Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to add MFSW + Tiptronc + Heated wheel to my 2003 allroad. The parts arrived today ..... I have a 60+ page write up as a late draft covering research and design. If there is some interst, I'll photograph the installation as well.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Progress Update

Ah ha! Some interest. Thanks folks.

Part 1 is almost finished. This documents how I went about finding out if it was possible to do the work. It explains all the bits needed, with photo's and gives part numbers and costs. It covers wiring, harness design, controller coding, tools required, possible pitfalls and how to avoid them - in short, everything other than doing the work! The idea was that when I do do it, all the problems would have been identified and solutions found. Time will tell!

I have one connector compatibilty problem left to sort out, but that will be done by the end of this week. NSX JR has kindly offered to host this part of the write up in the 'Downloads' section on his Web site. It should be available by the end of October 2006.

I have the parts, and will start installing them on 21st October. I have been working up a shooting script for Part 2 - "Doing it". It will be done as a PowerPoint presentation (Thanks, Ted!) with photo's and some bullet points, then converted to .pdf. It should be available by 20th December - in time for Xmas.

Part 2 will present the implementation as a series of stages. The idea is that you can have your car back on the road between doing each stage if you want to. You do not have to do it all at once. There is quite a lot to do, as unlike other MFSW installations, there is nothing there to start with. We have to do the lot!

I have used new parts, so my solution is expensive. If you shop around (carefully for air bags, please) you will be able to reduce the cost considerably.

It would be very helpful if you can give me some idea of how much detail you would like to see in the photo shoot.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MFSW for C5, B5, D2 and TT

Hi Folks, the rain woke me up early! Ignore the clock - it's 6.30AM here.

Ted and I have been putting some considerable effort into making the documentation more Generic and we have made really good progress. It now addresses a wider platform range and non-Tiptronic as well as Tiptronic applications and even endeavours to cater for people who do not live in the UK! I have had to move on to a more powerful computer ....

Ted has also been putting a lot of effective work into reducing the installation costs. It is now possible to do this for around $600 US, which is less than a third of the cost using all new parts in the UK.

All the framework for Part 2 is now there - got the headings and the bullet points - need to shoot the photo's and that starts later today. I now think it is possible to build up the MFSW harness outside the car ... in the warmth of the house ... so I have rather changed the original concept of a staged approach so that you now take everything out, install harness and then put it all back together.

Part 1, a wonderful bedtime read, is now at issue status and will be with NSX-JR by the end of this month, as promised.

I want to put some effort into the Photo's for part 2 - I'm learning all this on the way - which is why the target date for it is late December. I anticipate having the install itslf completed by the end of this week.

Bob

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
C5 MFSW Blog #1

I thought I'd report progress as I go. The harness is now made up and ready. I found a couple of errors in my write up. How did those get there :) The harness only has 17 wires, so it is if anything less complex than the Plug 'n play adapters for RNS-E. It is two sub-harnesses at present, they will be merged once I can see how much slack is requred around one connector (Td5) that is behind the slip ring - I have not stripped the car down yet - that should be easy enough - trim removal to do this is very easy.

I used repair wires, and soldered them on to colour coded wire runs where the extra length was needed. I have a very effective way of making a neat and compact soldered joint - about half the diameter of a butt crimp. The best way of making up this harness would be to use the pins and crimp them on directly. I have the tooling for this, but not a ready source of the pins. I also would have had a problem identifying what was needed - much easier now, of course - I have them in front of me.

For the record, most of what I am documenting will also be of use to owners of B5, D2 and TT platforms. It does not apply to B6, B7 or A3 ones. PROXUS has done an excellent job of covering B6 and B7.

Next steps are to clear up upstairs where I built the harness (i am not a very tidy worker ...) and then to prepare the car.

Bob

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Blog 2

Tested both parts of the harness today for continuity - all ok. Took some photo's. Realised I had forgotten to twist the CAN Bus wires before I taped them up, so corrected that. I have put a CAN bus extension on from the Controller mounting plate for the future addition of BT phone set up. CAN bus feed is taken from behind the cluster so that MFSW functionality is not lost if RNS-E adapter is removed. I am quite pleased with the look of the harness, the fabric tape makes it more flexible and has that 'factory fit' look to it.

More tomorrow.

Bob

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blog 3: Here we go

Started at 9 AM this morning (It's Friday 27th). It's now 11.15 here. Old air bag out, non MFSW wheel off, old slip ring unit out and cluster out.

Photo's being taken at each step.

I am now up to step 50 of124 steps.

Time for tea. Well, it is England! Hmm, must add that to the write up.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Blog 4: The fun continues

Now just after 1pm. Nav unit out, climate control head out - and yes, the switch pin to turn the heated wheel on and off is there! Ash tray out - Factory wokshop manual not quite correct - gear knob off, that was fun! The wood faced trim around the selector has been removed ok, I am just left with the metal surround - which is held in place with six tabs, all of which need to be released together .... Time for more tea! Once this is off, I have access to all the wires I need. If you do this, and you do not want Tip controls and a heated wheel, none of this 'Blog 3' post is needed.

I am up to step 61 now. Lunchtime!

Bob

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Blog 5: Yes, It's tea time

Just coming up to 3pm. I have discovered there is no need to remove the Tiptronic Gear Knob and the protective metal trim over the Tip Switch PCB - this simplifies things a lot for others.

The controller mounting plate is now in place. I had to release the fuse box (two screws and one tab) and release the 8 way micro central panel to get the controller mount in from behind. This was due to a large harness being in the way.

I am now up to step 68. The next thing is to run the harness wires in, connect up, and put the trim back. Nothing to this really ....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Weekend Finish?

I do hope so, Lee. Progress was rapid to start with, but slowed down. I was very pleased the ESP coding data checked out - the right soft code came up when I Vag'd the ABS/ESP before I started. Determing that had been my biggest concern - not in the Bentley manual, as you know. Having all the steps worked out first is also immensley helpful - even if a few are getting re-arranged! Crimping would speed things up a lot but it all came apart fairly easily. Some of it has even been put back! I've not had any problems with tight screws/bolts - I think the trick is to have good quality tools. I had released the cluster screws earlier, when the wheel was still on, and it was easy with a long reach Phillips screwdriver. The other trick I've used, and I hope this is not open to misinterpretation in US English, is to use petroleum jelly (we say 'Vasoline') to hold small bolts and screws on to the driver when removing/inserting them. There's a couple that are a bit tricky otherwise. Anyway, thanks for your interest, support and advice - it's a big help to know I'm fitting the right controller! Mind you, I'm left wondering just how you found out!

Cheers
Bob

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Only one way to find out...trial and error of course! Don't forget that the bentley manual coding is wrong for the MFSW controller as well. The F module must be coded 0100x and the H version must be 0101x. The correct diagram is attached below for future reference.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"We progress through error" has always been one of my favourite lines. Thanks for posting the coding table - from memory (!) it lools like the Audi UK version I have in the file - I'll check tomorrow. Young Martyn has been very kind ....

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Use the Album IMG tag (siteimg)
[siteimg:d5ed3fb56a]624[/siteimg:d5ed3fb56a]

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
More Help!

Thanks for the fast repy. Must be late, did not seem to work - can you explain the process a little more fully, please? What have you entered to get the picture up?

I clicked "Album IMG" pasted in "http://www.navplus.us/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=624" and clicked "Album IMG" again.

What have I done wrong?

Bob

1 - 20 of 56 Posts