Audi Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The MMI is a multi component, fully integrated entertainment/navigation system that talks to the car via MOST ring while the RNS-E is an all-in-one radio/navigation system that talks to the via CAN and discrete wires.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Correct, RNS-E DVD have a part number starting with 8P0, MMI DVDs start with 4E0.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok i believe that but i have a rnse and when it,s start there is a screen with mmi on it

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Because it is an RNS-E with MMI technology, covered many many times on this forum

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
xallias said:
ok i believe that but i have a rnse and when it,s start there is a screen with mmi on it
Oh no - not this question again!!!

I swear if I meet the guy at Audi who decided to make the RNS-E show MMI on it's startup screen I will kill him - slowly and painfully. It has caused such great confusion amongst Audi owners.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PetrolDave said:
xallias said:
Oh no - not this question again!!!

I swear if I meet the guy at Audi who decided to make the RNS-E show MMI on it's startup screen I will kill him - slowly and painfully. It has caused such great confusion amongst Audi owners.
sorry don`t worry be happy i maybe asked stupid questions but the reasons are good thnx for repleying

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
xallias said:
sorry don`t worry be happy i maybe asked stupid questions but the reasons are good thnx for repleying
You and so many others have asked this question here and on many Audi forums that it's clear that Audi making the RNS-E show "MMI" on it's startup screen has caused enormous confusion.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
well MMI is a name for communication system and RNS-E software is based in 90% on that system.
For some reason Audi dropped the idea of car maintenance processing on RNS-E so we under CAR we have only SW/HW version insread of battery level or service intervals etc.

A8 and Q7 system is called MMI and it is pretty much the same system with 2 major differencies.
- it is not compact box but separate components (screen is separate from the unit brain)
- it is expanded with car diagnostic data from external components

Audi will mostlikely discontinue RNS-E systems as soon as last B7 platform car will be sold and they will move to B8 with built in MMI system.
It could happen as fast as end of 2009.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Does the MMI have the option to show the upcoming three turns like the RNS-E had or is this no longer available?
Cheers
AJAX

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
PROXUS said:
Audi will mostlikely discontinue RNS-E systems as soon as last B7 platform car will be sold and they will move to B8 with built in MMI system.
It could happen as fast as end of 2009.
The RNS-E will still be available in the A3, TT, R8, Lambo and likely the upcoming A1.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.