Audi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently purchased a Navigation plus (8D0 035 192 E) for my 00' S4
I've read the Navplus.com write up of the install but still have a few question regarding the installation if someone could help me out

1) What are my choices on where to mount the Gps antenna? on the write up the rear deck was reccomended but on Audiworld i've noticed people have installed the antenna behind the odometer....Would this be a problem? and where exactly behind the odometer are they reffering too?

2) I see the Vag-com is used for the programming of the Nav+ after u install the unit....i do not have a Vag-com....do u have to have it to complete the installation of the unit?

3) the unit i purchased does not come w/ the Cd maps....i've noticed that on euro Nav+ models(like mine) in order to use U.s Maps you have to first insert a modified Cd before the actual U.S cd map can work properly...Where might i be able to borrow or buy the modified cd??

4) is anyone here that has done these installs from michigan? im kind of nervous about doing the install myself...If not, where might i be able to take my car to have the Nav+ installed? audi dealer??

Thanks alot for your time
Best Regards

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello,

my gps antenna is hidden under the dashboard... it just works great i always have more than 5 sattelites. You can just put the antenna somewhere under the dashboard and watch the gps viewer of your nav system.... if you're receiving enough sattelites then the place is ok :)

You should be able to install this unit by your self with some help from guys on this forum... but if you cant get it working or dont want to do it your self then you should look for some kind of navigation dealer in your area. If you let audi install this unit they would maybe charge you more money than you paid for the navigation :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply...i probably will just mount it in the dash somewhere since it seems like it would make the job much easier

Still not sure if i should do the install myself, but im going to keep reading into it and then maybe i will

Thanks again!

·
Registered
996 Posts
lush,
I would spend your time in the quicklinks section of this forum (CD-based); items addressed:

gps location: yes
vag com: yes
map disks: Yes...I can lend you a modified disk if you want. Ping me when you have everything installed...and have purchased a set of D-navi 2005 disks from midwestelectronics.com
installation experts: yes

All of your answers can be addressed in quicklinks.

Happy reading!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks For the response TeddyBGame! was hoping you would reply since i see your one of the Guru's on this site
I'll look over those links u suggested and i will contact u regarding the Modified nav cd when im done w/ the install
Thanks again for the response!

·
Registered
4 Posts
This forum is just what I was looking for.
I also recently purchased a Navigation plus (8EO 035 192) for my 04' A4. I have a single DIN cage with an Audi Concert single CD player.
The Audi dealer in my city (Sarasota, FL) will not do the installation for me. They told me that it could not be done. So my questions are:
1) Can this installation be done at all? I've been reading the posts from you guys (specially the links provided by TeddyBGame), and I think I can do this with some help.
2) Do I need to replace the single DIN cage with a double one? If so, where can I find this part?
3) How much time is necessary to install the whole thing?
4) Is there anybody in Florida that can provide this kind of service? Just in case I can’t do it myself.

I’d appreciate anybody’s help. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi cbd1970,

This may help a little. I completed my conversion for a concert in my 03 A4 Avant in January, you will need the following: -

1, RNSD cd based navigation unit & Navigation cd.
2, Climate control unit to suit double DIN facia (Or you can file existing to suit)
3, Double DIN cage
4, Centre console (Optional as you can modify existing with little damage)
5, Wiring harness to suit navi
6, GPs Antenae
7, ELSA Win (Audi service manuals on DVD readily available from ebay)

I would strongly suggest hiring the help of an Audi vehichle technician for a day to stripout your console, dash and glove box and to reasseble. This will be required to install the double din cage. I hired a tech on a saturday (his day off) for £80 and the job only took him 3hrs from start to finish. All the electrics can be done by anyone who is competent with a cars 12v system. As far as the signals are concerned, I got my backlight signal from the back of the ESP switch which is easier than trying to take your dash clocks out. My A4 did not have a GALA (Speed) signal present at my concert head unit or behind the dash, so the ABS signal in the passanger foot well electrical block (This is where you need the ELSA software) was used and the Navi plus altered to suit.

The job can be quite daunting at first but with patients and full use of the internet resources (Like this site) can be well worth the effort.

Hope this helps,

Pirez

1 - 8 of 8 Posts