Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a RNS-E fitted in my car which was replaced by the Symphony II which I had. I installed it using the simple plug and play cables which was a case of removing the Symphony II and plugin the RNS-E using the Plug n Play leads.

I am now in the process of adding an DVD Player using a Multimedia Adaptor, the question I have is would I have to change the Plug and Play leads or would I be able to just add the Multimedia adaptor to the excisting Plug and Play leads?

Hope I am making sense in the above.

Regards

·
Registered
172 Posts
The multimedia adaptor, which plugs right into the rear of the RNS-E also has a few loose wires that have to be connected. Power and ground can be run to the fuse panel or tapped into the power and ground of the RNS-E. You will also have to tap into the CAN-HI and CAN-LOW wires. You can use in-line wire taps, which work just fine but add some bulk to the harness. Just remember to twist the CAN-HI and CAN-LOW wires or you might lose video signal intermittently.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boston Driver said:
The multimedia adaptor, which plugs right into the rear of the RNS-E also has a few loose wires that have to be connected. Power and ground can be run to the fuse panel or tapped into the power and ground of the RNS-E. You will also have to tap into the CAN-HI and CAN-LOW wires. You can use in-line wire taps, which work just fine but add some bulk to the harness. Just remember to twist the CAN-HI and CAN-LOW wires or you might lose video signal intermittently.
The "CAN-HI" and the "CAN-LOW" is where I am getting confussed, sorry but I'm not too literate in this field and have searched this forum but had no joy.

Regards

·
Registered
172 Posts
check out this link about CAN BUS: http://www.yamar.com/DCAN250.html

Basically, they are just wires that send information to the car. That is all. Not sure which car you have, but in 2002, teh A6 used CAN BUS for steering wheel volume controls, tiptronic controls, etc. Basically, the car's "network." Two wires go from the car harnesses to the RNS-E, one for "high" and one for "low" (think of it as +/- although they are not +/-).

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
But if you pick up the CAN connections from anywhere other than behind the RNS-E, make sure you get the Infotainment CAN (there's actually several different CAN busses in a B6 - and most Audis - and you definitely don't want to go connecting to the Powertrain CAN!

·
Registered
172 Posts
PetrolDave said:
But if you pick up the CAN connections from anywhere other than behind the RNS-E, make sure you get the Infotainment CAN (there's actually several different CAN busses in a B6 - and most Audis - and you definitely don't want to go connecting to the Powertrain CAN!
I wonder if it would make movies play faster when you speed up? j/k :lol:

Good point. Hopefully, he will just tap into the wires in the harness...Simplest solution.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL - This is why I love this forum, such good feedback!!

OK, I have managed to find the relevent stuff, all I need now is a dummy guide to install a DVD PLayer to my RNS-E using the following Adaptor:

Any help would be appreciated.

Ps. I have been told I will get some install instructions, but I have known these to be not the easiest to follow

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Shouldn't be that hard. red is likely 12V+, black is ground, and then either yellow is CAN high and blue CAN low or vice versa. Connect yellow to CAN high and see if the TV option is available in the RNS-E CD/MP3 menu. If it isn't connect blue to CAN high and yellow to CAN low and see what happens.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
Shouldn't be that hard. red is likely 12V+, black is ground, and then either yellow is CAN high and blue CAN low or vice versa. Connect yellow to CAN high and see if the TV option is available in the RNS-E CD/MP3 menu. If it isn't connect blue to CAN high and yellow to CAN low and see what happens.
Sorry to sound stupid, but when you say connect to the Can Low / High, can I do this without having to cut any cables? ie. Connect it into the back of the Plug & Play adaptors that I used when I installed the RNS-E in place for the Symphony II?

Also can the 12v+ be connected to the back of the RNS-E or would you reccomend the Glove Box Light?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Okay, if this is the adaptor you are using, simple.

The Grey block plugs into the rear of the RNS-E.
The RCA plugs accept the video cables from your DVD player:
-Yellow is for Video
-Red is for Audio Right
-White is for Audio Left
The Red loose wire is for Power (should be constant, not switched)
The Black loose wire is for Ground
The Yellow is probably CAN-High
The Blue is probably CAN-Low
(Note-the CAN wires are twisted, which is how they should be for connections)

You can use the picture of the pins connections in the RNS-E for reference:

http://www.navplus.us/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=152

Look at the big block on your RNS-E adaptor, and use the fuse position as a reference point to know if you are looking at the right block. Connector D has all the connections you need.

D9 = CAN High
D10 = CAN Low
D13 = Power
D14 = Ground

I used D16 for powering the BT module and the multimedia adaptor, but I made a custom harness. The "plug-n-play" adaptors that are sold do not have a pin or wire for D16. You could easily add a power wire there by doing the following:

Buy a female pin (part number N-906-844-05) pictured below, and crimp a wire to the pin. On the other end, crimp a female wire connector so you can plug and unplug the power wire for the multimedia adaptor as needed. I used "bullet" style connectors for that type of application (single wires like for reverse and GALA speed signal).

Here is the pin that can fit into D16:

You have to slide the purple pin lock clip out of the connector block as shown here (but only the one that holds in the pins in Connector D to the left in this picture, and you can see that D16 is empty in this picture):

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
D16 is not switched 12V+, it's permanent isn't it? I thought D13 is the only switched power on the RNS-E. But I might be wrong.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's great, I dont think I could have asked for a more detailed explanation. I will most likely give it a go installing it myself. So the power for the Interface should be gained via the RNS-E which is answered above.

How would you suggest getting the power for the DVD Player (I may even end up using a PS2 Slimline)? Can I still use the RNS-E for the power?

·
Registered
172 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
D16 is not switched 12V+, it's permanent isn't it? I thought D13 is the only switched power on the RNS-E. But I might be wrong.
I think you are right, but I was under the impression from the post below that the power to Pin 1 of the BT module was "always on" so I figured that the D16 spot would be okay for power instead of running all the way to the fuse box. I was going to run the devices from the D13 pin (since I was making custom wiring anyway), but the wire was so thick and I could not crimp multiple wires to that female pin. I suppose the constant power is not a bad thing if I stop the car...I can keep talking handsfree with the car off (as long as I have not pulled the key out of the ignition yet).

Here is the post that I read that miplied the "constant" power source was needed:
http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4178&highlight=bluetooth+connections

Oh, and the MM adaptor wired to the same D16 pin does not draw enough power to be an issue.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I guess you got me confused because you were talking about using switched power for the AV adapter and then connecting it to D16. Most of us have the BT interface connected to battery power, in my car - since I upgrade from Telematics - this was already wired that way.

On the same note, if I add a device that draws 5mA constant power, will that kill my battery or should I be fine?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
D16 is constant power and can easily be used for the BT module and another device that is around 1 AMP or less.

However, I would never use D13 to power anything. D13 in theory is a switched power source, but it is just meant to be a very small current "power on" signal to the amp (it is not the main power supply to the amp). I would not trust using this to power any device. If you need a switched power source then attach the device directly to the power connection station terminal 75X or directly to a proper spot in the fusebox. An inline fuse should be used in either case to ensure protection of your device.

·
Registered
172 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
On the same note, if I add a device that draws 5mA constant power, will that kill my battery or should I be fine?
I think you should be okay, as a car will normally draw 25mA when off. Drain on the battery can be checked with an ammeter. Make sure ignition is off, disconnect one of the battery cables. Connect one ammeter lead to the battery and the other to the cable. Should read about 25 mA or less. Anything higher than 100, and you have a serious drain that WILL kill the battery!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Multi Media adapter I have shown, does it have a Remote COntrol input so the basic features of the DVD player can be controled via my RNS-E?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Malcolm-X said:
The Multi Media adapter I have shown, does it have a Remote COntrol input so the basic features of the DVD player can be controled via my RNS-E?
No, it apears to only have the inputs for vidoe and audio. Look at the adaptor in this post about someone installing Proxus' muiltimedia kit here: http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3676&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

The coiled up black wire in one of the pictures that has a 1/4" plug is the remote wire.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Boston Driver said:
No, it apears to only have the inputs for vidoe and audio. Look at the adaptor in this post about someone installing Proxus' muiltimedia kit here: http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3676&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

The coiled up black wire in one of the pictures that has a 1/4" plug is the remote wire.
I see, I am assuming Proxus has his modified to do that then.

I was after just the Multimedia interface which has a Remote Input any ideas where I can get one on its own rather than a full dvd package?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts