Audi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2.0T A4 (I love every mile of it!) but the dealer did not have the nav package and I did not want to wait months for the order. So, I am looking to buy and install it myself.

It seems to me that my NAV+ should be the same as the 2004 A6 NAV+ (at least looking at the pictures) - it has the controls on the right, DVD and 2 SD slots.

Does anyone have more information on that - part numbers, web sites, installation insights, etc?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Well, it's the other way around, we are using the B7 part in our B6 :wink:

Read this message for basics about how to retrofit the RNS-E: Audi Navigation Plus :: RETROFIT BASICS, the search is also your friend to find part numbers and specific answers.

I suppose you have today a Symphony II with Bose and either XM or Sirius. This is what you can expect:
- You will need the RNS-E, part number 8E0 035 192E (for the US unit, $2900, Clair Parts) or 8E0 035 192C (for the EU unit, ~$1600 ebay.de).
- You will also need to get the Navigation DVD ($200-$400)
- You will also need an adapter set which runs about ~$200-250 including GPS antenna (various sources).
- Since you have a B7, you may not need a new sat receiver, check the part number, if it's a "D" or "E" unit you can keep it, otherwise you will need a new one ($450, Clair Parts). Sat radio does not work with the EU unit.
- In case you want a CD-changer, you will need the changer, harness and a new glovebox (~$700, Clair Parts)
- Finally, access to radio removal tools ($15, ebay.com) and a VAG-COM (ross-tech.com) to configure the unit.

If you are lucky you can sell you sat enabled Symphony II or the sat receiver on ebay to get some $$$ back, but still, you are facing much more than the $1900 option price on a new B7.

If you are still reading I would recommend to browse through this forum and read the sticky messages at the top of each section. They include all the links you need. Once you have all the parts you can install everything in less than an hour. I wouldn't try to ask your dealer for assistance, unless you know him very well and he's willing to leave the official AoA path.

Have fun!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a regular Symphony:(

Thanks for the quick reply. Now it seems clearer what I need to do. The only thing I was unable to find was if the A6 and A4 units are the same. The reason I am asking is that I have found a really good price for the A6 unit...

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The A4 and A6 units have different faceplates. It won't look perfect if you start modifying the faceplate and I would strongly recommend to not follow this route. Electrically you can use the A6 unit in an A4 B6/B7 but not the other way around.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Question?

Why would he need any adapters if he already has a B7?

Shouldn't he just be able to do a straight swap with the exisiting Audi Stereo.

That is to say the wiring harness in a B7 A4 should work with either the Audi installed Stereo or the RNS-E.

If you can order it as an option (probaly port installed) then everything you need ought to be in the car to install it.

I have a B6 A4 but I had a B7 I would look into it before buying things you may not need.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Roch_Ultrasport said:
Question?

Why would he need any adapters if he already has a B7?

Shouldn't he just be able to do a straight swap with the exisiting Audi Stereo.

That is to say the wiring harness in a B7 A4 should work with either the Audi installed Stereo or the RNS-E.

If you can order it as an option (probaly port installed) then everything you need ought to be in the car to install it.

I have a B6 A4 but I had a B7 I would look into it before buying things you may not need.
The RNS-E doesn't have the same connectors as any Audi radio (Symphony, Chorus, ...) - so you need plug & play adapters to convert the connectors fitted to the car wiring to the connectors fitted to the RNS-E. Even the antenna connectors are different.

It's an OPTION (and NOT a port option) -they build the car differently on the production line if you order the RNS-E option.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's an OPTION (and NOT a port option) -they build the car differently on the production line if you order the RNS-E option.[/quote said:
Well that is one of the most bone headed things I've ever heard. I can understand (to a degree) having to retro fit a RNS-E into previous model years.

But from what your saying anyone who buys a MY05.5 A3/4/6/8 and does not get the RNS-E facotry installed has to go through the same process as some one with an older Audi.

Meaning also that the dealership couldn't even install one.

Two seperate lines at the factory (two seperate wiring harnesses) for a navigation aid/music component.

What a rip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, the dealer told me they could not install it....

I am not quite sure if I have to trust him but that was what he said.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts