Audi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I noticed yesterday that my DVD was being mis-interpreted as a "software update CD/DVD 0110". I tried making a new DVD and unfortunately it does the same thing. The original DVD had been working fine for months. As you may remember I did install the TV tuner last week and I know the NAV DVD worked after that install because I tested it with my video in motion switch.

The drive does read Audio CDs fine.
The drive does not throw a fault code in VAG.

Any ideas what's going on with this? I have tried a system reset and everything else I know how to try. Is it possible that the DVD portion of the laser eye just died and therefore it thinks everything is a CD? Isn't the CD and DVD laser the same part inside the unit?

Any ideas would be welcomed.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Your laser lost calibration (it happend sometimes due to impact or temperature) You not going to see any errors but your DVD will stop working. CD tracks are not that precise like DVD, so CDs will be fine.

I am almost sure, if you load original DVD maps it will work. Mostly because it is factory pressed, so DVD track is better and easier to read even by uncalibrated laser. DVD copy is never burned that well.

You should be able to find good electronic shop to calibrate it back.
If you can't, you can always pick up OEM maps from ebay for $25 (1a version is as good as 2A, there is no changes in map data anyway, just firmware)

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had the same problem with my backup DVD so i put my original back in and it worked.
One day i had a thought to try a DVD lens cleaning disk so i tried it and it worked like a dream with my backup DVD again, so you might want to try a lens cleaner it worked for me

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had that exact same problem a few days ago.

unable to read dvd's , audio cd's worked fine.
my backup dvd was recognised as the update software dvd, but not the navi dvd. Later it was unreadable, incorrectly inserted bla bla bla.

It was +30°C out here.

popped in a cleaning cd, everything works fine after. no more troubles

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

Tried an original DVD, no luck.

Tried two different lens cleaners, no luck.

Anyone have a RNS-E with a busted screen or something that I can salvage the DVD drive from?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts