Audi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the magnet on the back of the antenna used for mounting? will this interfere with signal in any way or just slap on to any piece of metal?

Will mounting it behind the glovebox work for signal?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
JCRS4 said:
Is the magnet on the back of the antenna used for mounting? will this interfere with signal in any way or just slap on to any piece of metal?

I originally had my GPS antenna on the flat part of the glovebox, and the signal was useless 3-4 satellites only on a good day. The GPS antenna has to be high up and with glass above it - I moved mine to the underside of the dashboard (just forward of the airbag) and now I get 7-9 satellites.

If there were a suitable piece of ferrous metal there you could use the magnet, but on the B6/B7 there isn't so you'll need to use double sided tape.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
much appreciated...now I will do that BEFORE i put my glove box back in.

Any one reading this post know what the max size SD card I can use is? The manual only list up to 256M...

·
Registered
74 Posts
JCRS4 said:

Thanks
Don't know about glove box, but I put mine behind the instrument cluster & it has worked out great. It's even a magnetic surface for the antenna to attach to.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks...seems that is what most people do. I am not sure if it as easy to get to on the cabriolet...it has a different instrument cluster.

anyone know the max size SD card supported?

·
Registered
74 Posts
JCRS4 said:
thanks...seems that is what most people do. I am not sure if it as easy to get to on the cabriolet...it has a different instrument cluster.

Based on the pics I've seen it looks like the sedan cluster removal method would work too i.e. 1 cover + 2 screws + wiggle cluster out. Can anybody confirm?

As for SD cards, I don't think there's a size limit. The real limit is the # of files/folders on the card. I think it's 512.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah that makes sense...folder limit is 256 and file liimit is 400.

I didn't see the 2 screws at first glance...I will give a shot and post back.
thanks

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
JCRS4 said:
Several of us use 4GB SD cards with no problems.

JCRS4 said:
Ah that makes sense...folder limit is 256 and file limit is 400.
Actually that's NOT correct. The limit is 512 files PLUS folders.

That means that unless you rip at a high bitrate you reach the 512 file (plus folder) limit before you fill a 4GB card. So some people don't bother with SD cards bigger than 2GB. I rip at 192kbps so I almost fill my 4GB cards before I reach the 512 file (plus folder) limit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the answers on the SD card...

I was only quoting the manual I received with my unit when I said file limit was 400 and folder limit was 256...maybe I have an older manual?

Anyway thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the link but it is not the same on the Cabriolet, there is no piece to remove to get to the 2 screws.

I ended up stuffing it all the way up just under the dash...was pretty easy with the whole glove box out.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The entire trim comes off the front on the cabriolet cluster. It pops out from the bottom first, then pull down to disengage from the tabs near the top. You then have access to the two T25 torx bolts on the bottom.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts