've tested the Touareg disks)
- Mercedes Benz Command CD-based (except ML class)

A mapset from NAVTEQ for an audi can be found here:
http://www.navteq.com/ProductFinder?action=productDetail&productId=126

Also worth noting, Navteq typically releases a new update in the January/February timeframe. That update is based on road changes/additions/points-of-interest up until June/July of that previous year. For instance, the 2005 release (with RouteUSA) came out in January of 2005 and is based on all additions etc up until June/July of 2004.

Other useful information....

Picture of North America and mapdisk location #'s:
http://www.vwnavi.com/vwnavi/photos/albums/userpics/US_Coverage.JPG

Map disks/Release dates:
In January 2004, Audi/MB/VW/Blaupunkt released a major update to the D-Navi CD map discs. The significance of this release is the RouteUSA/Travel America option. RouteUSA is a registered trademark of NAVTEQ. RouteUSA is a feature that has all of the USA interstate/highway system loaded on each of the 10 D-Navi discs for North America. The benefit to this is that you can navigate from Boston to Miami without having to replace map discs along the way. Of course, if you wanted street-level or point-of-interest information, you’d have to insert that respective mapdisc…and so on.

Ejecting the Navigation Disc:
For most users in North America, you’ll have to operate your Nav+ with a modified map disk or CD-R/RW. This means that you’ll have a disc media that will probably be slightly larger in thickness than discs shipped straight from Navteq or Audi etc. Or sometimes, the faceplate of your Nav+ isn’t perfectly lined up with the drive mechanism. To remove the disk, you just need to repeat the disk-eject process and it will come out. This process can vary with how cold or warm the interior is during eject. What I’ve done is actually purchased a backup Nav disc from a VW Touareg (can be found on ebay.com etc for cheap money). When my modified disc was originally inserted, it loaded up the appropriate modified files so that the Nav+ could read from a US-based navigation disc. Once these modified files are loaded, a non-modified disc (of the same release date) can be inserted and fully functional. I’m not sure if this will work if I change map discs from a different region (such as #7 to #8 while taking a road trip); I haven’t tested it. This way, my modified disc becomes my backup if I should ever need it. For most folks, you will probably spend 95% of your navigating off one map disk. Of course, your mileage will vary.

See also this post in additional nuancies, tips, quirks etc with the Nav+:
http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=193

I hope this was helpful for you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Audi disc

I purchased Disc 8 from audi, modified it, the system accepted the mods and ejected the mod disc, but when i inserted the original, it still didn't work.

I tried the same process w/ an extra set of Touareg discs I have + it worked fine.

I'm not sure what the problem is w/ the Audi disc but Navteq didn't know either so they took the disc back.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Audi disc

jjacob2 said:
I purchased Disc 8 from audi, modified it, the system accepted the mods and ejected the mod disc, but when i inserted the original, it still didn't work.

I tried the same process w/ an extra set of Touareg discs I have + it worked fine.

I'm not sure what the problem is w/ the Audi disc but Navteq didn't know either so they took the disc back.
If it rejected the moded disk...then that means that the files weren't uploaded to the Nav+...which means the original disc would've been rejected as well. Makes sense.

Funny that Touareg disc worked ok.

Hey...can we add you to the list of installation contacts? We need someone from VA/DC to the list. What is your email address, car/make/model etc?

-ted

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have 2004 blaupunkt travelpilot discs brand new never used

i have the blaupunkt travelpilot discs D NAVI brand new for 129.99. they are brand new never been used. i will ship for free. if interested let me know. it is the complete set.
contact me if interested

·
Registered
47 Posts
contact

Teddy:

I had my system installed at the dealer sicne I was afraid to fry any electronics; I had to walk them through it.

But if you still want to add me as a contact, that's fine w/ me.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to Lee Levitt for troubleshooting this particular nuance. Lee's Nav+ is a 4B0-035-192 "K" revision (this might also apply to K, L or M revision letters) and the firmware was dated as Sept 2003. Seems like the Nav+ (CD-based) with a revision letter that high has had some issues accepting the modified map disk for North America/USA.

For most of us with the Nav+, the latest firmware is dated on November 15, 2001. See this link for more details.
http://www.nav-plus.com/instructions/software.html

According to others on the Yahoo Forum (Peter Bell et all), here's some cutting and pasting from some email exchanges from the yahoo forum:

Here's an interesting datapoint. I have a D-Nav installed in my '02 A6. It has Sept '03 firmware and I could not get *any* modified disks past 2002 to load. The initial software would load but I'd then get disk errors. I just got my hands on a set of original Jan 2005 Mercedes disks. I loaded the 2005 modified disk, which of course failed. I then loaded an original 2005 disk and guess what, I'm mapping! I'm convinced that the later disks have copy protection that works differently with the later firmware. So now the question is, how do we get the modified disks to work with the '03 firmware?
In the meantime, I'm mapping! And my first entry was Miami Beach (I'm in Boston). The '02 disks don't map nationally...this set sure does! It routed me from Boston to Miami! Interestingly, I have a set of '03 or '04 VW Toureg disks which I did not get to work. I'm not sure I had the right loader, tho.
Lee

> Appearances aside, does anyone know if you can update the software on
> say an F revision Navi-D to make it function like a K, or are there
> other differences (hardware for instance) other than looks that
> seperate these different revisions?

Be aware that when discussing revision letters it is important to identify which model is being discussed. I know that, in your case, you are referring to the C5 A6 units, with part numbers starting 4B0.

Other models will have totally different revision letter sequences. For instance, the A2 units (8Z0 ...) only had no suffix and 'A' suffix versions.

--
Peter Bell - [email protected]

> there doesnt appear to be any functional upgrades in the software
> since the 15th nov 2001 update afaik

I presume that there must be some reason for issuing firmware updates -
mine is "May 17 2002 / 14:53:52"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can someone elp me out. I've got a D-NAVI system installed on my 2000 S4 and I just learned that the maps I purchased on ebay have to be modified to work on my unit. If someone can modify my disks, sell me a modified disk, or give me directions on how to modify my disks, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mapdisks for C-Navi system

Are the disks needed for a C-Navi system different from those for a D-Navi system? I can get modified disks to work in a d-navi but not in my c-navi system. If so, if anyone has a c-navi disk for the Mid-Atlantic and one for New England...I'm very interested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts