Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm planning on buying a 2010 A4 with the 3G MMI navigation system. However, I'll be moving back to EU after two years taking the car with me, and I'm a little worried that the dealers back home will tell me the navigation system will not work with the EU maps or something similar.

I've been searching this (and other) forum for information on if the 3G MMI navigation system in US is compatibe (or convertable) to EU. Any insight anyone have is highly appreciated, since I still have time to change my order so that I leave the navigation system out.

Thanks....

·
Registered
22 Posts
2nd that over here!!!

We have many A4's Q5's and other assorted models all 2010 that are sold here in Europe only to DOD military card holders.

My job is to figure out how to:

Get the Correct Europe Navtech 3rd Gen MMI GPS DVD disc,

update the firmware so that it works on a US Spec Q5 (etc)

Load it on the HD of the new cars here (in Germany but all are US Spec)

Any help in the right direction would a very big help!

·
Registered
22 Posts
just checked a new 2010 Q5

the info on the MMI display version number was:

MMI Front Display: HNAV_US-P0110_D1

Nav database version: 8R0060884F nar 5.3.4

GPS Rear Unit: 8R0 907 441 A

& 4L0 907 441 B

·
Registered
260 Posts
the info on the MMI display version number was:

MMI Front Display: HNAV_US-P0110_D1

Nav database version: 8R0060884F nar 5.3.4

GPS Rear Unit: 8R0 907 441 A

& 4L0 907 441 B
I actually haven't tried doing it, but in the engineering mode there is the possibility of changing the radio frequencies and the navigation database to different regions of the world. For the navi you might need the right DVD handy....

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
My thoughts would be how you load the EU map, as the one loaded on the HDD would be US.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
8R0 060 884 F

Actually it's not the NAV disk, it's the map version, the HDD nav units are updated with a license key bought from parts and then updated by the technicians as far as I know.

·
Registered
528 Posts
So someone should have a disk or SD card with the updated map and load it on your HD and activate this by license

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have family that works for VW in Wolfsburg and is contacting a co-worker on the Audi side of the house to work on a way to get the Europe Maps transferred onto the HDD of the 3g MMI 2010 US spec Audi's. I'll keep you guys posted on what they come up with.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Should have disc soon but not sure if will work

It's tough getting help from Audi Germany on this stuff they are locked up pretty tight.

If anyone has ideas SD card, firmware, VAG Com tricks please update this thread.

Vielen Dank!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm about to buy a U.S. Spec 2010 S4 for use in Germany. I also need European maps to run on the U.S. 3G MMI.

I just noticed that Harman (maker of the 3G MMI) also makes the Navi units for Lexus. This is horrible news because my friend owns a U.S. Spec Lexus w/ Navi in Germany and he absolutely cannot change the Navi to European spec. He's spent a lot of time trying to figure out a way, whether it's been hacking DVD's or headunits... It seems like a lost cause.

There has to be a way in the Audi. I refuse to believe that there are any significant differences between the U.S. and European spec cars that would make it so difficult to just flash the unit one way or the other. If there is, I might just have to throw my poop at Audi's front door.

- Jeremy -

·
Registered
22 Posts
We have one of our A4's at Audi tech here. I was able to get Audi Ingolstadt to assist with the problem and find a solution. Hopefully this can be solved.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Audi gave up

Audi Ingolstadt has relayed the message that it's impossible. A very short standard German message that "it's impossible". But also have gave no explanation as to why. They refuse to say why. Which leads me to think that they are lying.

The search continues to figure this one out!

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Audi Ingolstadt has relayed the message that it's impossible. A very short standard German message that "it's impossible"!
That's been the standard Audi reply to just about everything that we do...and it's usually untrue.

IMHO Audi saying "it's impossible" means "Audi can't be bothered"...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any new, anyone?

Hi,

I contacted an Audi shop in Finland regarding the issue. In short, they do not know how to do this. They also said that you can't just buy an new 5F module, because they come pre-programmed from the specific VIN from the factory. Meaning mine would come with the US maps and not the EU maps that I want.

They also said that to their knowledge there is no EU map update available yet.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You order a uk spec 5f then you install your 5f into a uk spec vehicle to down load the svm specific coding then swap them back but you need to change the coding for address 56 for uk market then run the latest cd rom update revision J to configure the sw versions although you may need to replace the radio control unit.You also need to find a dealer who will under take this as there are no guarantee's

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some update on this topic

Hi there,

I contacted an Audi shop in Scandinavia. The answer I got regarding the US to EU maps was quite encouraging. They basically said that :
- 3G MMI map updates for EU will be available in the spring.
- they had figured out the map coding differences for the 3G MMI NAV between EU and US, but hadn't tried it out in practice yet, as they haven't had a US 3G MMI in there yet (and the maps aren't available yet).
- 2G MMI is easy to convert, those they had converted a few.

So, seems like there might be light at the end of the tunnel after all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
any updates? converting US 2010 Q5 model to European Maps

Hi All - I just wanted to see if anyone had any updates to this discussion thread? I just purchased an Audi 2010 Q5 from the US and imported it to Europe. The dealership in the US said we would be able to update the Navigation system, but didn't leave us with instructions. We purchased the DVD for the 2009/2010 European maps, but have no idea how to install/switch the Navi to the European maps.
Any assistance is very much appreciated!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts