Audi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
car Info:2001 allroad symphony I with bose tele and cd-changer(trunk).

I ordered a rns-e kit from a well respected person on these forums and installed it on the 16th by following NSX-JR's symphonyI to RNS-E install DIY. (very detailed might I add)

THE PROBLEMS:
When the key is in the ignition but in the off position I can enter the pin code and it will accept it with no problem. However when I go to explore the unit and see what works/doesn't work I find that everything (radio, cd, sd, name, nav route input screen and calculation) works except for the navigation doesn't recieve any satallites.

With the key in the ignition and in the on position (but the vehicle not started) the screen for the pin code comes up and keeps coming up no matter how many times I enter what I know is the CORRECT pin.

I was able to get the pin to work once while the car was moving and everything worked but the nav....the pointer stayed in one spot (my driveway) and whenever i hit info it would say something like unable to start route you are offroad...

oh yeah the DIS worked....it displayed all the correct info except for movement of the car...when i had the NAV on the arrow was always the same and never changed.

Oh and I decided to run through the vag-com part of the install again (with no luck) and I decided while I was in there to see if the unit had stored any fault codes and it said this.

Friday,17,November,2006,00:13:22

VAG-COM Version: Release 512.4-D

Control Module Part Number: 4B0 035 192 P

Component and/or Version: RNS-E US3 H58 X---

Software Coding: 0509113

Work Shop Code: WSC 72907

2 Faults Found:

00862 - Antenna for GPS Navigation (R50/R52)

007 - Short to Ground

00858 - Connection; Radio ZF Output to Antenna Amplifier

011 - Open Circuit

The radio zf output to antenna amplifier is because I only have the FM antenna connected....aka no AM connected....
But why the GPS short to ground??

PLEASE HELP ME FIX THIS so I can have a normal nav like the rest of you....thanks
BRANDON ATALLIAN

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I would say you got a broken GPS antenna.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I agree. Your GPS antenna short to ground means it is not working...and that is why your pointer did not move on the map.

About entering the PIN code... did you try the sequence outlined in the install guide? I have found that letting the unit stay on with the car running for a while is really helpful. Also, rebooting the unit as discussed in the guide is a must for every unit I have put in a 2000-2001 car.

Also just to note: your two antenna leads are not FM and AM. You get FM and AM over one antenna wire, and the other antenna wire is used to power the diversity switcher box. So, you're basically running the unit without a full diversity antenna system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LEE- I turned the unit on last night ...rebooted...tried to enter the pin and nothing happened...I let it sit over night and still nothing happened.....I drove to school and on my way home entered the m\pin and at last it worked!....thank you so much for the help so far!

TeddyBGame said:
i'm wondering if the gala wire is connected too.....as a secondary issue.
I have a feeling that something is wrong with this as well...If you have a route planned out on your nav and unplug the gps antenna shouldn't the pointer still move because the gala signal tells the unit that the car is moving?.....I believe that my GPS antenna is not working and the GALA has issues.

Lee- Whe I followed your install I swapped the wires on the grey connecter behind the cluster and then did the swapping of pins on the radio side....but do I have to have all of the following connected: can-h, can-l, clk, data ???
because the way your write up shows it..I only need to swap the pins to change clk and data to canh and canl and that is it...no gala signal...no adding wires for data and clk to still be in the unit...Is this correct??

Thank you all so much for the help so far...I seem to be making progress...at least the pin was accepted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Come to find out Ted was correct in his assumption in that my harness did not have the gala signal wire from the symphonyI harness going to pin b3 (v-signal) wire.....I used a normal piece of wire and soldered it to the gala wire and pushed it in the b3 hole on the rns connecter and IT WORKED!!!!.
The pointer moves when the car moces now.....of course I still have the GPS antenna problem and the car is "driving off road"....fairly humerous actually watching the "car" drive through buildings and such....
So now I just need a new GPS antenna and the unit will know where the car is when I begin my route....then hopefully all will be fine!

Thanks again for all of the help and I'll keep you guys posted!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
One of us can send you a wire to connect your GALA wire between pin B3 and symphony connector I, pin 1. Just email me and I can send it out unless your solution seems permanent that is!

Since you swapped the wires, you only have CAN H and CAN L now. The CLK and DATA connections no longer exist for you. As you have found, the GALA wire is a completely different wire.

For anyone else reading this... this information is for Symphony I/Concert I radios ONLY. These were found in most cars before 2002.

·
Registered
996 Posts
This a prime example of why should check your wiring harness before the install. Both Lee and I can modify them for any Audi environment.... it will save you time and headache....down the road. ...and really make this an easy install.

For a basic install, its usually just a few connections. Just ship them out our way....and we'll fix them for ya.

:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well when I ordered the harness I was told that it would be for a A6 symphony I with bose tele and cd-changer....oh well....at least it's working now....for the most part...Can't wait to get that antenna and get this thing workin....

Anyone wanna make/sell me the following "repair wires"?:

The one for GALA on the SymphonyI side of the PNP harness TO GALA on RNS-E side of the PNP harness.

and these two from the lee's install instructions:

RNS-E pin C2 to Reverse wire ( have the wire tapped and behind the unit ...just need the wire to correctly connect to the unit)

RNS-E pin D14 to Large Brown Single Pin Connector ( I have it connected now but would like to do it the right way with the repair wires)

Thank you guys again for helping me figure this out....it's always something so simple but when you're so focused on finding the problem...you will over look it everytime until someone pionts it out to you... :wink: ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.