Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Nice forum You got, been browsing a lot - meaning days at work are flying and the pile of works is growing. Something big is going on then..:)

Few facts:

My new A4 is on its way here. Should be in my possession and under control (!) early June. Comes with manual transmission, 125kW Diesel Quattro. I did not bought it with the MFSW, as it was too expensive for such a feature, I thought. There is the new 2DIN radio, Concert II+ or III, whatever. I've done some modding before, FIS and cruise to some A4 B6s and some smaller projects.

In my new car, I would like to upgrade my systems a bit, and considering doing that with RNS-E, Bluetooth and MFSW. And then the additional features, like PC, TV, DVD-player, cd-changer, reverse camera and whatever may come.

I've already bought the RNS-E, part number: 8E0 035 192 Q, HW H73, SW: 610. And an EU item. It lies on my table, and I've tested the box without car, and it works as far as it should work. It says something about the SDS in the engineering mode, but the "extra item" is not available in the volume menu. So maybe not SDS then, but thats ok I guess.

Concert II+ and RNS-E, I'm not still getting it completely. I have to do some modifications to the plug and play cables, to get it work like it should? It works, but it will be not connected to the cars system itself?

The Bluetooth that i'm going to most likely buy, is 8P0 862 335 C. The phone that I'm going to use is N95 (should be in my pocket before the car). RNS-E says now that telephone is not connected, which is of course true. If I buy the Bluetooth box now, and test it without the car, will it work somehow? Also, C is kinda old version, but there has not been any more specific "feature list" about the revisions, so it'll work or it will not. I'm dreaming about browsing the phones address book, and then just hit "call", and start flaming. Also in a case of incoming call, a callers ID (name fetched from the phone book) shown in the FIS would be just pure science fiction!

As I understood, the Bluetooh module itself has some voice dialing? But when SDS was for the whole RNS-E system, this is only for the telephone? Can I test these without the car, if I get the BT and RNS E connected (physically)?

MFSW seems now to me that it wouldn't need a new steering wheel control unit, but perhaps some recoding.

About the CD-changer and other stuff, in my old car I had JVC's MP3 changer with JVC's player. I saw some guy selling the same box with some cable to be fitted into the RNS-E. Are these cables for branded cd changers generally availble? Like "buy the cable here and the magazine from Your local supermarket" or so on? Or Should I just go to Phatbox or similar? I did not change the CD's in the magazine in the past year anyways, so maybe phatbox or similar would keep my collection more dynamic.

Phatbox could be replaced by a PC also, and all the DVD, TV, reverse camera and the mp3 playout could come from there. PC must be controlled crom the CAN-bus, but there are some solutions for that. VGA->RGB-connection elimintates the need for dietz or similar adapter, am I right? WAs it PROXUS who had the project but then he abandon it?

Well, this is what I'm dreaming about. Some questions and lot of messy thoughts. And the time that goes so slow..

·
Registered
479 Posts
Phew....

Can't answer much, but I have read here that Nokia Simbian phones DO NOT work with the Audi Bluetooth :!: :!: :!:

Also I would get the latest Bluetooth box H or M if in Europe or you want English Accent, otherwise you may not be able to access your phones Phonebook, assuming you use a phone other than a Nokia.

I have a Sony CD changer and I bought the Connect2 Audi Interface, which means I can control everything from the RNS-E, but it has the ISO connectors and your Concert 3 hasn't, it's got a Quadlock like the RNS-E so you would need to mod an ISO one unless Connect2 now produce a newer version.

The MFSW is a real plus for phone operation, I would strongly advise you to get one with it, change your order if it's not too late, but that's just my feelings.

Thers lots of post re CarPC & VIM & Rear Camera, so just look at all those posts to get a feel for what the current state of play is.

Hope that helps.

I see you say the software is version 610 ??? are you sure the most rescent is v550 or alledgedly v600 with a brand new factry fitted unit. If you have v610 - I and probably everybody else on here would like to see it like yesturday !

Dave.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave.G6HNI said:
I see you say the software is version 610 ??? are you sure the most rescent is v550 or alledgedly v600 with a brand new factry fitted unit. If you have v610 - I and probably everybody else on here would like to see it like yesturday !

Dave.
Cheers! And a quickie here: how do You want to see it? Finnair flies nino-stop from JFK to Helsinki daily..;). I mean, are there any specific features to check out? This unit has been in a car but it is new, manufactured in February, but obviously updated after that. The seller asked me wether I wanted the S4 or RS4 logo in the beginning. A4 wasn't available, so I went with S4. My unit should be also VIM enabled.

Gotta browse more about that cable issue, seems that there is lots of modifications to come. Well, lot and lot but more than a plug and play.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Ah may be that version relates to the US and not Europe possibly ?

I was just hoping for some bug fixes, like when you are playing from the SD cards in Radom or MIX mode, if you skip a trak it drops out of random play back into sequential play whic is just a bit annoying ! This does not happen with the CD which stays in random mode no matter what you do.

Dave, Europe / England / London (near)

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Dave.G6HNI said:
Phew....

Can't answer much, but I have read here that Nokia Simbian phones DO NOT work with the Audi Bluetooth :!: :!: :!:
Second that advice.

Symbian, especially S60, and most car kits just do not work together properly.

I used to have an N70 but the Bluetooth connection would drop and re-connect at random, and the phonebook and call lists were never transferred to the car kit. So I threw the N70 in the bin (after over 10 years of owning Nokia phones and being an ex-Nokia employee they would not even admit that the problem was with Symbian despite all the posting on the web and on the Nokia forum that the only common link was the Nokia phones) and now use a Sony Ericsson K610i with 100% success.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave.G6HNI said:
Ah may be that version relates to the US and not Europe possibly ?

I was just hoping for some bug fixes, like when you are playing from the SD cards in Radom or MIX mode, if you skip a trak it drops out of random play back into sequential play whic is just a bit annoying ! This does not happen with the CD which stays in random mode no matter what you do.

Dave, Europe / England / London (near)
I can confirm that the bug mentioned above exist in my unit too, even the testing felt very annoying. I bought the box from G-Germans, so it should be EU I assume.

Sorry bout the location, I just typed without noticing anything around me or anything! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts