Audi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to buy a monocromatic navi plus unit. I am wondering if anyone has any information on these units. It is similar to the new unit that is available in the new TT but it was a european option in a A4.

My questions are: is there software available for this unit to flash so that it works in the US?
Does this unit use the same map DVD that the RNS-E uses and if not are the DVD's available for this unit for the US?
Does this unit use the same adapter cabels that the RNS-E uses?
Is there anyone that does the software flashes and would be willing to take a look at this unit?

Rlease refrain from telling me to just buy a RNS-E. I already did once and did not like it in my car so I sold it. I am not a fan of the bright map screen and like the look of the red in my car. I am looking for somehting basic and not extreme in my car.

Here is a link to the unit that I am looking at: http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/reports.Par.0079.File.pdf

any help is greatly appreciated before I spend money on something that I might not be abel to get working in the US! Thanks!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You are talking about the BNS 5.0 which is a Blaupunkt unit using Teleatlas map CDs (not DVDs). Nobody has tried yet to use US map CDs from the older BNS 4 or RNS-D, nor is there software for the BNS 5.0 for use in the US. I have used the BNS 5.0 a couple of times driving through Germany and didn't like it at all. It was slow, very slow in calculating a route and it took about 5 times as long to enter a route.

If you get one for free (or almost free) it might be an interesting project though. Otherwise it makes more sense to get a US BNS 4 for DIS only navigation and spend the remaining money on upgrading the head unit to a Symphony II+ or so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats good info to know, thanks for the quick reply. The asking price is 650 for the unit that I am looking for which seems like quite a rip off. I didnt know that the unit was really slow. Seems for a few hundred more I could just get a decent used RNS-E and just suck up having the bright map display in the car.

Can you even buy a BNS 4 and retrofit it into a car (2002 A4 3.0 is mine) that didnt come without a nav system in the first place? I would assume it would be as simple as buying the cd drive for the trunk, antenna, console controls, wires, and vag-ing the car when completed. That might be a route that I am interested in considering, but I doubt those are even out there to buy...

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Kufatec sells a wiring harness to retrofit the BNS 4 navigation, I'm sure Europarts.us could get one for you in the US. You would need to ask around to find someone who wants to sell his BNS 4 but it shouldn't be that hard to find someone that is willing to part with his BNS after getting an RNS-E. You have to take half you car apart though, with the navigation unit in the trunk, the controls in the center console and the harness somewhere in between, I would guess it's a half day job, at least. There is a reason why the RNS-E is so popular, because it's so easy to install, nicely integrated into the car and its features justify the $1k-$1.5k expense. There is always the option to turn off the display if you really can't stand it anymore. I wouldn't though...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts