Audi Forum banner

Nav in DIS not working!!!!!

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Mütze 
#1 ·
What has happened to my directions in DIS???? I had the RNS-E installed by CraigyB who also added the bluetooth OEM kit. And what a fantastic job he done.
Thanks Craig.
It took a while for the directions to appear in DIS, but now they are gone again . . . . . . I've scrolled through using the DIS button but now the compass part/Nav doesn't appear only TRIP1, TRIP2 or blank . . .

Any ideas????

#3 ·
Yes it is the red DIS.

It works if I briefly turn the RNS-E off and then on or even go to the set up in the nav mode and de-select compass then select it again.
But then doesn't come on next time I switch the car on again.

Is there any coding changes that can be done to try to rectify this????

Thanks.

#4 ·
Unfortunately I don't think so - this appears to be a quirk of the RNS-E when used with the Red DIS.

In fact, I think that if you buy your Audi from the factory with RNS-E as a fitted option, it is not possible to have the Red DIS - you get a colour one as standard. :p

You'll find also that even if the compass and directions are displaying properly, if you press the 'check' button or, in my cabrio, try and activate the roof while driving (which generates a DIS message) you lose the Navigation on the DIS again and have to turn it on and off again.

The weird thing is that my old RNS-D used to work great in the DIS. :roll:

#5 ·
phil.tdi said:
It works if I briefly turn the RNS-E off and then on or even go to the set up in the nav mode and de-select compass then select it again.
But then doesn't come on next time I switch the car on again.

Is there any coding changes that can be done to try to rectify this????
This is a known bug in the red DIS - and since Audi don't sell the combination of red DIS and RNS-E they appear to have no intention of fixing it.

#10 ·
I was wondering about whether to construct some kind of device to look for voltage coming out of the CD changer power pin (which would go to 12v when the ignition is turned on) to click a relay to cycle power on the Navi unit (after a delay). Thus getting Nav info onto the DIS with no action necessary.

#11 ·
I actually think you can do it over the CAN bus, since that is how the RNSE is turned on by the ignition. The challenge is to find the proper events on the CAN bus to set this in motion. You probably wouldn't have to turn the power off, but rather send the appropriate CAN messages to the cluster or the RNSE. Just doing this at ignition on would also not be enough for some people, as I have read that other message to the DIS would disrupt the NAV displaying on the DIS.

That is why I was wondering if anybody in the Bay Area had the problem. If so, I might take a look at it when I complete my CANGate device. I don't have the problem in my C5 A6, so I can not look at it in my own car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.