Audi Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From my tech article:

If you are planning a Nav+ installation, chances are, your Audi does not have an OEM GPS antenna. Therefore you need to add one. You can purchase one from the dealer, and spend a lot of money for an OEM part, or you can purchase an aftermarket version that will work exactly the same. It all depends on whether or not you want your GPS antenna to be visible or invisible from the outside of your car.

GPS Antenna Facts (thanks to Lee Levitt):
Most GPS remote antennas come with long, (sometimes up to 20') coax cable leads. These should never be coiled, as this can cause signal loss and create an RF loop in the signals as well. I have a 3 meter cable that is coiled up in my dash area..and I've never had any issues. I typically average 5-7 satellites (max is 8).

Sources for GPS antennas:
(For the Nav+, make sure the power consumption is between 4-11mA, the gain is 27-33 dBi and the connector is a SMB male connector. If you mount this in your dash then you want a shorter length cable.)

• http://www.navsphere.com/smb-m.htm
• www.gpsaccessories.com (I ordered the SMB version with a 3 meter cable for mounting it inside the dash)
• www.midwestelectronics.com
• http://www.gpsgeek.com/page3.html
• OEM Avant roof-mounted (Audi part# 8L0 035 501B. FYI the antenna rod is Audi part#: 8D9 035 849) FYI – this particular antenna supports GPS, AM/FM, and a cellular phone.
• OEM “Sharkfin†style (Audi part# N/A). I don’t have any experience with these OEM antennas, but I do believe that these versions include AM/FM, cellular phone, GPS and XM functionality.

I hope this was useful.

-ted

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is some more useful information for anyone that may/maynot have a defective GPS antenna.....

Special thanks to Shane Price in Akron, OH for figuring this out. Shane was receiving 8 satellites ...and then all of a sudden, he started to receive "0".

Solution:

1) To calibrate the GPS antenna simply drive in a circle 5-8 times. This usually helps the antenna to "reset" it's location.

or

2) if/when you install a new GPS antenna (because your original antenna is perceived to be faulty/defective), you will need to disconnect all power to the Nav+ head unit (make sure you have the 4 digit security code) and reconnect. According to Shane, this corrected the problem.

Hope this was useful. Thanks Shane!

·
Registered
1 Posts
0 satellites of 32

Hi all,

just 2 weeks ago I began to experience the zero satellite problem.
Checked cable for continuity, no problems there.
Have powered down Navi head, in fact later the whole car (and shorted the *disconnected* + and - poles to release any capacitance)
Still no joy. I can mini-navigate by manually setting my current location, but after a few kilometers it's lost its way again and I'm at sea with an amphibious A6.

I have not yet tried the 'drive in circles' trick yet, but will report back if that proves any success.

Cormac

1 - 3 of 3 Posts