Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to keep going on but this is a big deal for me, one thing i realised is Audi wont touch your airbags if you have modified them.

so i have completed my MFSW retro fit from a b6 wheel to the b7 MFSW. and had a few problems on the way with the airbag light kept coming on, after help i realised i rewired the big yellow connector incorrectly ie cut the wires and joined them together but didnt leave 5 and 6 on the plug end cut and isolated. after doing the correct proceedure my airbag light went off and stayed off for 6 weeks.

then a couple of weeks ago it came back on, so i thought just a freak glitch cleared the fault in vag com and it was sorted for a further two weeks.

then it came on again, so i thought it maust be a loose connection or wire took everything back off and went through it all put it back together all wiring ok and now it comes on every day.

heres where i need some opinions i can clear the airbag light fault and it will be fine all day stop the car turn it off get back in no light but after leaving it over night i get in the car start it up light goes out as it should and then without moving the car it comes back on after about 30 seconds

the other thing i wanted an opinion on is i have a fault on the car which shows up in steering wheel and other modules but not the airbag module it is this

VAG-COM Version: Release 607.2-UD

Control Module Part Number: 8E0 907 279 F
Component and/or Version: int. Lastmodul RDW 0517
Software Coding: 00001
Work Shop Code: WSC 00116
1 Fault Found:
01331 - Door Control Module; Driver Side (J386)
49-00 - No Communications

would this cause the fault on the airbag light, the airbag fault is sometimes lower limit exceeded on drivers side airbag igniter, or it says fault unknown or DTC not recognised

this is my last chance of help as Audi dont want to know and i have not got my old steering wheel anymore so i cant swap back.

i hope the people who have done this retro can help also has Proxus and Todd had the issue with the airbag light

thanks for reading this long winded plea!!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
same to me

hi i did the retro fit and have this "lower limit exceeded "error also.. it can t be so difficult to find this.. maybe now we are in my work enviroment.. am i right that talking about the "lower limit exceeded" there is also a possibility to have a "Upper limit exceeded" if yes.. then i can imagine that this has to do something with the dual stage airbag system....and as i remember well i had this when i didn t do the airbag harness rewiring the higher limit exceeded". so there could be an issue maybe. is there a possiblity to trace the electronic diagram from the controller unit where the airbag is connected with. an other question the part number for the controller / S/C ring are they used in the B6 or in the B7 models. if in the B7 models they are dual stages prepared. i just got the number from the forum, i thought lost of people used it allready in the retrofit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
airbag harness

question if i disconnect the airbag (airbag harness-the yellow connector with the purple slot) do i have to recode 03 ABS/brakes again... i don t think so but want to know for sure...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No you will not have to recode anything if you disconnect the yellow 12 pin plug

but disconnect the earth strap on the battery when playing with the airbags

·
Registered
78 Posts
airbag

i found on a german forum something about Module 15 airbag.. each group number stays for an airbag to enable and disable..if in dual stage mode they is one to be disabled one of the stages or has to be simulated that it is there.. i can imagine that..i have to wait for my yellow connector first of all to join you to search for the problem.. what are todd1010 and proxus idea??

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they havnt responded there are many clever people on this site to say it could be this it could be that.

but i thought this would be the way

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when you get your yellow connector take the pins out carefully from your old plug yellow should be in pin number 1 this is + and white should be in pin number 2 this is -

on your new plug slide the purple blade sideways and insert the two wires in the pin numbers that are the same as your old one.

the new plug is marked 1 2 3 4 :)

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Oh guys today the Airbag fault in my A4 has reappeared. :( :( :(
The fault it's always the following:
00588 - Airbag Igniter Driver Side (N95)
002 - Lower limit Exceeded - Intermittent - MIL ON

I don't undestand why this happends, this is the third time, every 7 days the problem comes back.
Today it was impossible for me to unmount the Airbag for an inspection but next week-end I want to control the connections hoping to find one loosened but the fault says intermittent and after the clearing operation everything seems ok :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine is exactly the same

and i can clear the fault and it will be fine that day but left overnight as soon as i get in the car the next day start the engine its back on after 1 minute of the engine running.

i have checked this wiring over and over again and i cant find any problems

i really think this retro fit cant be done seems to me the car does not like a dual stage converted to single stage.

a Audi Tech guy suggested to me the voltage being split could reduce the amout of power t the airbags and this could be the issue i dont think so but i got thinking why couldnt we take the yellow and white wire in the 4 pin plug and join 2 more wires to the yellow and white and insert the pins into the 2 vacant holes giving 2 satge at this plug then the 12 pin harness would not have to be modified.

·
Registered
78 Posts
ok

ok when this is the solution to use those other 2 pins were are they originaly coming from i mean in the normal B7 cars there are 4 wires in the yellow connector is there a way to find out were they are coming from.. indeed to simulate the dual stage. a different question: do you think the problem is solved when we would connect just one part of the airbag..(just for test of course because we want the airbag to work completly) maybe the power is not going down. i can imagine that putting to airbags parallel you reduce the resistance to half and double the current so your +12v ( if it is +12V of course) is going down to +10v or maybe less...
or when it is for example +5v used for the airbag control if the to high current is flowing thruh the airbags is to high and brings to power down to let say..+3.5v or something like that i can imagine that high(1= in electronic terms) is not really a high anymore sometimes..and the situation will be .. a yess yyes no yess no... and there the signal for the error is triggered.

when the circuit is based on a high and low signal the low has to be really 0 Volt and the high has to be a real high (+5v or +12V) and not something arround +3.5V or +4V) because the electronic gate on the chips doesn t know it any more, and signals an error.
(SORRY FOR MY BAD TECHNICAL ENGLISH)

that is why i asked for a wirning diagram to see what electronics are used in the airbag power part... so we can solve the problem or create a perfect work arround. i hope i made myself a bit clear.

·
Registered
78 Posts
yes

and yes a4ss4abt i saw this same error also already in my vagcom when i finished the retrofit.. but ok i still have to wait for the already famous yellow connector of course

·
Registered
78 Posts
other

from the other hand...... if this new controller is developed for the dual stage are bag there could be an open circuit not? those pins 5 an 6 from the harness lead to....??.....inside the controller.

·
Registered
78 Posts
found

this is what i found:

Airbags are not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. That code is set because it detects too high of a resistance(meaning an open) Theres a TSB on this code. I worked as a VW tech but havent done so in a 1 year and a half so I cant remember if it was just the clock spring(easy replacement) or if it was the one where we spliced the clock spring harness with new connectors. Your pigtail harness to the airbag might also be coming loose(seen it before) and could throw that code.
If you decide to look into it much further first disconnect the battery. then pull off your airbag. I will check to see if I still have that TSB around in my papers.

Good luck.

EDIT: Just checked the TSB and for 00588 low resistance we spliced the harness to the clock spring so yours I would say is either the clock spring or the pigtail harness is coming loose on your airbag. Or might be a faulty airbag(which is very rare).

Fixed it! Turns out on of the ground plugs was loose on the airbag module. Just reseated it and ba-boom, no more fault code. I am a happy guy
I just cannot justify how VW dealers can charge $197 to do a diagnostic. Thanks again vag-com.

Thats pretty sweet..i had the same exact code in my car, and resetted it once. I came back on after two weeks and complained to VW corporate after and the dealer replaced it for free. The harness had to be replaced

have the same code on my mk3 for a while now, but didn't have any idea what to look for. Can you give more details??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took off the airbag and there are one yellow harness and two ground connects. One of the ground connect was not seated down all the way so I simply reseated it.
The TB saids the yellow connector might not be secure also so I would check all three and make sure they are snugged.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
livefour2day said:
Mine is exactly the same

and i can clear the fault and it will be fine that day but left overnight as soon as i get in the car the next day start the engine its back on after 1 minute of the engine running.

i have checked this wiring over and over again and i cant find any problems

i really think this retro fit cant be done seems to me the car does not like a dual stage converted to single stage.

a Audi Tech guy suggested to me the voltage being split could reduce the amout of power t the airbags and this could be the issue i dont think so but i got thinking why couldnt we take the yellow and white wire in the 4 pin plug and join 2 more wires to the yellow and white and insert the pins into the 2 vacant holes giving 2 satge at this plug then the 12 pin harness would not have to be modified.
At the beginning of my retrofit I did the parallel of the 4 pins directly before the yellow connector and the lamp was always on so I've been obliged to isolate pin 3/4 before the yellow connector and to do the parallel in the airbag harness. After doing that no faults during the last 6 months. Now there must be something of wrong in the connection :shock:

·
Registered
78 Posts
now

where did you do the pin 3 and 4 now i assume in the harness ....i did it in the cap of the yellow connector.. if that is what you mean? i can imagine somthing like a leaking ground wire..... is the ground in the harness equal or let me call it a real ground from the car. how did you ¨parallel the wires .. soldering?? and after that isolate the separate pairs. if yes that can not be the problem.... sounds more a earth problem... do you have any power different between ground in the harness and ground from the car.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Re: now

charly_holland said:
where did you do the pin 3 and 4 now i assume in the harness ....i did it in the cap of the yellow connector.. if that is what you mean? i can imagine somthing like a leaking ground wire..... is the ground in the harness equal or let me call it a real ground from the car. how did you ¨parallel the wires .. soldering?? and after that isolate the separate pairs. if yes that can not be the problem.... sounds more a earth problem... do you have any power different between ground in the harness and ground from the car.
The yellow connector i mean is the new one we have changed rear the S/C RING not the big 12 pins where the airbag harness fits. And....yes we all have soldered the wires for the parallel and for sure isolate the separate pairs. I'm not a professional but i'm not stupid. Heart problems? why after 6 months?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have not one exact solution to your Airbag problems, sorry guys!
:shock:

But, assuming that 'a4ss4abt' B7 airbag setup, worked for 6 mouths without problems.
The 'hight/low Lower limit Exceeded' default appear too strange after this long time douring time.

On my second Car,
one Touareg, once, the Airbag warning light goes on ( momentary seat pressure button default ).
So, I restored by vag-com the error only on the Airbag channel; the result of this, was that, after 1 day, the warning light goes on again!! :roll:

To solve,
I get one total car defaults resetting code , and only so, I solved the problem.:D

Do you do one total car defaults resetting too? :?:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
rosnik said:
I have not one exact solution to your Airbag problems, sorry guys!
:shock:

But, assuming that 'a4ss4abt' B7 airbag setup, worked for 6 mouths without problems.
The 'hight/low Lower limit Exceeded' default appear too strange after this long time douring time.

On my second Car,
one Touareg, once, the Airbag warning light goes on ( momentary seat pressure button default ).
So, I restored by vag-com the error only on the Airbag channel; the result of this, was that, after 1 day, the warning light goes on again!! :roll:

To solve,
I get one total car defaults resetting code , and only so, I solved the problem.:D

Do you do one total car defaults resetting too? :?:
Yes off course but not every time.With the firsts 2 faults it was only cleared in 15 Controller. I don't think this will be relevant but it's done

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i e mailed Vag com and they are trying to help they said this is what the fault code means

"Intermittent" means that the conditions that caused the fault were not present at the time when you scanned it with VAG-COM.

is this logical as i have a therory

my airbag light worked fine for 6 weeks when the weather was dry and warm it started to come on when the weather was wet or cold.

now could this be a voltage issue does a car use less voltage to start on a warm dry day than a cold wet one if so is the voltage drop triggering the airbag light.

as i said i can clear the fault after the car has been running and nothing all day no matter how many times i turn the engine off get out of the car or leave it standing but as soon as i leave it over night it comes on in the morning.

i am thinking of just hooking up the single stage part of the airbag i think this means high which means no deploy on minor crash and full deploy on big crash if i am correct which wires do i connect now i am right in thinking just 5 and 6 and leaving 3 and 4

what do you guys think

·
Registered
78 Posts
problem

tonight i spoke a guy from the garage who has swap lots of airbag and so... he says...........what i was thinking..

the airbag circuit has a resistance(resistor), that resistance in in the airbag, so each airbag has it s own resistance, let says> every airbag has is a resistor of 10 OHM. and the control unit has a upper and lower level.

the lower level means NOT enough resistance, the upper level means TOO much resistance. i can imagine that because when you put the 2 airbags parallel you get 10/2=5 OHM resistance and that can be under level.
he said did you try already with connecting just one airbag and leave the other disconnected. he also said don t put connect any elactronics to the airbag because it will trigger the airbag and it will EXPLODE.!

i still don t have the yellow connector but if someone want to try something what you can do is.
take some resistors different values.. and do the next experiment.

- disconnect one of the 2 pins from the airbag (with the battery disconnected of of course!!!

leave the 2 paires of airbag wires parallel but put in between one set the resistor.

so for example from pin 3 of the harness to the ressistor and from the other site of the resistor to the 2 wires which are soldered together.

so the resistor will be in a chain with the airbag connected to pin 4(airbag wires) and to pin 3 (resistor). reconnect the harness and put the battery back on again.

the total resistance over the single stage airbag connection will be higher now. and the "002 - Lower limit Exceeded - Intermittent - MIL ON" should be gone.

this is one site the other site is to find out when exactly the Upper limit exceede is triggered.

so next step is to put an other resistor in the chain. so from

pin3 -> resistor 10 ohm -> resistor 5 ohm -> airbag wires (left)->airbag-> airbag wires right -> pin 4

onces we know the lower level trigger point and the upper level trigger point. we have to take a resistor perfect ressitor to end with.

so that the airbag is leveled right in the middle..

someone want to try to find out.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts