Audi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thanks to Lee i have managed to retrofit the mfsw to my a4 b5, but came across a few things that may help others.

if you replace the steering slip ring, which also contains the steering angle sensor for esp, then you will need to recalibrate/zero the new slip ring as well as recode the abs module. same thing happens if you power up the ignition with the existing slip ring disconnected.

this also loses the soft coding of the abs controller as well which in turn disables both the abs and the esp.....which is where i found myself.

you cant recalibrate the slipring unless you recode the abs controller first with the ignition still on, and both the abs coding and slip ring calibration can only be done if you use specific login codes (different for each operation) with vagcom

the abs coding depends on the engine, gearbox and brake calipers and the vagcom login code depends on the soft coding of the abs module...

ESP, Electronic-Stability-Program Bosch 5.3
Encoding control unit
After installation of a new control unit -J104 or a new steering angle sensor -G85 the ESP system must be encoded again. After encoding the steering angle sensor compensation must be performed.
Encoding of ESP control unit is designed to adapt the control unit to the vehicle.
Zero position compensation must then be performed for steering angle sender -G85.
Coding is only possible after the workshop code (WSC) has been entered into V.A.G 1551.
Note:
If control unit has been encoded with code 00000 or with a code not appropriate to the vehicle the ABS warning lamp (K47) and the TCS/ESP warning lamp (K86) will light up continuously and the fault 01044-Control unit incorrectly codedwill be stored in the fault memory of the control unit.
The brake caliper type must be determined in order to perform the login procedure and the encoding (see illustrations below).

Type of engine Gearbox version Brake caliper type (front) Login code
4 cyl. petrol engine Manual gearbox C54 Lucas 09675
4 cyl. petrol engine Manual gearbox FN3 Teves/ATE 09575
4 cyl. petrol engine Automatic gearbox C54 Lucas 09677
4 cyl. petrol engine Automatic gearbox FN3 Teves/ATE 09577
6 cyl. petrol engine Manual gearbox FN3 Teves/ATE 09595
6 cylinder turbo engine Manual gearbox FN 2/ HP2 double piston brake caliper 09495
6 cyl. petrol engine Automatic gearbox FN3 Teves/ATE 09597
6 cyl. petrol engine Automatic gearbox HP2 double piston brake caliper 09497
4-cylinder diesel engine Manual gearbox C54 Lucas 09655
4/6 cyl diesel engine Manual gearbox FN3 Teves/ATE 09555
4-cylinder diesel engine Automatic gearbox C54 Lucas 09677
4/6 cyl diesel engine Automatic gearbox FN3 Teves/ATE 09557

ESP coding table
Type of engine Gearbox version Brake caliper type (front) Coding
4 cyl. petrol engine Manual gearbox C54 Lucas 04175
4 cyl. petrol engine Manual gearbox FN3 Teves/ATE 04275
4 cyl. petrol engine Automatic gearbox C54 Lucas 04177
4 cyl. petrol engine Automatic gearbox FN3 Teves/ATE 04277
6 cyl. petrol engine Manual gearbox FN3 Teves/ATE 04295
6 cylinder turbo engine Manual gearbox FN 2/ HP2 double piston brake caliper 04395
6 cyl. petrol engine Automatic gearbox FN3 Teves/ATE 04297
6 cyl. petrol engine Automatic gearbox HP2 double piston brake caliper 04397
4-cylinder diesel engine Manual gearbox C54 Lucas 04155
4/6 cyl diesel engine Manual gearbox FN3 Teves/ATE 04255
4-cylinder diesel engine Automatic gearbox C54 Lucas 04177
4/6 cyl diesel engine Automatic gearbox FN3 Teves/ATE 04257

ESP, Electronic-Stability-Program Bosch 5.3
Steering angle sender -G85 zero position compensation
• ‒ Zero position compensation with the steering angle sender G-85 must now be performed.
• ‒ To initialise steering angle sender, turn steering wheel at least 10 degrees in any direction
• ‒ Move steering to zero position. Maximum tolerance ± 5 degrees
Note:
The diagnosis must not be terminated nor the ignition switched off between the procedures "Encoding control unit" and "Steering angle sensor compensation". Otherwise the entire process would have to be repeated.

still in abs module after doing the above,
login with code number 40168
04 basic settings
001 go (this may have automatically gone in if you pressed the up arrow key by the channel selector)
so the message should say Steer. angle sender compens. OK

in summary, after doing the module soft coding with the correct login, you make the appropriate steering wheel movements as above then you relogin using the number 40168 and trigger the steering zero calibration
through basic settings channel 1 - if you use [/table]

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pins and plugs needed

i forgot - if you upgrade the slip ring you need a 5 pin plug housing to connect the power to the module inside the steering wheel - this plug fits onto the back of the slip ring ( you wouldnt have one before)

its black, has 5 pins and is 4B0 973 605

and you need wires with pins to connect to this plug (0v and 12v) and also a singole wire between the yellow 5 pin plug inside the wheel (horn and airbag as well) and the wheel inner modult - this is the wire that transmits the button data - these wires/pins are all the same -

000 979 018 so you will need 2 of these wires to cut in half giving 4 pins.

the new slip ring comes complete with a black connector and 2 wires that run inside the wheel and pass on the 0v and 12v to the wheel internal module.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I was playing with my control module and I got softcoding set to 00000 which causes ABS/ESP light.

I tried to change softcoding to match my specs but after code is changed and I'm closing VAG, coding is cleared again.

Is there any extra step to take?

This is my 03 - ABS VAG reading

This is my 16 - Steering Wheel VAG reading

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Nevermind :D I was at the dealers for power steering fluid and they did it for me free of charge.

I know - I'm lazy :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.