Audi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally received my GPS antenna but another issue. I have an EU RNS-E with H44 and software version 100. I am using a modified map. As far as I knew the solution to this was to upgrade the software which I did from 060 to 100. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I was recently on a road trip through Kansas and saw the missing street issue the first time. Here in Chicago I never expirienced this issue. While navigation was working great, I couldn't see the very small streets although I saw the names and the split screen when turning showed all streets too. It looks like they are coded with a color the EU unit is not able to display.

My EU unit is HW53/SW0100, so this shouldn't be the reason for the issue. I suppose the only solution would be to upgrade to the US software (which nobody managed to do so far).

·
Registered
515 Posts
i have an EU unit HW44/SW0100 and a modified US DVD..

in southern california i have been able to see all the little streets in my area, but i zoomed in on my home town in rural Pennsylvania -- the street names where there, but not the actual streets..

i guess the small roads in rural PA are a different catergory than the roads i have found in CA.. i will look around some of the mountain and desert areas in CA to see if the actual streets are displayed..

crap, it looks like this issue still exists (missing streets issue, street names, but no street line)..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I guess there is no solution to the missing streets issue? the main roads are displayed but only the names of the streets are shown in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
515 Posts
i test it some more last night and found in the small streets in mountains (mammoth lakes, ca) were also missing.. the street names were there, but not the streets..

again i have updated to SW 0100..

looks like we have more work to do..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The missing streets issue is very annoying. Most of the streets in my town are in the "missing" category.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Maybe those streets are gone :D

but seriously...I think there is some parameter on DVD, some related to map/scale calculation. I don't really think that is color issue. LCDs on both units are the same.

I guess somone with enough knowledge need to take a look into those modified files (maybe not everything is modified) :shock:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I happend to be in Denver yesterday and noticed that all the little side streets showed up fine, even in remote outlaying suburban neighborhoods. I think this is an issue in smaller, rural towns, must be some setting that has to do with size of the street as well as location, whether in vicinity of a large metropolitan area or very far from it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As far as I can tell from the KIWI specification, each type of street is given a different "level". That level is then mapped to a color, whether the road can be used for route guidance, and how fast you can drive on it.

Unfortunately, it appears the US map and the EU firmware don't match-up, so it doesn't know how to paint the small streets.

This also causes errors in the calculation of your ETA, so the RNS-E thinks your favorite shortcut will take 3 times as long as it really does.

--Dave

·
Registered
515 Posts
cross post from AudiNav yahoo group..

Subject: RNS-E Missing Streets Issue Explained

Since I happen to own both the US and European versions of the RNS-E,
I can shed a little light on the "Missing Streets" issue.

Here are the differences between the US and European color schemes:

Road Type | US Version | EU Version
---------------------------------------------|--------------|-----------
Limited Access Divided Highway (free) | Purple/Red | Yellow/Red
Limited Access Divided Highway (toll) | Yellow/Red | Yellow/Red
US, State, or Major 2-lane Highway | Red | Yellow
County Road, Major Street | Yellow | White/Gray
Mid-size Street or Road | White/Gray | Gray
Side Street | Gray | Gray?
IPD Road (In Progress Data) | Lt. Gray | Invisible

The red roads don't appear on my EU unit, and that throws off all of
the other roads by one "level." I'm not positive about the dark gray
roads. I don't have any of them nearby.

This is interesting:

The IPD Roads are the ones that are invisible. According to the US
manual, "IPD means 'in-progress-data', i.e. data collection is
incomplete and consequently they cannot be included for route
guidance."

The US version will NOT use these roads for routing, even if they are
at the endpoint of a route. When you get to a gray road, the nav
system says "You have arrived in the vicinity of your destination."
When you are driving on an IPD road, the DIS shows "IPD:ELM ST", for
example, and shows you an arrow as if you were off road.

The EU version does not display the IPD roads. They are invisible.
However, the EU version DOES use these roads for routing, if they
are at the beginning or the end of your route. They become visible
when the blue route is drawn on them. Weird.

So obviously the routing data is there, but the US version doesn't
use it. This is very disappointing. I had hoped paying a $1000+
premium and waiting 2 months would have finally fixed the problem.

Can any of our European friends comment on this? Did the European RNS-
E display IPD roads prior to the 0100 firmware release?

--Dave

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Nice summary. However, at least here in Chicago, tollways are not shown on the EU unit. They are simply invisible unless required for the current route, in which case they appear light blue in front of you and invisible once you passed that point. I have seen similar in Kansas, therefore I assume that all US toll highways (shown yellow/red on the US unit) are invisible.

When such US toll highways are used within an active route, the timing seems to be OK. The side streets in rural areas however do seem to cause a noticable offset when calculating the time to arrival.

If everything works out as planned I should be getting a US unit in a couple of weeks which then allows me to spend some more time on the EU unit. I still think that it should be possible to load the US software on a EU device or modify the US DVD in a different way to better play with the EU software.

·
Registered
515 Posts
i just wanted to add that toll road 73 in southern california is missing as well..

though as audia4b6us described, when nav'ing on the invisible toll road in front of you is highlighted blue and behind you is invisible..

i think it is safe to say all toll roads will not be displayed..

anyone working on a fix??.. i am happy to offer resources, but i dont have the faintest clue how to go about doing it myself..

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I'm expecting to get an "E" unit in a couple of days. As soon as my "C" unit is no longer in use I will take another look at the map data and software. As far as I know, nobody ever confirmed that the published patch only changes required files nor did someone try to load the US software on the EU device. However, from the early days I seem to remember, that some had at least the audio/radio software from the US device loaded on their EU unit (by accident so to say).

·
Registered
515 Posts
great to hear you found an "E".. anxious to hear about confirmed differences..

that would be awesome some of the bugs were fixed..

good luck.. be sure to report what you learn..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts