Audi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the solution to this navigation problem? I have a 2006 A6 Avant. After an hour or so of operation of the Nav, the MMI displays "Please Check Nav DVD". After removing, cleaning and reinserting the DVD, the Nav will return to normal operation only to fail again after a period of operation. Also, if the Audi is turn off over night, the Nav will operate fine when started only to error out again after about an hour of operation. When this error message is displayed on the MMI screen, the NAV information continues to display properly on the driver information display (between the tac and speedo).

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Is the DVD an original or a copy?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Sounds like the DVD drive is unable to read correctly when it warms up.

Is the cooling fan on the back of your RNS-E working?

If it is then I would suspect that the DVD drive in your RNS-E might need replacing.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
PetrolDave said:
Sounds like the DVD drive is unable to read correctly when it warms up.

Is the cooling fan on the back of your RNS-E working?

If it is then I would suspect that the DVD drive in your RNS-E might need replacing.

As it is an A6 MMI, the nav unit is in the boot, looks like the glovebox CD drive, but is labelled DVD Navigation.

It could be the same thing, it certainly sound heat related. My A8 reads the copy disks perfectly over long periods of time.

Just get the unit swapped under warranty.

Craig

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Since we're discussing a new C6 A6, I suggest that you stop spending your own time solving this problem and take it to the dealership to have it diagnosed, and any parts replaced as necessary under warranty.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
What I said.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does the NAV unit contain its own internal cooling fan or is there an external fan?

Thanks for all your suggestions but my Nav unit is owner installed, as my Audi was delivered without Nav. Audi of America has retrofit instructions and an installation kit for its dealers and stupid folks like me that did not order Nav with their Audi. I purchased the kit and Nav unit from the dealer. I want to determine with some degree of confidence which Nav component is causing the problem before I approach the dealer about a warranty problem.

I also agree that the symptoms indicate a heat problem. I assume that the RNS-E is the DVD Nav unit that is installed in the left side of the Avant’s cargo area.

Also, to eliminate the DVD as the problem I’m returning it to NAVTEQ to have it checked. As of now, I have not found anyone with a similar problem. Checking with the technicians at my dealer also indicates this is a unique problem. Thanks for the help so far and any additional information is greatly appreciated.

Pogo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.