Audi Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all -

After years of searching, I finally found a US MK2 RNS-e with "RFSL" pin in C2. It appears to be out of an A3 from 2009 or 2010. The unit was not good cosmetically, but I have another good condition MK2 already, and the price was right (200 USD).

When the unit arrived, I discovered the DVD drive was not functioning properly. Upon removal it appears that one of the alignment rails for the laser had come out and was rolling around in the unit.

In the process of trying to re-install the alignment rail, I have unfortunately severed one ribbon cable - the one that goes from the drive board to the laser spinning and sliding mechanisms. Major disappointment.

At first I thought, well this is OK, I always was expecting to merge together my pretty unit (without RFSL) and my crumby new unit (with RFSL) to create one perfect unit that I would continue to use. I figured the swapping of parts would be limited to the face, buttons, screen, etc. In this case, i thought to myself, OK, I'll just swap the DVD drive over, too.

However, I have now learned through this message board (and others) that I cannot simply swap in the new DVD drive and expect it to work properly. The unit may not accept the PIN without the proper DVD drive, but there is not a lot of info out there. My DVD drive part number is DV35M110 followed by 9354TW06.

As a fix, I understand that I can move over my working DVD drive in addition to some other circuit boards, and the unit may function properly. However, is the board that I need also the one that enables the RFSL pin? My fear is that I will lose the RFSL capability if I move over the board and DVD drive from a non-RFSL unit.

It seems then my only other option is to carefully move the laser AND spinning mechanism from my "good" DVD drive to the one where I severed the ribbon cable. This would involve de-soldering where the two ribbon cables attach to the main DVD drive board. Basically swap the whole inside cage of the DVD drive that floats on those rubber air "cushions". I would hope that a new laser and spinning mech would not cause the PIN issues that others have described in MK2 units. Any thoughts?

Please help! I was so so close to finally having my MK2 + rear view cam that I have been longing for. Now I'm a bit gutted that I might have ruined everything.

If it matters, I have working PIN codes for both units.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK maybe I am mistaken. The circuit board I need to swap is the one inside my dvd drive. No other boards from the donor unit need to swap over. Is that correct? Maybe not so bad. 5-6 solder joints.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts