Audi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently retrofitted RNS-E to 2004 A4 Avant. Rather than fit glovebox CDC thought I'd try and save space and money by using Panasonic 8 disc DVD changer that I was to fitting to drive kids' rear screens.
This works fine, RNS-E recognises and plays audio discs in slots 1-6, but doesn't show 7 & 8. Disc 7 being shown as the RNS-E navi disc location.

Anybody know of a way to configure RNS-E so that it will recognise all 8 slots of the changer ?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Any VAG head unit does only support 6 CDs in a changer. This is the reason why the iPod adapters or similar "CD emulators" can only support up to 6 playlists. You may be able to use the 7th/8th CD by selecting Next CD when the 6th/7th CD is the currently selected CD but there is no direct access to CD 7 or CD 8.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,
I'm curious how you were able to interface the Panasonic changer to the RNS-E. Do you have the model number of the changer?
Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Panasonic CX-DH801N. Cost 200GBP.
I picked up a Panasonic/Audi CD changer cable from e-bay, 22GBP. No link, but description was:

Hi-Fi Links - Audio Cabling & Accessories
Brand new, unused, adapter cable for connecting Panasonic CD Changers to VW / Audi / Seat OEM fitted head-units.
The adapter cable connects directly to the rear of the head-unit via the blue mini-Iso connector, and to the main CD changer cable(s) via the other connector(s) – simplicity itself !!

I also got the adapter cable that splits out the 20 pin connector into the green & yellow Iso connectors from the same place, 15GBP.

RNS-E recognises and controls the changer OK, functions just as a normal CD changer apart from discs 7 & 8. These will play OK using changer remote control, and Next track/Last track buttons.

DVDs play OK in position 1-8 (Video out to separate screen) and video sound also plays through RNS-E, so goes quiet when Navi instructions are spoken etc..., balance, bass etc controlled by RNS-E.

Only down side was it was too big for the CD changer slot in the glove box, so I mounted it underneath there, and had to hack some of the back of the glove box away to let it poke through.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts