Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I am not a software guy so this is not my area of expertise.

Why is it that no one has simply "hacked" the Nav software to change features etc? Since the Nav is basicaly a computer running a set of instructions.

For example: The Nag screen. Why can't we find a way to simply modify the code to get rid of it? Or simply change the text? Maybe it could say some thing like " WARNING, you are too sexy to drive this car!" :wink:

Seriously. People figured out how to get Euro versions to work in the US etc. So why no more hacks?

If it can be done.....what hacks would you like to see?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You can easily change some text, for example the warning text, if you keep it the same length. You may even be avle to find the location of the embedded graphics and change those after figuring out checksums and so on. But in order to change features you would need to decompile or disassemble the firmware which is present in loading.kwi. To do so you would no only need to have a decomipler but also some knowledge about the CPU and compiler used. It is no secret that the RNS-E is running QNX Neutrino as its OS. But that doesn't say anything about the specifics of the application that makes it the RNS-E with MMI interface.

I would be willing to donate some $$$ to the person who can decipher some secrets of the firmware. Besides the nasty disclaimer, getting information about default values for adaptation channels would be very valuable (these defaults are stored in the firmware as you can see when swapping firmware versions and checking channel values). The disclaimer doesn't bother me to much, but getting video in motion without breaking navigation would be worth at least $100 for me.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Same here about the nag screen. It doesn't bother me much but if we could get rid of it then great.

I'd also like to be able to put up a custom startup splash screen.

Be able to change around the colors scheme.

Scrolling X/M or Sirius ID Tags, so you can see the entire song name or artist. Not sure about if this one would be possible with hacking but it still would be nice.

Visualizations or Screen Savers on the SD card, would be cool.

Show pictures or small video on the SD card.

These are some that I just made up so, don't take them to seriously!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another great one would be to tell the unit to start playing an MP3 while it loads the rest of them. I hate gettin in my car and waitin over a minute before music starts playin.

Also, anyone know how to delete a saved destination? I accidentally saved one and couldnt seem to figure out how to delete it before I had to go.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Huh? My car starts to play pretty much instantly with the rare occasion where it make take 10 seconds or so while it has to re-read the SD card.

Of course I always leave my SD card in the RNS-E...if you take it out, then yea it's going to take a bit to read it.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
HX_Guy said:
Huh? My car starts to play pretty much instantly with the rare occasion where it make take 10 seconds or so while it has to re-read the SD card.

Of course I always leave my SD card in the RNS-E...if you take it out, then yea it's going to take a bit to read it.
With my 4GB cards it can take over a minute before it starts playing any music - with the cards left in.

The bigger the card - the longer the delay.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
don' t forget one of the biggest needed openings: playing all kind of DVD's in the DVD player instead of only the NAV DVD. Technically it shouldn't be a problem to play them (a DVD player = a DVD player), but it's only a software issue that it's not possible.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haaggie said:
don' t forget one of the biggest needed hacks: playing all kind of DVD's in the DVD player instead of only the NAV DVD. Technically it shouldn't be a problem to play them (a DVD player = a DVD player), but it's only a software issue that it's not possible.

:D That would be very cool and cost effective

·
Registered
31 Posts
Let's get serious then...everyone has great ideas, but ideas aren't gonna get it done, we gotta start working on it. As someone else already pointed out we need to decompile and disassemble the firmware. I've been doing some searching already, found a corvette forum where they mention using "Buffy's app to extract the binaries from loading.kwi", but I have been unable to find this or a similar app so far. If I understand correctly kiwi files are really nothing more than a glorified db so after extracting the binaries from it we can then use a decompiler like IDA Pro to start breaking into the source. I currently have a version of IDA Pro running on this box alongside vs.net (I also read various reports of references in the decompiles loading.kwi for the corvette nav to standard C code so perhaps we'll be lucky and find out the same is true for us). I'll start the checklist of things we need to aqcuire so we can start rolling.

- "Buffy's tool to extract the binaries of loading.kwi"
- Information about the processor used in the RNS-E (anyone brave enough to crack the case open?)
- Fool proof restoring method so that WHEN we get access to the sources we won't accidentally brick our RNS-E when developing hacked firmwares. :)

If we are lucky enough to find C/C++ code when we get the sources decompiled it should then be fairly trivial to add/change features to our navi's.

Please note I really don't know what I'm doing with the decompiler, it appears to be pretty powerful and looks like it should work, but if we have some members on here familiar with this type of work please drop me a line.

-SixOneS4

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
This should be the CPU:

And I don't think that loading.kwi is a real kwi data file. Looking at alldata.kwi and loading.kwi, the headers of both fiels are quite different. I would guess that loading.kwi just has a kwi extension but it's more like a .bin file that the RNS-E BIOS looks out for to perform an update.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've decompiled firmwares of Mp3 players before but if you guys can actually decompile it given there's no encryption on it

i assume there would be

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Two more:

Top of main board

And the bottom view:

·
Registered
209 Posts
PetrolDave said:
With my 4GB cards it can take over a minute before it starts playing any music - with the cards left in.

The bigger the card - the longer the delay.
Hmm...maybe it depends on the type of card as well...not just the size? Also could depend on if you're using one or two SD cards.

I use one 2GB Sandisk Ultra II card and like I said, it's instant.

·
Registered
84 Posts
SixOneS4 said:
- "Buffy's tool to extract the binaries of loading.kwi"
Some good pieces of information in this thread:
http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1268

You can find some information on the format of LOADING.KWI here. Seems it should be trivial to just rewrite "Buffy's tool":
http://kiwi-w.mapmaster.co.jp/format_english/pdf/3000122e.pdf

This project may provide a good starting point:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kiwi-navi

IIRC, there were two different code files on the DVD (another one besides LOADING.KWI).

By the way, you're most likely going to need the 64-bit version of IDA Pro, since the processor in this box is speculated to be a PowerPC 623e.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I've used babelfish to translate this site but a lot of it comes back with errors. Is there another way I can download all of this site and translate it in english?

http://de.openobd.org/index.htm

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
todd1010 said:
I've used babelfish to translate this site but a lot of it comes back with errors. Is there another way I can download all of this site and translate it in english?

http://de.openobd.org/index.htm
Kind of off topic in this discussion but what do you want to know? And did you check http://en.openobd.org/, that's the English copy but has much less information.

·
Registered
737 Posts
well I thought that there were some mentioning of some different channels but I was wrong.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have done some web searching. I have found that there are other cars out there that people have created "hacks" for. Not sure if they use the same software or not. But it might be a place for some of you experts to look.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts